Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – Breaking Bad

2008 Crime Drama List
      86% 43 Reviews Tomatometer 95% 5,000+ Ratings Audience Score Mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher Walter White thinks his life can't get much worse. His salary barely makes ends meet, a situation not likely to improve once his pregnant wife gives birth, and their teenage son is battling cerebral palsy. But Walter is dumbstruck when he learns he has terminal cancer. Realizing that his illness probably will ruin his family financially, Walter makes a desperate bid to earn as much money as he can in the time he has left by turning an old RV into a meth lab on wheels. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Jul 12 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Breaking Bad — Season 1

Fandango at Home Prime Video Netflix

Watch Breaking Bad — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Breaking Bad — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Though at times it feels forced and its imagery can be gruesome, Breaking Bad is darkly gripping and features a strong sympathetic lead in Bryan Cranston.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (510) audience reviews
      Five Word R Skinny Pete is the goat. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/30/24 Full Review Saba c This is exactly how you start a pilot. Perfect tv show Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/19/24 Full Review Aender S Many say this show needed a while to get really started. I think it launched with a bang right from the first episode and has become my all-time favourite drama series. The story, the setting, the acting and the special effects, all combined make one of the finest entertainment pieces ever made. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/14/24 Full Review Audience Member the show started fantastic and it's just getting better Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/09/24 Full Review Markus S The first season is watched and I'm 100% willing to see more. It begins being excellent already! It starts being with a 9/10, but it is because this, is not enough cooked yet. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/02/24 Full Review Jonathan M After over a decade of people telling me I have to watch it (I'm a chemist), I finally did. I was not disappointed. The show mixes a perfect amount of dark humor and seriousness. The characters are interesting and developed well so far. There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that you have to have in order to forgive some of the silliness (mostly in regards to being caught or taken out), but a good story can be worth that if done well. It was a good start, I'm hoping things get a bit more polished as the series continues. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/20/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Jan 20, 2008 Pilot High-school chemistry teacher Walter White learns he is dying of lung cancer and takes steps to ensure his family's financial future. Details Episode 2 Aired Jan 27, 2008 Cat's in the Bag... Following their debacle in the desert, Walter and Jesse are left with a mess to dispose of; Skyler grows suspicious of Walt's recent activity. Details Episode 3 Aired Feb 10, 2008 ...and the Bag's in the River Walter and Jesse clean up after the bathtub incident; Hank warns Walter Jr. about the danger of drugs. Details Episode 4 Aired Feb 16, 2008 Cancer Man The DEA suspects there is a new drug kingpin; Skyler learns about Walter's diagnosis; Walter channels his anger at an explosive target. Details Episode 5 Aired Feb 24, 2008 Gray Matter Walter and Skyler attend a party for a former science colleague; Jesse attempts to go straight; Skyler organizes an intervention. Details Episode 6 Aired Mar 2, 2008 Crazy Handful of Nothin' Walter is plagued by the side effects of chemotherapy; Skinny Pete makes an introduction to Jesse; the DEA is rounding up suspects. Details Episode 7 Aired Mar 9, 2008 A No-Rough-Stuff Type Deal Walter embraces his new identity after a PTA meeting; Jesse decides to sell his aunt's house; Marie throws a baby shower for Skyler. Details
      30% 78% Parish TRAILER for Parish 41% 60% Low Winter Sun 44% % Traveler % 75% Medium 39% % Blind Justice Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This show is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (43) Critics Reviews
      Matt Zoller Seitz New York Magazine/Vulture Every time a new episode ends, you're left with questions, but the most prominent one is "What will happen next?" Oct 18, 2019 Full Review Brian Tallerico HollywoodChicago.com The lead performance by Emmy Award-winner Bryan Cranston is one of the most riveting I've seen in the last few years. He is pitch-perfect and everything that works about this unusual series comes from his great star turn. Rated: 3.5/5 Oct 17, 2019 Full Review Jonathan Storm Philadelphia Inquirer It's unpredictable and stimulating, like the drug that White manufactures, but it produces a much safer high. Oct 17, 2019 Full Review Cody Leach Cody Leach (YouTube) There's some initial growing pains and an awkward ending due to a writer's strike but the beginning to this fantastic show is still top-notch television. Walter White and Jesse Pinkman's early adventures are darkly comedic gold. Rated: 4/5 Aug 19, 2022 Full Review Boston Herald Staff Boston Herald Creator and executive producer Vince Gilligan has crafted a show that veers into black comedy over the course of the first three episodes, one that is bloody, unpleasant and tedious. Oct 18, 2019 Full Review Cindy White IGN Movies Cranston tackles the role with a measured intensity, bravely putting Walt's flaws and human frailties out on display for all to see. He manages to make you root for the guy even when you know his actions are seriously misguided. Rated: 9/10 Oct 18, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Director
      Vince Gilligan, Adam Bernstein, Jim McKay, Tricia Brock, Tim Hunter, Bronwen Hughes
      Screenwriter
      Patty Lin, Peter Gould, George Mastras, Vince Gilligan
      Network
      AMC
      Rating
      TV-14 (L|V)
      Genre
      Crime, Drama
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date
      Jan 20, 2008