Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

birth/rebirth

R Released Aug 18, 2023 1h 38m Horror Mystery & Thriller Sci-Fi TRAILER for birth/rebirth: Trailer 1 List birth/rebirth: Trailer 1 birth/rebirth: Trailer 1 2:11 View more videos
      96% Tomatometer 95 Reviews 74% Audience Score 100+ Ratings Rose (Marin Ireland) is a pathologist who prefers working with corpses over social interaction. She also has an obsession -- the reanimation of the dead. Celie (Judy Reyes) is a maternity nurse who has built her life around her bouncy, chatterbox six-year-old daughter, Lila (A.J. Lister). When one tragic night, Lila suddenly falls ill and dies, the two women's worlds crash into each other. They embark on a dark path of no return where they will be forced to confront how far they are willing to go to protect what they hold most dear. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 14 Buy Now

Where to Watch

birth/rebirth

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent birth/rebirth on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

birth/rebirth

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Firmly rooted in classic horror, Birth/Rebirth uses a familiar framework to tease at fundamental fears from a chillingly relatable angle.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (95) Critics Reviews
      John Anderson Wall Street Journal It is the understated, matter-of-fact tone of the story that sucks us in, and the two central performances that help make this effort by Ms. Moss such a singular addition to the monster catalog. Nov 10, 2023 Full Review Sergio Burstein Los Angeles Times One of the most impactful genre films in recent times, and it's accompanied by a feminist imprint that is never demonstrated to be concessive. [Full review in Spanish] Oct 5, 2023 Full Review Katie Walsh Tribune News Service In teasing out the complex relationship between life and death in relationship to birth and “Frankenstein,” Moss presents a provocative existential quandary, and reminds us that horror stories have been women’s stories all along. Rated: 3.5/4 Aug 18, 2023 Full Review Maria Lattila Film Stories There’s a lot to love about Birth/Rebirth, but the film can’t quite overcome a slightly undercooked story. Rated: 3/5 Jan 29, 2024 Full Review Pete Vonder Haar Houston Press Even though the pair come to what we'll call their "arrangement" for different reasons, their contradictory personalities end up meshing in a kind of perverse symbiosis. Rated: 3.5/5 Jan 25, 2024 Full Review Eddie Harrison film-authority.com …Laura Moss’s debut feature is a sombre, grim but very effective riff on the story that Mary Shelley came up with. It’s a little Stephen King’s Pet Semetary, a little David Cronenberg, but it’s also a fierce feminist take… Rated: 4/5 Jan 22, 2024 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (56) audience reviews
      Joel Didn’t like the ending but it had me entertained throughout ! Solid! Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 08/22/23 Full Review Ravikumar Best movie to watch which makes you think about life. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 08/21/23 Full Review Shane Fascinating and engrossing film. Kept me wanting to see how far the envelope was pushed. Just made a morality and science take back seat discussion. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 08/18/23 Full Review Audience Member There is something very special about this movie; the cast, writing and production. Don’t get me wrong, it’s dark AF and may be a bit of a “slow burn” for many people, but it was done really well. You can’t go wrong with Judy Reyes. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 05/18/24 Full Review Audience Member Boring , monotonous without a serious climax. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 05/12/24 Full Review Stuart B Venture into Birth/Rebirth knowing as little as possible about it if you can and you'll get the full ‘what am I watching?' effect that is missing in a lot of films nowadays. The film is so wonderfully creepy in a David Cronenberg sort of way and whilst the plots are not the same at all, I also got the same vibe that I did when I watched Jen & Sylvia Soska's American Mary a few years ago for the first time. Birth/Rebirth is fantastic, its unsettling, its bizarre, its very unique yet grounded in a reality we believe and is definitely a film that thriller/horror fans should check out. It has a very classic horror feel to it which I also love, the atmosphere that the film surrounds us with works to perfection and that is most definitely enhanced by Composer Ariel Marx who delivers one of the creepiest and unnerving horror film scores that I have heard since Christopher Young's score for 2012's Sinister. Its no secret or revelation that a good music score can enhance or elevate a film up a notch or two, but Ariel's score here is a huge win for Birth/Rebirth. Overall Birth/Rebirth is a great film which fires on all cylinders and there is a lot of great things to say about it, however for me the onscreen standout is Marin Ireland as Rose, who is so damn creepy and unsettling and yet isn't out of place in the world we live in at the moment. Shes certainly not someone Id like as a work colleague that's for sure. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/22/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

71% 77% Orphan: First Kill TRAILER for Orphan: First Kill 11% 47% Firestarter TRAILER for Firestarter 7% 29% The Legend of La Llorona TRAILER for The Legend of La Llorona 90% 68% Nanny TRAILER for Nanny 20% 23% The Grudge TRAILER for The Grudge Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis Rose (Marin Ireland) is a pathologist who prefers working with corpses over social interaction. She also has an obsession -- the reanimation of the dead. Celie (Judy Reyes) is a maternity nurse who has built her life around her bouncy, chatterbox six-year-old daughter, Lila (A.J. Lister). When one tragic night, Lila suddenly falls ill and dies, the two women's worlds crash into each other. They embark on a dark path of no return where they will be forced to confront how far they are willing to go to protect what they hold most dear.
      Director
      Laura Moss
      Producer
      David Newhouse, Brendan J. O'Brien
      Screenwriter
      Laura Moss, Brendan J. O'Brien
      Distributor
      IFC Films
      Production Co
      Shudder Films
      Rating
      R (Language|Gore|Disturbing Material|Nudity|Some Sexual Content)
      Genre
      Horror, Mystery & Thriller, Sci-Fi
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Aug 18, 2023, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Nov 10, 2023
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $138.6K
      Runtime
      1h 38m