Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

In My Mother's Skin

2023 1h 37m Action Horror Mystery & Thriller Fantasy War List
      86% 36 Reviews Tomatometer 50% Fewer than 50 Ratings Audience Score Set in the Philippines at the end of World War II, In My Mother's Skin follows the story of Tala, a 14-year-old daughter of a textile merchant who lives in a war-worn colonial house with her sickly mother Ligaya and younger brother Bayani. When Tala's father mysteriously leaves once more to barter for his family's freedom with the Japanese, his family finds themselves alone in their isolated forest mansion, awaiting his return. With Ligaya's condition rapidly deteriorating, Tala seeks out a mysterious fairy who has promised to protect her. Happy to oblige, the fairy gives Tala a magical insect to cure her dying mother. This initially provides Ligaya with relief, but later leads to disastrous consequences that force Tala to make a distressing decision. Read More Read Less Watch on Prime Video Stream Now

Where to Watch

In My Mother's Skin

Prime Video

Watch In My Mother's Skin with a subscription on Prime Video.

In My Mother's Skin

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Grim and macabre, In My Mother's Skin is a bleakly effective blend of historical and supernatural horror.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (36) Critics Reviews
      Claire Shaffer New York Times This film’s unwavering depiction of children suffering will no doubt come across as excessive to some, but it’s what makes “In My Mother’s Skin” so beguiling and terrifying. Oct 12, 2023 Full Review Nick Allen RogerEbert.com It’s miserable stuff, and not in an entertaining way. Feb 3, 2023 Full Review Leslie Felperin Hollywood Reporter Gory, glittery and irresistibly bleak, In My Mother’s Skin represents a stylish, ripe contribution to the folk-horror canon. Jan 30, 2023 Full Review Lee Zumpe Tampa Bay Newspapers Dagatan delivers this compelling, tragically timely social commentary without diminishing the film’s ability to terrify and disturb viewers. Oct 26, 2023 Full Review John Sooja Common Sense Media But the foundation isn't there. There doesn't seem to be any reason for anything. Rated: 2/5 Oct 18, 2023 Full Review Romey Norton Ready Steady Cut Rich in cultural iconography, the film is able to bring storybook-style horror to life with historical, and political references, and is a must-watch for all horror/fantasy fans. Rated: 3.5/5 Oct 13, 2023 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (9) audience reviews
      Joel P Filipino Pan's Labyrinth without the magic and, worst of all, a proper ending. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 02/06/24 Full Review Juvil G The material for this film was 💯 great the color grading, cinematography plus the acting kudos to Felicity napuli he's such a great actress and to all of the cast too although the film's story has a little bit similar to Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth" film but it's nice seeing Filipino level up their movies. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/24/24 Full Review Friday N Slow and atmospheric and gross Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/24/24 Full Review Ana Q Ugliest movie ever!!! I liked bird box but this one, omg what a waste of time! Constant darkness, slow at it's best, 0 story, 0 reason to watch! Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 01/18/24 Full Review Solomon K This has got to be one of the worst films I've seen recently. It starts off great with interesting folklore and historical backdrop but leaves you with absolutely zilch at the end. The ending is awful not because it's depressing, but because of the nonsensical choices the characters make in the last few scenes making me wish I could get my time back and have chosen not to watch this. Total waste. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 01/17/24 Full Review Kikavelity In My Mother's Skin Doesn't just deliver a good storyline it also delivers great atmosphere, cinematography, lightning, visuals, and acting especially "Felicity Kyle Napuli" she really did a good act playing "Tala". Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/26/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

78% 68% The Witch 2: The Other One 86% 77% The Wrath of Becky TRAILER for The Wrath of Becky 0% 13% Deep Blue Sea 2 83% 20% The Heretics 44% 85% Don't Breathe 2 TRAILER for Don't Breathe 2 Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Movie Info

Synopsis Set in the Philippines at the end of World War II, In My Mother's Skin follows the story of Tala, a 14-year-old daughter of a textile merchant who lives in a war-worn colonial house with her sickly mother Ligaya and younger brother Bayani. When Tala's father mysteriously leaves once more to barter for his family's freedom with the Japanese, his family finds themselves alone in their isolated forest mansion, awaiting his return. With Ligaya's condition rapidly deteriorating, Tala seeks out a mysterious fairy who has promised to protect her. Happy to oblige, the fairy gives Tala a magical insect to cure her dying mother. This initially provides Ligaya with relief, but later leads to disastrous consequences that force Tala to make a distressing decision.
      Director
      Kenneth Dagatan
      Producer
      Eric Khoo, Teck Lim, Paulyn Chua
      Screenwriter
      Kenneth Dagatan
      Distributor
      Amazon Studios
      Production Co
      Clover Films, Epicmedia Productions
      Genre
      Action, Horror, Mystery & Thriller, Fantasy, War