Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 3 – Sherlock

2014 Adventure Crime Drama List
      91% 126 Reviews Tomatometer 95% 2,500+ Ratings Audience Score In this contemporary version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective stories, Dr. John Watson is a war vet just home from Afghanistan. He meets the brilliant but eccentric Holmes when the latter, who serves as a consultant to Scotland Yard, advertises for a flatmate. Almost as soon as Watson moves into the Baker Street flat, they are embroiled in mysteries, and Sherlock's nemesis, Moriarty, appears to have a hand in the crimes. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Jan 20 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Sherlock — Season 3

Fandango at Home Prime Video Hulu

Watch Sherlock — Season 3 with a subscription on Hulu, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Sherlock — Season 3

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Honoring the Holmes brand, Sherlock is splendidly acted and still pleases fans who are thirsty for stimulating, intelligently written story arcs.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (206) audience reviews
      Ryoga M EN:surprise and happiness. Season 3 is amazing!! I was fooled by a wonderful trick.I was surprised but also touched. Sherlock Homes giving the speech moved me. JP:シーズン3でまさか泣かされるとは!!今まで推理のことしかなかったシャーロックがジョンとメアリーの結婚式で、素晴らしいスピーチを。友達とは縁がなかったシャーロックが親友と何度も口にしていて、今までにない一面を見せてくれた。素晴らしい。しかし次のエピソードではまさかの事態に。やっぱやってくれるよな。😅妙に良いシーンを持ってきたのは次のエピソードでとんでもない仕掛けをぶち込んでくるからか。見事に騙されました。伏線回収ねー。 Rated 4 out of 5 stars 11/01/23 Full Review Ben W Hello. Rotten tomatoes machine does not allow me to delete reviews... but consider this a deleted review. I opted for three stars , as a compromise- it's again not my review. Farewell. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 11/23/23 Full Review Matt D The beginning of the end for Sherlock, this is the series in which the writers start to go a bit to doctor who/Marvel. Promising bigger and badder threats with higher and higher stakes. The first two series felt grounded and latched to a small bit of realism whilst this really is the series where things start to go off the rails. We find the stories now focus more on jokes, the characters and script almost starting to mock the things that made the first two series so good and expecting us to all laugh along with them. The problem is, nobody is laughing along. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/07/23 Full Review Bella S I literally died and like cried when Moriarty died because damn what a plot twist but like the fact that Sherlock died and didn't tell John for two years was just a little unbelievable. And the fact that hes supposed to just push it off only one episode into the season is super unrealistic. Sherlock separates himself from others by outwitting them with his mind so the fact that he realized he couldnt beat Magnussen so he just killed him kind of tainted his character for me and by tainted I mean ruined. Seriously. Now Moriarty's back and I love him as a villain but we literally saw him put a gun in his mouth and kill himself so idk how thats gonna work out. Anyways I freaking hate Mary she literally sucks as a character and I miss Irene. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 12/29/22 Full Review Sloane S For me, Sherlock begins to lose itself a bit in this season. I found the episodes to lose a little bit of their weight and dynamism despite my willingness to buy into some strange plot decisions. There are some fantastic moments, including a majority of the third episode, but I'm afraid that yellow flags are raised in this season. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 11/09/22 Full Review Annabell M This is my definitely my favorite show! Rated 4 out of 5 stars 07/13/22 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Jan 1, 2014 The Empty Hearse Two years after his apparent death, Sherlock returns to solve a terrorist threat; John, having moved on with his life and angry that he wasn't told of Sherlock's plan to fake his own death, refuses to help. Details Episode 2 Aired Jan 5, 2014 The Sign of Three Sherlock struggles to deliver the best man's speech at John and Mary's wedding reception; Sherlock tells the guests about past unsolved cases and inadvertently stumbles upon the identity of the murderer and his next intended victim. Details Episode 3 Aired Jan 12, 2014 His Last Vow Sherlock investigates Charles Augustus Magnussen, a master blackmailer who knows the weaknesses of every prominent figure in the Western world; in his pursuit of clues, Sherlock makes a discovery about Mary that threatens her future with John. Details
      17% 40% The Prisoner 90% 83% Rick and Morty TRAILER for Rick and Morty 59% 53% Crossbones 75% 64% Hooten and the Lady 74% 74% Sleepy Hollow Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (126) Critics Reviews
      Esther Zuckerman The Atlantic The Empty Hearse, which witnessed the return of Sherlock Holmes to the world of the living, was an exercise in fan service, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Apr 10, 2019 Full Review Verne Gay Newsday Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss have created something of unusual brilliance ... The best hour and a half of television so far this year. Apr 10, 2019 Full Review Jace Lacob BuzzFeed News The Empty Hearse, with its heady revelations and the promise of future mayhem via a new nemesis for Sherlock and John, manages to create an aura of mystery and potential that is quite intoxicating. Apr 10, 2019 Full Review Bonnie Burton CNET While it may seem like he's in control of every situation and everyone in it, Sherlock Holmes still manages to learn a few valuable life lessons. May 30, 2019 Full Review Tom Sykes The Daily Beast The beating heart of this series is still the fantastic chemistry between Holmes and Watson, and the scene where Holmes reveals himself to Watson, disguised as a waiter in a French restaurant, expecting a hug and getting a headbutt, is pure genius. Apr 10, 2019 Full Review Kat Rosenfield MTV Big reveals, heartbreaking reunions and the kiss that launched a thousand fanfics: the BBC's "Sherlock made its return, and everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. Apr 10, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Director
      Nick Hurran, Jeremy Lovering, Colm McCarthy
      Executive Producer
      Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat, Beryl Vertue
      Screenwriter
      Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, Steve Thompson
      Network
      BBC
      Rating
      TV-14
      Genre