Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – The Movies That Made Us

2019 Documentary Entertainment List
      100% 6 Reviews Tomatometer 83% 50+ Ratings Audience Score From the producers of "The Toys That Made Us" comes this docuseries that takes you behind the scenes to show you how some classic films were made. Each episode focuses on a specific movie, telling the tale of how it was made from beginning to end. Each episode starts out discussing the origins of the featured film, moving on to talk about the actual production of the flick -- including obstacles and detours along the way -- before finishing with a discussion of the impact the movie had upon its eventual release. The movies discussed include such blockbusters as "Die Hard" and "Ghostbusters." Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

The Movies That Made Us — Season 1

Netflix

Watch The Movies That Made Us — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix.

Audience Reviews

View All (15) audience reviews
      Ivan V Bien contadas cada una, te atrae mucho como se lograron hacer los mayores éxitos con los que uno creció y además de eso es bastante inspiradora. Logra muy bien su objetivo de hacer un documental que demuestre lo difícil y estresante que llegaron a hacer las películas en esos tiempos. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/13/24 Full Review johnathon w Fun series featuring some classic films of the 1980's, along with some great tidbits on such films like "Dirty Dancing" and "Die Hard". While not a complete deep dive, a fun watch for movie fans. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review j j Most pop culture docs suck and feel like rushed cash grabs, BUT, for a documentary about pop culture this one is actually really good. The only big downside is the narration style which tries way too hard to be clever and funny (think: a dad joke became incarnated and decides to narrate like a '90s MTV narrator), but it is usually not too hard to ignore that one quirk. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Audience Member This is a great series about how some all time classic films were made. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Audience Member An excellent documentary series. The editing is fun to follow and the content cuts to the chase. Every episode left me wanting for more, no matter if I knew the movie or not. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Audience Member As a big fan of Dirty Dancing, I loved loved loved this behind the scenes documentary... I had no idea the story behind the movie was more interesting than the movie itself. Everything about it is interesting -- from the origin of the story and its writer Eleonor, then the Vestron part - hilarious - and Linda, the producer, then Jennifer and Patrick audition tapes, interviews with the cast and crew - also hilarious!!! and so on and so forth. Everything for me was new - the locations, how the script got approved - I mean, the twists and turns... As I saw the movie many times, I already saw this documentary about 4 times, can´t get enough of it - every time I watch it, I see some details I never saw in the movie before - like a scene in which Eleonor - the writer - was dancing with Patrick in the gazebo -- like, hello, a must see for baby-boomers who had a blast in the 80s and was a fan of this movie... Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/09/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Show Less Cast & Crew Show More Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Nov 29, 2019 Dirty Dancing Stepping on toes and tangling with rejection, the women behind the "girl's movie" touched millions despite co-star tension and a meager budget. Details Episode 2 Aired Nov 29, 2019 Home Alone Mixing a "comedy machine" with a novice director, and adding a shutdown threat, rotating robbers and terrifying stunts creates a ho-ho-ho holiday megahit. Details Episode 3 Aired Nov 29, 2019 Ghostbusters A rickety script, tight timeline and effects issues almost bust this comedy, but the slimy shenanigans take off thanks to Dan Aykroyd and company. Details Episode 4 Aired Nov 29, 2019 Die Hard The box office titan took action movies to the next level, decked out with a relatable hero, humorous rewrite and well-played "yippee-ki-yay." Details
      83% 80% Rapture TRAILER for Rapture 100% 71% Untold 100% 81% Bad Sport % 57% Formula 1: Drive to Survive TRAILER for Formula 1: Drive to Survive % 44% Drug Lords Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (6) Critics Reviews
      Brad Newsome Sydney Morning Herald Adopting the good-natured humor, the rich nostalgia, and the incredibly informative format of the The Toys That Made Us, this new series is an absolute hoot. Dec 11, 2019 Full Review Hannah Brown Jerusalem Post Perhaps the most noteworthy part of the entire series is the section in the Jurassic Park episode that details how some fairly low-level technicians devised the computer animation that worked better than the bulkier models... Jul 30, 2021 Full Review Graeme Tuckett Stuff.co.nz Covers the troubled beginnings of Home Alone, Ghostbusters and - most involvingly - Dirty Dancing, all in the same chatty, irreverent style that made Toys a surprise hit. If you're interested in the process of making movies, it's a fun watch. Dec 1, 2020 Full Review Melissa Camacho Common Sense Media Fun film backstory docu has some mature themes, cursing. Rated: 4/5 Jan 10, 2020 Full Review Laura Griffiths Starburst The Movies That Made Us is the perfect group viewing to give you that warm and fuzzy jolt of nostalgia with a sprinkling of festive cheer. Rated: 8/10 Dec 11, 2019 Full Review Joel Keller Decider You may know everything about the movies profiled in The Movies That Made Us. But we bet you'll come away from each episode with a few more tidbits you didn't know before. Dec 3, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-MA
      Genre
      Documentary, Entertainment
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date
      Nov 29, 2019
      More Top TV Picks Netflix