[영문-smi] Suicide.Club.2002.DVDRip.XviD-TheWretched 1CD

Jisatsu circle (2002)   

Directed by
Shion Sono

Writing credits
Shion Sono

Add to
MyMovies
Plot Outline: A detective is trying to find the cause of a string of suicides. (more)

User Comments: Absolutely brilliant, scathing satire (more)

User Rating:  7.3/10 (62 votes) 

Credited cast: 
Ryo Ishibashi ....  Detective Kuroda
Masatoshi Nagase 
Tamao Sato 
  (more)

Also Known As:
Suicide Club (2002) (International: English title) (USA: festival title)
Runtime: 99 min / Argentina:99 min (Buenos Aires Festival Internacional de Cine Independiente) / Netherlands:99 min (International Film Festival Rotterdam)
Language: Japanese
Color: Color

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

Mandi Collingridge (mandiapple)
Wiltshire, UK

Date: 17 January 2003
Summary: Absolutely brilliant, scathing satire

I have to say, I totally loved this film... after having waited for over a year to see it, it really did not disappoint. IMHO, it is at heart a really biting, gallows-humoured satire on Japanese youth, with special emphasis on how they embrace any old fad, and how becoming famous is everything.

It kind of reminds me of that old adage "If all your friends decided to jump off a high building, you wouldn't do it, would you?" According to Sion Sono, Japanese teenagers *would* - that's how easily swayed they are, even to the point of starting up copycat 'suicide clubs' across the country - at one point, one of the detectives assigned to try to halt the mysterious wave of suicides says explicitly, "Better not let the idea of 'Suicide Club' get out, otherwise kids all over Japan will be killing themselves".

It's a complex film with many different themes which stands up to multiple viewings very well, and the performances (especially Ryo Ishibashi) are excellent. It's also very resonant and will leave you thinking for several days afterwards. Plus, it's very... VERY gory in places, but not unnecessarily so, and the cinematography for the most part is beautifully shot and understated. I recommend this film very highly indeed!

Comments