Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – AJ and the Queen

2020 Comedy TRAILER for AJ and the Queen: Season 1 Trailer List
      52% 21 Reviews Tomatometer 89% 250+ Ratings Audience Score Robert, a down-on-his-luck drag queen who performs as Ruby Red, prepares for a new adventure, heading out on a journey in a van across America. Joining Robert on the trip is tough-talking 10-year-old stowaway AJ. Ruby gets a chance to step back into the spotlight along the way, and AJ comes up with a crafty plan to earn some extra cash. The tour hits a snag as the vehicle rolls into Texas, and it comes to an end when Ruby competes in the Miss Drag USA pageant. Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

AJ and the Queen — Season 1

Netflix

Watch AJ and the Queen — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix.

AJ and the Queen — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Though it doesn't always come together, AJ and the Queen is a sweet, sometimes off-the wall adventure that's fun to watch even when it's fumbling.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (197) audience reviews
      Allyssa H I think the show was incredibly moving, hilarious, beautiful ❤️ I want more episodes y'all are haters fr!! 💔 Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/08/24 Full Review Kathy H Interesting show, this. It seems to think it's a positive expression of inclusivity and smashing stereotypes while leaning heavier on the unfit mother junkie prostitute trope than any other show I've seen in decades. Hell, that trope holds the whole show up. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 12/21/23 Full Review Agnieszka W Świetny film, pokazujący jak wyglada życie, nie przekoloryzowany, bardzo uczuciowy, aktorzy fenomenalnie odegrali swoje rolę, wg mnie film fabuła i cała reszta idealna 100% na 100% mam szczera nadzieję, że wyjdzie 1m2gi sezon . Trzymam kciuki choć mam obawy czy się uda zważywszy na dyza niewiedzę ludzi rasizm , homofobię i znieczulice ludzi na innych Normalnych ludzi od których hetero i powinni się uczyć i nie szufladkować ludzi , bo są o wiele wiele bardziej czuli i wyrozumiali dla innych . Przykro mi jak wiele ludzi jeszcze tego nie rozumie. Całym sercem popieram nakręcenie 2giego sezonu i więcej filmów w w ka5egorii filmowej i całym sercem jestem z tymi wszystkimi wspaniałymi ludźmi. I jestem 1000% heteroseksualna a k9cham tych cudownych ciepłych i wrażliwych ludzi o podziwiam za odwagę bo tak muszą mieć piekielna odwagę by zmierzyć się ze znieczulica tak wielu zaciemnionych ludzi którzy sami żyją w maskach i klonami którzy nie mają własnego ja bo nie mają wystarczającej odwagi by być prawdziwi i sobą.. dla czego ? Bo boją się oceny innych ludzi . Więc zamiast krytykować inne rasy poglądy czy seksualizm zastanówcie się ile muszą mieć ci ludzie odwagi i z czym a raczej kim muszą się mierzyć każdego dnia by walczyć o siebie swoją godność i swoje prawdziwe ja . Pozdrawiam i trzymam mocno kciuki za Was ❤️❤️❤️❤️🥰🥰🥰🥰😘😘😘😘😘 Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/24/23 Full Review Connie It was hard watching Robert go through everything in the first couple of episodes without wanting to reach through the screen and help him. And AJ was an annoying, obnoxious brat too. But then something happens and you binge the whole season and won't why the hell they didn't make a second season. Ruby Red is everything. Watch it. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 06/11/23 Full Review Ruby J it's hard to make a street kid with a drug addicted mother funny, it felt like the show had bad aim and it never hit. Some scenes were just dumb, the RV falling over and being placed upright and driven away was ridiculous. As always, Ru was fab but the kid got annoying real fast. The blind guy remembering the prostitute/drug addicts sequin butterfly shirt was my favourite part. If he's blind how could he have seen it? Bad writing, decent acting, mildly entertaining. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 05/25/23 Full Review Audience Member AJ and the queen is a fantastic series I was sad to hear Netflix has failed fans by cancelling the second season if you love drag race you will love this fun loving story of a drag queen who had been scammed out of every penny and a kid whose lost and looking for family Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Jan 10, 2020 New York City The story starts at the end of an era as Robert, aka Ruby Red, prepares for a new adventure; young AJ endures the mean streets of Manhattan. Details Episode 2 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Pittsburgh Robert treats AJ to breakfast -- and a long list of questions; Ruby steps back into the spotlight and encounters bad blood, onstage and off. Details Episode 3 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Columbus A fender bender leads to a frantic game of cat and mouse; AJ gets a message from back home, and Ruby prepares for an impromptu competition. Details Episode 4 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Louisville AJ and Robert encounter a new cast of queens as Ruby gets ready for a daring performance; Damien's cruel game claims another victim. Details Episode 5 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Mt. Juliet As the tour heads to Nashville, a peculiar pit stop catches Robert's eye; AJ makes a crafty plan for extra cash. Details Episode 6 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Little Rock A late-night rest stop leads to a last-minute musical as Robert makes friends in a rural RV park; his history with "Hector" comes to light. Details Episode 7 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Jackson AJ and Robert make their way to Mississippi for an action-packed reunion; back in New York, Louis opens the door to an unexpected visitor. Details Episode 8 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Baton Rouge A medical emergency triggers a string of painful memories for Robert and AJ; Lady Danger and Damien cross paths with a fellow traveler. Details Episode 9 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Fort Worth As the RV rolls into Texas, the tour hits an unforeseen snag; Robert reconnects with an old friend; AJ eagerly awaits life with Pop Pop. Details Episode 10 Aired Jan 10, 2020 Dallas The end of tour arrives as Ruby competes in Miss Drag USA; AJ prepares for Pop Pop's farm; Brianna tries one last, desperate leap of faith. Details
      51% 80% The Politician TRAILER for The Politician 90% 92% Atypical TRAILER for Atypical 50% 70% Haters Back Off 100% 90% Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return 50% 57% Boo, Bitch TRAILER for Boo, Bitch Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This show is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (21) Critics Reviews
      Ashlie D. Stevens Salon.com AJ and the Queen can be a lot of fun... But the series is riddled with scripting snags, potentially by virtue of trying to balance camp and commentary in hour-long episodes. Jan 16, 2020 Full Review Spencer Kornhaber The Atlantic The gospel Ruby-slash-RuPaul preaches is not one of great transformation but rather one of great transcendence, and the vision of queens as mini-Oprahs, capable of therapizing away America's wounds, is seductively comforting. Jan 15, 2020 Full Review Liz Shannon Miller AV Club There are moments that feel a little jarring... Beyond those moments, there are so many freewheeling touches over the course of the season that keep the fun alive. Rated: B+ Jan 11, 2020 Full Review Bailey Jo Josie Film Inquiry Despite some stumbles and clumsy writing, the first season of AJ and the Queen is a heartwarming, heartbreaking delight that lets you ride out every emotion while giving you a few laughs and some amazing drag, too. Apr 24, 2020 Full Review Monique Jones Just Add Color Unfortunately, RuPaul continues to get in her own way in this series. Pretty annoying, since I wanted to love this series as a longtime RuPaul and Drag Race fan, a fan who sees the good and the bad of RuPaul's reign. Apr 3, 2020 Full Review André Hereford Metro Weekly (Washington, DC) Fasten your seatbelts, as Netflix's AJ and the Queen is a rambling, overlong road odyssey. Rated: 2/5 Mar 20, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Executive Producer
      Michael Patrick King, RuPaul
      Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-14
      Genre
      Comedy
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date