월드챔스 직전 브라이어 오서 USA Today 인터뷰 기사

자유게시판

월드챔스 직전 브라이어 오서 USA Today 인터뷰 기사

M 再會 2 7174 0
원문링크: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2009-03-25-orser-coach_N.htm

Now a coach, Brian Orser still chases Olympic figure skating gold

이제는 코치로서, 브라이언 오서는 여전히

올림픽 피겨스케이팅 금메달을 추구한다

LOS ANGELES — What if an athlete who endured the most crushing disappointment on the grandest stage in his sport got a chance to try again two decades later, not exactly the same way, but close?

가장 큰 무대에서 가장 충격적인 낙담을 맛보고 그것을 견뎌낸 운동 선수가 20년 후, 완전히 같은 방법으로는 아니지만 비슷한 방법으로, 다시 도전할 기회를 갖게 되었다면 어떻겠는가?

In 1988, Canadian Brian Orser was one of the finest figure skaters of his generation, the Olympic silver medalist four years earlier, the world champion the year before. He came into the Winter Olympics in his home country, in Calgary, facing almost unbearable pressure. Surrounded by an entourage to help him keep it together, Orser performed admirably. He didn't fall. He thought he skated well enough to win.

1988년, 캐나다의 브라이언 오서는 그 세대의 가장 뛰어난 스케이터 중 하나였다. 4년 전 올림픽 은메달리스트였고, 직전 해 세계선수권자였다. 그는 이겨내는 것이 거의 불가능한 부담을 안은 채 모국의 캘거리에서 열린 동계올림픽에 출전했다. 그가 침착하게 대처할 수 있도록 도와주는 환경에 힘입어, 오서는 경탄할 만한 연기를 펼쳤다. 그는 넘어지지 않았다. 그는 이길 수 있을 정도로 충분히 잘 탔다고 생각했다.

But he didn't win. By one-tenth of one point on one judge's scorecard, he came in second that night to American Brian Boitano, who skated superbly to win the so-called "Battle of the Brians."

A few minutes after the competition, the two men passed each other in the dressing room, and Boitano will never forget what he saw: Orser trudging slowly, still in his skates, his mouth open, his eyes glazed, flowers hanging limply in his arms. Orser walked into the bathroom and lay down on the floor by the showers.

그러나 그는 이기지 못했다. 한 심판의 스코어카드에 찍힌 소숫점 단위의 점수 차이로, 그는 그날 밤 최고의 경기를 펼쳐 소위 "브라이언의 전쟁"에서 승리한 미국의 브라이언 보이타노에 이어 2위에 그쳤다.

경기가 끝나고 몇 분 후, 그 둘은 탈의실에서 서로를 지나쳤고, 보이타노는 그가 본 것을 절대 잊을 수 없을 것이다; 오서는 여전히 스케이트를 신고, 입을 벌린 채,  흐릿한 눈을 하고, 꽃다발을 흐느적흐느적 팔에 걸친 상태로 천천히 터벅터벅 걸어왔다. 오서는 화장실로 걸어들어가 샤워기 옆 바닥에 드러누웠다.

Boitano followed to see if he was all right.

"What can I say?" Boitano asked.

"Nothing," Orser replied.

It took Orser 10 years before he could watch a tape of his performance that night. Ten years, he said, before he got over it. After touring in skating shows for many years, he decided three years ago to get into coaching in Toronto.

보이타노는 그가 괜찮은지 보기 위해 따라 들어왔다.

"내가 뭐라고 해야 할까?" 보이타노가 물었다.

"아무 말도." 오서는 대답했다.

그 날 밤의 경기 테이프를 오서가 다시 볼 수 있게 되기까지는 10년이 걸렸다. 그것을 극복하는 데 10년이 필요했던 것이다. 여러 해 동안 아이스쇼 투어를 한 뒤, 3년 전 그는 토론토에서 코칭을 시작하기로 결심했다.

As it happened, a brilliant young South Korean skater who was already training at the Toronto rink asked Orser, now 47, to be her coach. Orser said yes, and in 2007 took her to her first world championships, where she finished third.

얼마 후, 이미 토론토 링크에서 훈련중이던 반짝반짝 빛나는 한국의 어린 스케이터가, 이제 47세가 된 오서에게 그녀의 코치가 되어달라고 부탁했다. 오서는 승낙했고, 2007년에 그녀의 첫 세계선수권에 동행했으며, 그 대회에서 그녀는 3위에 올랐다.

Kim Yu-Na finished third again at last year's world championships — and has placed first, first and second at the last three Grand Prix finals. She could win her first world championship in women's figure skating here this week, 11 months before the 2010 Olympic Games, with Orser, of course, by her side.

지난 해의 세계선수권에서 김연아는 다시 3위에 올랐다 - 그리고 지난 세 차례의 그랑프리 파이널에서 그녀는 1위, 1위, 그리고 2위를 차지했다. 이번 주 여기에서 그녀는 최초로 여자 싱글 부문 세계선수권 타이틀을 획득할 수 있을지도 모른다. 2010년 올림픽을 11개월 앞두고, 물론 오서를 곁에 둔 채 말이다.

They are working toward an Olympics that will be held in Canada for the first time since 1988, this time in Vancouver. So, 420 miles and 22 years from Calgary, Orser will get another chance, this time through his student, to win an Olympic gold medal on Canadian ice.

