Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 2 – Stranger Things

2017 Drama Sci-Fi Horror Mystery & Thriller List
      94% 150 Reviews Tomatometer 90% 5,000+ Ratings Audience Score Mysteries unravel in a small Midwestern town in the 1980s, involving supernatural forces, secret experiments and one strange girl. Read More Read Less Watch on Netflix Stream Now

Where to Watch

Stranger Things — Season 2

Netflix

Watch Stranger Things — Season 2 with a subscription on Netflix.

Stranger Things — Season 2

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Stranger Things' slow-building sophomore season balances moments of humor and a nostalgic sweetness against a growing horror that's all the more effective thanks to the show's full-bodied characters and evocative tone.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (933) audience reviews
      Grimm R Stranger Things Season 2 kicks off one year after the disappearance of Will Byers where everything seems normal until they discover a darkness lurking just beneath the surface and threatening the town of Hawkins. Now let me start off by saying the whole cast still has wonderful chemistry as they did in the first season, especially when giving Lucas a love interest this time and also getting to see Nancy & Jonathan, and Joyce & Hopper grow closer, we get to see their chemistry which makes for some great scenes. But the two relationships that I loved the most are Hopper & El, and Dustin & Steve as Hopper & El develop this father and daughter relationship which is just so heartwarming and sweet. Steve and Dustin is one of those pairings you just wouldn't expect but they honestly work so well for me and is probably one of my favorite parts of this season. I also was really impressed with the cgi and effects in this season which is truly a step up from the first season with the cinematography. This season also does really well with setting certain lore and background context revolving the upside down and the analogies that are used for the Upside down, the mind flayer, and certain scientific things like that. But with that being said, this season is probably the weakest to me when it comes to the plot and how all of the subplots work and come together. In my opinion, the story in this season felt rushed and wasn't given the same amount of thought that went into the first season while at the same time trying to make sure it surpasses the first season. The plot revolving around Will being possessed and a spy for the Mind Flayer honestly just does not interest me. Like I love the certain rules that are given like how the demogorgon and mind flayer are connected to a hive mind but other than certain context like that, this plot just did not work. The subplots that interested me revolved around Steve, Dustin, Lucas, and the new character Max. I loved that subplot from the beginning of the season to the end. Now as I wasn't a fan of the plot with El discovering herself, I really loved the dialogue and the scenes we got between El & Hopper because they truly had great dramatic scenes and had great natural chemistry. I also really love the relationship between Nancy and Jonathan in this season and I thought the mini subplot with them was also pretty good, but the way all of these plots came together like I said just did not work for me and felt rushed and a good part of the show dragged for me. Overall, Stranger Things season 2 might be the worst of the show so far, but it does have certain things to keep you watching the show altogether. B- Rated 3 out of 5 stars 05/01/24 Full Review james o season 2 of stranger things brings the creatures out of the dimension. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/24 Full Review Yogesh R I also liked this season a lot. I liked the writing, screenplay, VFX, sound, acting & location of this show. This season is also filled with thrill and suspense. This show makes you laugh as well as scares. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/30/24 Full Review nintendo s I find this season less great then the previous one. It's clearly not bad but I have problems with it. The characters are still as good as in the previous season. There are new relationships and I do really like them. I have one problem and that's the enemy. In season 1 you get really interested in the monster and in season two you don't. The characters make a great drama but it feels more like that then like horror. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/21/24 Full Review Casey N Season 2: a very underrated season. Because of one episode (which was actually a good episode) this season is overlooked and is usually ranked by most people as the worst season of the show but this season is a great follow up and is far better than the last season its way more epic, scary and exciting and adds multiple new likable characters to the show. 10/10 Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/08/24 Full Review Audience Member Stranger Things Season 2 expands upon the deeper themes of Season 1, those of other-worldly creatures and corrupt government and military, and Sean Astin plays Bob perfectly. However, I find that this season takes its time, episodes 1-8 are all rising action, with the climax happening towards the end of the last episode. If you enjoyed Season 1, you will most definitely enjoy Season 2. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/17/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter One: MADMAX As the town prepares for Halloween, a high-scoring rival shakes things up at the arcade; skeptical Hopper inspects a field of rotting pumpkins. Details Episode 2 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Two: Trick or Treat, Freak After Will sees something terrible while trick or treating, Mike wonders if Eleven is still out there; Nancy wrestles with the truth about Barb. Details Episode 3 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Three: The Pollywog Dustin adopts a strange new pet; Eleven grows increasingly impatient; well-meaning Bob urges Will to stand up to his fears. Details Episode 4 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Four: Will the Wise Ailing Will opens up to Joyce -- with disturbing results; as Hopper digs for the truth, Eleven unearths a surprising discovery. Details Episode 5 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Five: Dig Dug Nancy and Jonathan exchange conspiracy theories with a new ally; Eleven searches for someone from her past; "Bob the Brain" tackles a difficult problem. Details Episode 6 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Six: The Spy Will's connection to a shadowy evil grows stronger, but no one knows how to stop it; Dustin and Steve forge an unlikely bond. Details Episode 7 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister Psychic visions draw Eleven to a band of violent outcasts and an angry girl with a shadowy past. Details Episode 8 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Eight: The Mind Flayer An unlikely hero steps forward when a deadly development puts the Hawkins lab on lockdown, trapping Will and others inside. Details Episode 9 Aired Oct 27, 2017 Chapter Nine: The Gate Eleven makes plans to finish what she started; the survivors turn up on the heat on the monstrous force that's holding Will hostage. Details
      % % Yanxi Palace: Princess Adventures 100% 85% The Journalist 64% 75% Ginny & Georgia TRAILER for Ginny & Georgia % 91% Northern Rescue % 89% Resurrection: Ertugrul Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (150) Critics Reviews
      Michael Idato Sydney Morning Herald The second season steps up the pace gently, without losing its firm grip on the very specifically dated narrative speed of the first season. Dec 29, 2017 Full Review Hugo Rifkind Times (UK) I've no idea where it's going, but that's hardly surprising because I've also no real idea where it went. I'll watch it all. Probably, so will you. Nov 13, 2017 Full Review Randall Colburn AV Club How many other shows about alternate dimensions and Dungeons & Dragons monsters operate with such emotional subtlety? Haters to the left. Nov 10, 2017 Full Review Keith Garlington Keith & the Movies A good follow-up season that may not live up to enormous strengths of the first, but does enough to keep us interested and excited for what comes next. Rated: 3.5/5 Aug 19, 2022 Full Review Nathan Mattise Ars Technica The end of Stranger Things S2 slays whatever early-season nitpicks existed. Jul 28, 2021 Full Review Kelechi Ehenulo Confessions From A Geek Mind This was a near perfect season and Stranger Things will only get bigger...and stranger. Rated: 4/5 Jul 15, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Season Info

Director
      Ross Duffer, Matt Duffer
      Executive Producer
      Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer, Shawn Levy, Dan Cohen
      Screenwriter
      Ross Duffer, Matt Duffer
      Network
      Netflix
      Rating
      TV-14
      Genre