Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – Hollywood

2020 Drama TRAILER for Hollywood: Season 1 Trailer List
      59% 135 Reviews Tomatometer 75% 500+ Ratings Audience Score In post-World War II Hollywood, aspiring actors and filmmakers will do almost anything to make their showbiz dreams come true. Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

Hollywood — Season 1

Netflix

Watch Hollywood — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix.

Hollywood — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

With its heart on its sleeve and style to spare, Hollywood is anything but subtle -- if only its good intentions were paired with a less convoluted story.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (283) audience reviews
      Edwin G Tiene una energía muy interesante, tenía mucho tiempo sin ver una serie con vibras hollywoodenses y estó me encantó, es lo máximo, las actuaciones son impecables, y el final es asombroso, gracias a ryan murphy por estó. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 10/13/23 Full Review Nathaniel D The hayes code devastated cinema and ensured that marginalized people would only see themselves in film as the butt end of cruel jokes, the villain, the embarrassment. Hollywood somehow manages to balance wish fulfillment and social awareness-motivated audiences without diminishing the realities of racism and homophobia and their impact on actors and viewers alike. It's the story of how we could, and still can, do so much better, delivered with an energizing score, fantastic set design, and an amalgam of unwritten and rewritten show biz history. It's a both a heartwarming and playful romp and a much needed exploration of what the industry, political forces, and broader culture took from generations of performers and viewers alike. The show delivers the happy endings that so many deserved and never received, and it does it without brushing anything into the closet. A clever and challenging balancing act for this type of content. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 05/29/23 Full Review Jim&Carol B It really was AWESOME!!! We both were born in the era when "movies were movies & women were women"...as my Irish Dad would say..LOL!!! So for me, this Neflix series was VERY cool, sad, & Hollywoody...with all the glitz & glamour of that era...we use to LOVE to go to the movies when we were kids...& to this day we still have our favs... GREAT escape & thought provoking for those of us who really DO care about others...& in hindsight watching this series..I kept going back to thinking.. wouldn't it have been WONDERFUL for everyone to be themselves..no matter their race, creed, color or sexual preferences?? Without all the lives that were ruined..tossed away like garbage..& expelled because??? Such a waste!! And that's putting it mildly....!!! And here we are..all these decades later...STILL trying to fit everyone into the "perfect" mold..of what we think..everyone should be..both off & on the silver screen... Sure DO hope their will be a season 2 & more...cuz I for one can haedly wait.. So, don't keep the fans of this series hangin' Ya all!!!! KUDOS to ALL who put this whole series together... TRULY WELL DONE!!! ALL THE BEST!!! C&J In the end..who really cares?!!! It IS THEIR lives...NOT ours to Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/30/23 Full Review PS. Fernando R Old Hollywood glamor in its purest essence. A satire where the legends of cinema appear in their most naked form, analogically and literally. The staging is impeccable, flawlessly curated. Entertaining, romantic and many laughs and a little tears. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 10/02/22 Full Review terence t Show is very fake and very woke. Nothing remotely like this would of happened in America in this time period. The actor who played Rock Hudson was annoying and can't act and they made his character a passive dummy. Most everything from Netflix is woke and all about "diversity and inclusion". Good storytelling and accuracy doesn't matter. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Audience Member I thought Hollywood was okay. The main problem with the show is that it comes off a bit preachy at times, and this could be fixed if the dialogue were a bit more subtle and less upfront. However I thought that the prostitution storyline was most entertaining. It seems like the people who worked on the show had had worked on storylines that include prostitution, and it shows because it's fun the way it is written. My favorite part of the acting was Laura Harrier's performance of Camille. She was cute and badass, and almost makes the show worth watching, because I kept rooting for her the whole time. 3 stars is my score. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired May 1, 2020 Hooray for Hollywood Aspiring actor Jack Castello accepts a job at a service station that pumps more than just gas. Details Episode 2 Aired May 1, 2020 Hooray for Hollywood Jack gets a leg up on a screen test; Camille experiences typecasting; Raymond pursues his directorial debut; Archi bonds with a smitten Roy. Details Episode 3 Aired May 1, 2020 Outlaws Henry schemes at director George Cukor's star-studded party, leading Jack to a revelation about his wife, while Roy gets a private meeting with Dick. Details Episode 4 Aired May 1, 2020 (Screen) Tests Avis receives bombshell news about the studio; the actors prepare to audition for "Peg;" Archie faces a calamitous change to his screenplay. Details Episode 5 Aired May 1, 2020 Jump Problems arise as "Meg" begins production; Ellen takes a chance with Dick; Henry offers to make a simmering scandal over Jack's past go away -- for a price. Details Episode 6 Aired May 1, 2020 Meg Ernie lends a hand when "Meg" hits a budget snag; Henry interferes with the movie's final cut; Avis feels her control slipping. Details Episode 7 Aired May 1, 2020 A Hollywood Ending As the Oscars approach, Ernie shares devastating news; Camille listens to wise advice from Hattie McDaniel; Archie takes a stand on the red carpet. Details
      69% 79% Grand Army TRAILER for Grand Army 93% 91% The Haunting of Hill House TRAILER for The Haunting of Hill House 6% 69% Another Life TRAILER for Another Life 100% 86% Marianne 86% 81% The Society TRAILER for The Society Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (135) Critics Reviews
      Michael Blackmon BuzzFeed News The new Netflix drama is supposed to be a progressive reenvisioning of classic 1940s Hollywood. But the fantasy feels superficial. Apr 5, 2022 Full Review Melinda Houston Sydney Morning Herald Like pretty much all Murphy's work, Hollywood isn't simply eye candy. He always has something to say, and if this satire of the movie business sometimes gets a bit muddled or speechy, it's a thoroughly entertaining ride all the same. Rated: 3.5/5 May 18, 2020 Full Review Wenlei Ma News.com.au For all of its impressive parts, it doesn't gel all that well, which leaves Hollywood feeling a bit soulless. May 18, 2020 Full Review Carmen Paddock Screen Queens the clunky script, missed character beats, and emphasis on spectacle — be that triumph or trauma — hamper Hollywood’s potential Apr 23, 2024 Full Review Pradeep Menon Firstpost Hollywood often favours feel-good moments celebrating diversity, foregoing nuance in favour of the spectacle. Oct 16, 2023 Full Review Bill Brioux Brioux.tv This is the dark side of A Star is Born. Oct 13, 2022 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Creator
      Ian Brennan, Ryan Murphy
      Executive Producer
      Ian Brennan, Ryan Murphy, Janet Mock
      Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-MA
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language