Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Story of a New Name – My Brilliant Friend

2020 Drama TRAILER for My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name: Season 2 Trailer - In The Weeks Ahead List
      100% 15 Reviews Tomatometer 95% 100+ Ratings Audience Score Pseudonymous author Elena Ferrante has written four mega-popular Neapolitan novels that explore the complicated intensity of female friendship. "My Brilliant Friend" is the first in the series, and also the first to be adapted for television. Filmed in Italian, the eight-episode drama centers on elderly author Elena Greco, who learns that the most important friend in her life, Lila Cerullo, has disappeared without a trace. It causes Elena to reflect on the early days of their friendship in dangerous but fascinating Naples, Italy, in the 1950s, when Elena and Lila are two very different girls at the top of their class. The story goes on to cover more than 60 years of their lives as Elena tries to describe the mystery of Lila. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

My Brilliant Friend — The Story of a New Name

Prime Video Max

Watch My Brilliant Friend — The Story of a New Name with a subscription on Max, or buy it on Prime Video.

My Brilliant Friend — The Story of a New Name

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Gorgeously shot and full of incredible performances, My Brilliant Friend's second season expands its small world with rich results.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (15) Critics Reviews
      Deborah Ross The Mail on Sunday (UK) Even if there was no narrative whatsoever, I'd go away happy, as I am always stunned just by the look of it. Each scene is like a ravishing painting with every inch of canvas used, right up to the corners. Rated: 5/5 Jun 22, 2020 Full Review Matthew Gilbert Boston Globe The dramas that play out range from the brutal to the more purely psychological, and all of them are compelling, not least of all thanks to the lead actresses' stunning performances. Mar 27, 2020 Full Review Dorothy Rabinowitz Wall Street Journal My Brilliant Friend has returned for a second season more affecting, in an alarming way, than the first, though in every way just as impressive in its penetrating portraiture of Elena and Lila. Mar 20, 2020 Full Review Akhil Arora Gadgets360 [What] makes My Brilliant Friend a great show is its deeply-felt exploration of female friendship. ... Their fierce bond, at times, feels like it's fuelled by a rivalry too, with both defying what society has in store for them. Dec 16, 2020 Full Review David Nice The Arts Desk All the characters are perfectly cast, faces striking, especially those of the loan-shark, camorra-ist Solara family whose actions determine most of the disasters or plot twists. Rated: 5/5 Jun 30, 2020 Full Review Euan Ferguson Observer (UK) My Brilliant Friend has returned after a frankly actionable two-year wait and it is better than ever. Jun 29, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (19) audience reviews
      Audience Member Better than season 1. Very worth a watch. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review PAT A Brilliant! So moving. As an Italian American I learned a lot about the the social and political differences between the different regions, dialects and attitudes. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/20/22 Full Review Audience Member I've often wondered when watching subtitled television and movies whether I'm enjoying it more because it is subtitled. I've always thought that perhaps I enjoyed Spiral more than, say Line of Duty, out of pure snobbery; how was I to know how nuanced the delivery of lines were when I don't understand the language? So thanks to my Brilliant Friend for confirming that I can actually see through wooden acting and melodramatic screenwriting, I'm just surprised at how on my own I stand here. I enjoyed series one, enough to be excited for two, but I find the acting so intensely dreadful, particularly from Lenu that I can't bear it. The way she opens those hefty doors in her families apartment even drives me mad. Lila stands slightly apart from the rest, whenever she's on screen it feels like a better show than it is, the cinematography and score also play into this premium feel. However, whenever the drama ratchets up a notch (particularly thinking about an argument between the rest of cast in the shoe shop) it feels like an episode of EastEnders as opposed to Parasite. The show looks beautiful, it's themes are appealing but ultimately, for me, it's the very definition of style over substance. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Audience Member Can't wait for season 3. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Audience Member Okay, Season 2 is so much better than the 1st one. I can't wait until the third season comes out. I highly recommend the series. 😉 Amazing. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Audience Member Just like one of those rare few out there that you admit defeat to and give it a priority because it did that to me, and I am grateful. Wonderful cast with incredible storytelling all wrapped in just 16 episodes (including the 1st season), and all I have to say is, please let there be a 3rd season. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Feb 10, 2020 The New Name Newly-married Lila grows profoundly resentful of her husband and finds new ways to carry on seeing Elena. Details Episode 2 Aired Feb 10, 2020 The Body A photograph of Lila on her wedding day is exhibited at a shop in the center of town, triggering admiration and gossip throughout the neighborhood. Details Episode 3 Aired Feb 17, 2020 Erasure Lila continues to hold a grudge against Stefano as the shoe shop opens and she goes to work at his new grocery store; Elena brings Lila to a party at her teacher's home. Details Episode 4 Aired Feb 17, 2020 The Kiss Elena agrees to a holiday in Ischia with Lila, knowing that Nino Sarratore will also be on the island. Details Episode 5 Aired Feb 24, 2020 The Betrayal On Ischia, an agonizing rift begins to form between Elena and Lila, as they adopt to their new roles in a new city. Details Episode 6 Aired Feb 24, 2020 Rage Elena plunges headfirst into her academic future, while Lila tackles problems of an entirely different nature. Details Episode 7 Aired Mar 2, 2020 The Secret Notebook In reading Lila's private diaries, Elena, now an accomplished college student, realizes how much her friend's new role has changed her. Details Episode 8 Aired Mar 2, 2020 The Blue Fairy Elena is struck with inspiration and begins to write her first novel; she gives the manuscript to Pietro Airota before returning to Naples. Details
      38% 84% The Time Traveler's Wife TRAILER for The Time Traveler's Wife 82% 59% Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City TRAILER for Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City 97% 68% Sally4Ever 42% 94% The Collection 44% 90% Soundtrack TRAILER for Soundtrack Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (15) Critics Reviews
      Deborah Ross The Mail on Sunday (UK) Even if there was no narrative whatsoever, I'd go away happy, as I am always stunned just by the look of it. Each scene is like a ravishing painting with every inch of canvas used, right up to the corners. Rated: 5/5 Jun 22, 2020 Full Review Matthew Gilbert Boston Globe The dramas that play out range from the brutal to the more purely psychological, and all of them are compelling, not least of all thanks to the lead actresses' stunning performances. Mar 27, 2020 Full Review Dorothy Rabinowitz Wall Street Journal My Brilliant Friend has returned for a second season more affecting, in an alarming way, than the first, though in every way just as impressive in its penetrating portraiture of Elena and Lila. Mar 20, 2020 Full Review Akhil Arora Gadgets360 [What] makes My Brilliant Friend a great show is its deeply-felt exploration of female friendship. ... Their fierce bond, at times, feels like it's fuelled by a rivalry too, with both defying what society has in store for them. Dec 16, 2020 Full Review David Nice The Arts Desk All the characters are perfectly cast, faces striking, especially those of the loan-shark, camorra-ist Solara family whose actions determine most of the disasters or plot twists. Rated: 5/5 Jun 30, 2020 Full Review Euan Ferguson Observer (UK) My Brilliant Friend has returned after a frankly actionable two-year wait and it is better than ever. Jun 29, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Director
      Saverio Costanzo, Alice Rohrwacher
      Executive Producer
      Lorenzo Mieli, Mario Gianani, Domenico Procacci, Paolo Sorrentino, Jennifer Schuur, Elena Recchia, Guido De Laurentiis
      Screenwriter
      Elena Ferrante, Francesco Piccolo, Laura Paolucci, Saverio Costanzo
      Network
      HBO
      Rating
      TV-MA
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language
      Italian
      Release Date
      Feb 10, 2020