Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – Sex Education

2019 Comedy Drama TRAILER for Sex Education: Season 1 Trailer List
      91% 80 Reviews Tomatometer 94% 1,000+ Ratings Audience Score Socially awkward high school student Otis may not have much experience in the lovemaking department, but he gets good guidance on the topic in his personal sex ed course -- living with mom Jean, who is a sex therapist. Being surrounded by manuals, videos and tediously open conversations about sex, Otis has become a reluctant expert on the subject. When his classmates learn about his home life, Otis decides to use his insider knowledge to improve his status at school, so he teams with whip-smart bad girl Maeve to set up an underground sex therapy clinic to deal with their classmates' problems. But through his analysis of teenage sexuality, Otis realizes that he may need some therapy of his own. Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

Sex Education — Season 1

Netflix

Watch Sex Education — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix.

Sex Education — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Bawdy, heartfelt, and surprisingly wise, Sex Education is a raucous romp through a group of teenagers whose sexual misadventures are so thoughtfully rendered, adults could learn a thing or two from them.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (80) Critics Reviews
      Scott Bryan BBC.com The weirdest thing I think is that it's a school which is incredibly American - they've angled the show so it can be popular beyond the UK. I was expecting a cheerleading team to emerge at any moment. Jul 15, 2020 Full Review Lauren Carroll Harris Guardian The season develops in tone and depth beyond its initial easy comic setup; at its heart is the notion that the problems, frustrations and disappointments of teenagers are as real and valid as those of the so-called grown-ups. Jul 24, 2019 Full Review Melinda Houston Sydney Morning Herald Funny, occasionally cringe-making but always with enormous heart. Rated: 3.5/5 May 14, 2019 Full Review Alex Diedrick Uproxx Anderson's comedic timing is spot-on. Nov 11, 2021 Full Review Olly Richards NME (New Musical Express) A teen show that's surprisingly mature about sex. Rated: 4/5 Apr 29, 2021 Full Review Manuel Betancourt Electric Literature Watching Sex Education is a joy precisely because it mines boners for all their worth. Sep 4, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (330) audience reviews
      Tristan C Brilliant through and through. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/02/24 Full Review Amanda K I'll say it upfront - I don't think I'm the audience for this show. I see that it has some merits. The cast is fantastic, the writing is...adequate. But I just don't care. I think I'm just too old and over high school drama to be bothered. Gillian Anderson is fantastic. Her performance and the writing of her character mixes and fantastic blend of cringe and warmth. She's just a typical mom that happens to be a sex therapist. I do really like the depiction of her relationship with her son. If more families could talk like this - not just about sex, but in general - the world would be a better place. The main protagonist is...fine. In the episode I watched, he came off as flat at best. But maybe that's the point? I chose to watch this how because I wanted to see earlier work of Ncuti Gatwa, and I'm glad that I did. He is a star the moment the camera sets eyes on him. I couldn't look away. How this is one of his first roles and to carry himself with such confidence is astounding. I really am not sure if I will watch the remainder of the show. I do feel that I would only be watching it to witness his glow lighting up the screen. His costars basically melt into the scenery if he's in the scene with them and that just seems unfair. I am absolutely shaking with anticipation to see what he brings to the Doctor. I'm glad I watch the show, but I really don't think it's for me. And that's ok. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 12/31/23 Full Review Jonathan M A very solid and well written teenage coming of age story. The characters are well developed, the dialog is witty, and the humor is pretty good. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 12/11/23 Full Review matthias s "Sex Education" Season 1 is an uproarious, coming-of-age cocktail with a splash of heart and a healthy dose of humor. This raucous romp through the tangled lives of Moordale's high schoolers had me hooked from the get-go. With a brilliant mix of wit and sincerity, the series navigates the minefield of adolescence and sexuality with refreshing candor. The show's genius lies in its vibrant characters; Otis, the awkward yet endearing protagonist, and Maeve, the rebellious intellect with a heart of gold, form a captivating duo. The ensemble cast is a kaleidoscope of personalities, each contributing to the show's quirky charm. "Sex Education" fearlessly tackles taboos with compassion and rib-tickling comedy, creating an addictive blend that's as enlightening as it is entertaining. The seamless balance of laughter, heartfelt moments, and unflinching honesty makes this series a must-watch for anyone navigating the labyrinth of teenage life. Can't wait to dive into Season 2! Rated 4 out of 5 stars 12/10/23 Full Review Schizo V The actors involved really delivered some amazing performances. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 12/04/23 Full Review James O A hilarious, view into the minds of teenagers and adults alike! a great branching story that follows not ONLY the raunchy side of being a teenager. It also encapsulates the trials of life. Giving a glance into the many diverse and often uncomfortable backgrounds of the teenagers it follows. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 12/04/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 1 Despite the ministrations of sex therapist mom Jean and encouragement from pal Eric, Otis worries that he can't get it on -- he's not the only one. Details Episode 2 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 2 Egged on by Maeve -- and finding that dispensing sex tips is tougher than he thought -- Otis tries offering free advice at a classmate's house party. Details Episode 3 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 3 Otis' clinic achieves liftoff, as does his attraction to Maeve, who unexpectedly asks him for help; Eric swings off on his own and fields a come-on. Details Episode 4 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 4 Eric realizes Otis has fallen for Maeve, but the young sex therapist finds himself torn when hot guy Jackson seeks help with his secret crush. Details Episode 5 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 5 An explicit pic puts a mean girl on the spot; Maeve wants to track down the shaming culprit, forcing Otis to make a tough choice on an important day. Details Episode 6 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 6 Eric's trauma isolates him, and Maeve's essay wins a prize; Otis tries to hook up with Lily, but his deep-seated issues get in the way. Details Episode 7 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 7 The big dance brings out the best -- and the drama -- in Moordale's student body; Otis finds a date, Maeve gets her dress and Eric returns with style. Details Episode 8 Aired Jan 11, 2019 Episode 8 Otis feels violated by Jean's new book, and Maeve takes the fall for her brother; Eric serves detention with an old foe, while Lily's body betrays her. Details
      73% 66% Bonding TRAILER for Bonding 19% 89% Disjointed 57% 76% Huge in France 11% 84% Insatiable TRAILER for Insatiable 98% 86% Special TRAILER for Special Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (80) Critics Reviews
      Scott Bryan BBC.com The weirdest thing I think is that it's a school which is incredibly American - they've angled the show so it can be popular beyond the UK. I was expecting a cheerleading team to emerge at any moment. Jul 15, 2020 Full Review Lauren Carroll Harris Guardian The season develops in tone and depth beyond its initial easy comic setup; at its heart is the notion that the problems, frustrations and disappointments of teenagers are as real and valid as those of the so-called grown-ups. Jul 24, 2019 Full Review Melinda Houston Sydney Morning Herald Funny, occasionally cringe-making but always with enormous heart. Rated: 3.5/5 May 14, 2019 Full Review Alex Diedrick Uproxx Anderson's comedic timing is spot-on. Nov 11, 2021 Full Review Olly Richards NME (New Musical Express) A teen show that's surprisingly mature about sex. Rated: 4/5 Apr 29, 2021 Full Review Manuel Betancourt Electric Literature Watching Sex Education is a joy precisely because it mines boners for all their worth. Sep 4, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Creator
      Laurie Nunn
      Executive Producer
      Jamie Campbell
      Screenwriter
      Bisha K. Ali
      Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-MA
      Genre