그들은 1988년 이후 처음으로 캐나다, 이번에는 밴쿠버에서 열리게 될 올림픽을 향해 함께 일하고 있다. 이제, 캘거리로부터 420마일의 거리와 22년의 시간을 두고, 오서는 이번에는 그의 제자를 통해, 캐나다 은반에서 올림픽 금메달을 따낼 또 한 번의 기회를 갖게 될 것이다.

"Poetic justice, eh?" Orser said Tuesday with a smile. "It's true. I have thought about it, and it's a perfect platform for her, having the Olympics in Canada, her second home."

"인과응보같지요?" 화요일에 오서는 웃으며 말했다. "사실이예요. 나도 거기에 대해 생각해 보았지요. 그리고 그녀가 제2의 고향처럼 여기는 캐나다에서의 올림픽은, 그녀에게 완벽한 무대가 되겠죠."

And for him? "I've had a lot of time to reflect back on that night," he said, "and it was a great night of skating. Brian and I delivered, and I hope that these skaters do the same thing next year. It was as if there was a  written for the week for Brian and me, and we really followed the . It could have gone either way. It doesn't get much better than that."

그렇다면, 그에게는 어떨까? "그 날 밤을 여러 번 되돌아 보았어요." 그가 말했다. "그리고 그건 스케이팅에 있어 대단한 밤이었지요. 브라이언과 나는 기대에 보답했고, 이 스케이터들도 내년에 그렇게 해 주기를 바랍니다. 만약 그 주에 브라이언과 나를 위해 쓰여진 대본이 있었다면, 우리는 그 대본을 제대로 수행해 낸 셈이예요. 어떤 식으로든 될 수 있었을 거예요. 그리고 그것보다 별로 많이 나아질 것이 없어요."

For 18-year-old Kim — her country's first top female skater and a "mega-superstar" back home, Orser said — the next 11 months won't be easy. Even last autumn, in the weeks before the 2008-09 season, Orser could tell Kim was close to a meltdown. "There's nobody else in this rink who knows what you're feeling other than me," he told her. "The last thing you want to hear from anybody is that everything is going to be OK. You don't want to hear that. We don't know if everything's going to be OK. But what we do know is that we have control of the situation, so let's just take it one step at a time."

18세의 김(연아)에게 - 한국의 첫번째 탑 레벨 여성 스케이터이고 고국에서는 "메가-슈퍼스타"라고 오서는 말했다 - 앞으로 다가올 11개월은 쉽지 않을 것이다. 지난 가을, 2008-09 시즌을 몇 주 앞둔 시점에도, 오서는 김(연아)가 심리적으로 무너지기 직전이라는 것을 눈치챘다. "이 링크에 지금 네가 느끼는 것을 알고 있는 사람은 나 말고는 없어." 그는 그녀에게 말했다. '네가 누구로부터든 지금 가장 듣고 싶지 않은 말이 '다 잘 될거야'라는 말이지. 넌 그 말을 듣고 싶지 않아. 우리는 모든 일이 다 잘 될지 어떨지 알 수 없어. 하지만 우리가 지금 알고 있는 건, 우리가 이 상황을 조절해 나갈 수 있다는 거야. 그러니 그저 한 번에 한 걸음씩 내딛도록 하자."

Orser said Kim heaved a huge sigh of relief. "We have our little chitchats," he says. "All of this is geared towards the Olympics."

오서는 김(연아)가 안도의 한숨을 몰아쉬었다고 이야기했다. "우리는 대화를 많이 해요." 그는 말했다. "이런 대화는 올림픽을 위한 거예요."

One might think Orser would not dare to dream about winning the gold medal with Kim, but that's not the case. "It would be incredible," he says. "I feel very confident I can actually produce an Olympic champion. I can go into the season with confidence to follow the steps that I believe will make her Olympic champion. But that will be her moment."

오서가 김(연아)와 함께 금메달을 따내리라고는 감히 기대하지 못할 것이라 생각하는 사람들이 있을지도 모른다. 그러나 그렇지 않다. "굉장할 거예요." 그는 말한다. "나는 내가 실제로 올림픽 챔피언을 길러낼 수 있을 거라고 굉장히 자신하고 있어요. 나는 그녀를 올림픽 챔피언으로 만들어 줄 단계를 밟아나갈 수 있을 것이라 믿고 이번 시즌을 자신있게 시작할 수 있어요. 하지만 그것은 그녀의 순간이 되겠죠."

Hers, yes, but also his? "Trust me, backstage, there will be a huge tear."

그녀의 순간, 그렇다, 하지만 동시에 그의 순간이기도 하지 않을까? "무대 뒤에서 눈물을 쏟겠지요. 날 믿어봐요."

And would it make up at all for …

그렇다면 그것이 보상이 될 수 있을까...

"Yes, it would," he interrupts. "Make up for Calgary? Yes, it would. Sure. I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't."

"그럴 거예요." 그는 말을 잘랐다. "캘거리에 대한 보상 말인가요? 네, 그럴거예요. 그럼요. 그렇지 않을 거라 말한다면 거짓말이죠."

Hers. And his.

그녀의, 그리고 그의 순간이다.

Facebook Twitter GooglePlus KakaoStory NaverBand 신고

Author

2 Comments
M 再會  
디시 연아겔 artemis 님의 번역
1 고운모래  
헉, 미드겔 그런 게 아니고 "연아겔" 그런 것도 있어요?
연아의 인기는 정말 대단하군요.^^

연아하면 성실성, 집중력... 장점이 너무 많지만,