Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – The Rain

2018 Mystery & Thriller Drama TRAILER for The Rain: Season 1 Trailer List
      82% 33 Reviews Tomatometer 61% 500+ Ratings Audience Score The world as we know it has come to an end, due to a rain-carried virus that wiped out nearly everybody in Scandinavia. Six years after that event, two Danish siblings emerge from the safety of the bunker where they have been staying. After discovering all remnants of civilization gone, they join a group of fellow young survivors, and together they head out on a danger-filled quest throughout the abandoned land in search of signs of life. The survivors think they have been set free from societal rules of the past, but they quickly find that even in a post-apocalyptic world there is love, jealousy and other coming-of-age dilemmas that young people have always faced. Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

The Rain — Season 1

Netflix

Watch The Rain — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix.

The Rain — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

The Rain starts out slow, but develops into a thrilling addition to the dystopia television genre.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (153) audience reviews
      Claudiu I First series it is interesting. The plot is developing slow but promising. Good acting. What I didn't live is the music, not very inspired, not sustaining the image. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 05/27/23 Full Review gillyinnes 5 Minutes into it - and already I am so glad I did not have children - how dumb were these two! Sometimes, you need to stay focused and follow orders from those who know better - the girl was faffing, emotional and dithering and it frustrated me so much and the little boy so feeble and dependent - if the dad knew of such things, you stay real with your kids and explain there is a bunker and that it will protect you. First thing they did is moan on arrival and the stupid girl opened the door when she shouldn't - can't kids take any orders these days ? If my dad had said do not open the door - I would not open the bloody door. This scenario is actually very likely to be our future - so I would be taking notes if I were you - but not from the stupid kids in this show ! Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/14/23 Full Review Steve Swihart T S1 is the best season, followed by 2, followed by 3. This show has plot holes large enough to drive/ship the entire GDP of the US, China and EU combined. A virus is in the rain and will kill you quickly if rain gets on you, but it can't seem to travel in streams or groundwater or fog, etc? The world walls of Scandinavia and has a gate in the wall that only is manned by folks on the diseased side? A company somehow created it with some eye toward controlling the population? Some of the infected can control it and put out waves of dark particles that do stuff - kill people, heal those whose immune systems are suppressed .... Also, can't the rest of the world airlift supplies in? Send in some folks to do research? Maybe some power lines such? That said, we did watch it all and the acting is, while not bad, also not good. Good enough. Effects are fine for TV, sets are well-done - the right amount of decay/rot. No idea why everyone has to yell "Rasmus" all the time, and some of the other character's names. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/08/23 Full Review J l Since the beginning Rasmus character was bad and annoying. I kept hoping for his character to change but I hated it up until the end. Self centered, whiney, non remorseful character throughout all 3 seasons. The ending felt rushed and so simplistic. The fathers character and his disappearance was so simple and of small importance than it was made out to be. Wasted hours of my life watching this show, hope you don't. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 03/06/23 Full Review Alex P Annoying and clumsy characters Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 03/02/23 Full Review julien d Within 5 minutes onto series 1 episode one the 2 kids have done enough stupid things for you to wish they die quick. Nonsense from the start. Pill up on motorway but within 5 minutes run they find themselves in secure bunker... ... too much too soon to even bother giving this a chance! No way to relate to these characters who seem determined to make as many bad decisions as possible in such short period. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/21/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired May 4, 2018 Stay Inside A deadly virus spread by rainfall forces siblings Simone and Rasmus to seek refuge in an underground bunker, parting ways with their scientist father. Details Episode 2 Aired May 4, 2018 Stay Together After six years of isolation, Simone and Rasmus encounter other survivors; to stay alive, Simone must prove herself useful to the group. Details Episode 3 Aired May 4, 2018 Avoid the City Simone and the others set out for Apollon headquarters in Sweden, but their trek through Copenhagen is fraught with peril. Details Episode 4 Aired May 4, 2018 Trust No One Jealousy flares in Martin and Beatrice; Simone and Rasmus meet a doctor with a connection to their father; a memory haunts Jean. Details Episode 5 Aired May 4, 2018 Have Faith Lost in the woods, the group stumbles upon a mansion; the residents invite them to stay the night, and Lea bonds with one of the women. Details Episode 6 Aired May 4, 2018 Keep Your Friends Close Rasmus and Beatrice grow closer as they spend time alone together; the others discover a new bunker -- and a disturbing secret that lies within. Details Episode 7 Aired May 4, 2018 Don't Talk to Strangers A band of armed strangers tries to extract information from Patrick; Rasmus begins to unravel in the wake of a grim discovery. Details Episode 8 Aired May 4, 2018 Trust Your Instincts The group arrives at Apollon headquarters, where Simone learns startling truths about the virus, her father and Rasmus. Details
      37% 67% Marvel's Iron Fist TRAILER for Marvel's Iron Fist % 84% When Heroes Fly 93% 91% The Haunting of Hill House TRAILER for The Haunting of Hill House 100% 71% The Order TRAILER for The Order % 66% The Protector TRAILER for The Protector Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This show is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (33) Critics Reviews
      Sean T. Collins Decider It's not so much that The Rain breaks new ground for the postapocaptic-dystopia narrative. It's simply that it shows how much more ground there is to explore in that great big quarantine zone of a genre. Jun 20, 2018 Full Review Jo Livingstone The New Republic It's a damp squib, not a downpour. May 11, 2018 Full Review Steve Greene indieWire The Rain never gets to the point where you're pulling for the water droplets, but this is one barren wasteland that makes it difficult to care about anything other than surviving it. Rated: C+ May 4, 2018 Full Review Haleigh Foutch Collider The Rain offers a potent mixture of enticing mystery, propulsive action, and most importantly, fascinating characters that aren't easy to pin down. Rated: 4/4 May 31, 2019 Full Review Evan Narcisse io9.com The emotional journeys of the young people eking out a tense post-apocalyptic existence pulled me in much more than I was expecting because every character is constructed with surprising nuance and balance. Dec 21, 2018 Full Review Monika Bartyzel Collider The Rain is some of the best survivalist drama to hit screens in years, even if it leans heavily on the familiar tropes, with exciting, unpredictable and genuinely likable characters that keep you glued to the screen. Rated: 4/5 Nov 12, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Director
      Kenneth Kainz, Natasha Arthy
      Screenwriter
      Jannik Tai Mosholt
      Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-MA
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller, Drama
      Original Language