As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Departed 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.79
4 hrs ago
The Demoniacs 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
23 hrs ago
The Departed 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.79
5 hrs ago
High Noon 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
14 hrs ago
The Warriors 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.77
16 hrs ago
The Nude Vampire 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.25

The Beekeeper 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Lisa Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$19.95
23 hrs ago
Prison Walls: Abashiri Prison I-III (Blu-ray)
$45.77
23 hrs ago
Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Oldboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$52.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Brute Force Blu-ray

United States
Criterion | 1947 | 98 min | Not rated | Sep 08, 2020

Brute Force (Blu-ray)
Large:

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (35.89 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.37:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.37:1

Audio
English: LPCM Mono (48kHz, 24-bit)

Subtitles
English SDH

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD-50)

Packaging
Booklet

Playback
2K Blu-ray: Region A (locked)

Price
List price: $39.95
Amazon: $27.10 (Save 32%)
New from: $23.99 (Save 40%)
In Stock, FREE shipping

Buy Brute Force on Blu-ray

Movie rating
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
 ratings.

Blu-ray rating
Video 4.5 of 54.5
Audio 4.5 of 54.5
Extras 3.2 of 53.2
Based on 1 user review

59%
popularity

Brute Force

(1947)

Brute Force Blu-ray delivers stunning video and reference-quality audio in this excellent Blu-ray release

At a tough penitentiary, prisoner plans to rebel against a power-mad chief guard.

For more about Brute Force and the Brute Force Blu-ray release, see Brute Force Blu-ray Review published by Dr. Svet Atanasov on August 29, 2020 where this Blu-ray release scored 4.0 out of 5.

Director: Jules Dassin
Writers: Richard Brooks, Robert Patterson
Starring: Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn, Charles Bickford, Yvonne De Carlo, Ann Blyth, Ella Raines
Producer: Mark Hellinger

» See full cast & crew

Brute Force Blu-ray, Video Quality

4.5 of 5

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.37:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Brute Force arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Criterion.

The following text appears inside the booklet that is provided with this release:

"This new 4K digital restoration was undertaken by TLEFilms Film Restoration & Preservation Services in Berlin using footage from four separate elements -- primarily a 35mm nitrate fine-grain master positive from the British Film Institute and a safety duplicate negative -- transferred via two film scanners, an IMAGICA Imager XE Advanced Plus and a Scanity HDR. Digital restoration was performed using the Pixel Farm's PFClean 2017 and Foundry's Furnace 4. The soundtrack was remastered from the 35mm composite fine-grain optical track print using Avid's Pro Tools and iZotope RX.

Restoration supervisor: Torsten Kaiser/TLEFilms Film Restoration & Preservation Services, Berlin.
Colorist: Roland Fliss/PostFactory GmbH, Berlin.
Restoration produced by Master Licensing, Inc.
Producer: Simon Brook.
Executive producers: Andrew Garroni."

The first release of this film that we covered on the site came from the United Kingdom in 2014. At the time I thought that the technical presentation of the film was very strong, and now that I have seen the 4K restoration my take on it remains the same.

I spent quite a bit of time comparing the old and new presentations of the film and I believe that most viewers will see improvements in two key areas. On this release the visuals reveal better ranges of nuances, so on a larger screen viewers should notice more details and improved depth. The difference isn't always significant, but on my system it was very easy to appreciate (see screencapture #8). During indoor and nighttime footage the improvements are easier to spot, but even during daylight footage the new presentation quite easily eliminates some black crush that is present on the old presentation (see screencapture #3). Density levels appear similar, but there are some darker footage where on the new presentation grain exposure is better. I am unsure if this improvement will be easily spotted and appreciated by untrained eyes, but it is there and again on a larger screen it certainly makes a difference. The new presentation lacks the contrasty edge of the old presentation, but I personally did not think that this was an issue that made the old release problematic. Image stability is good. The entire film looks very healthy as well. All in all, currently this is the most pleasing organic presentation of Brute Force that is available on disc. My score is 4.75/5.00. (Note: This is a Region-A "locked" Blu-ray release. Therefore, you must have a native Region-A or Region-Free player in order to access its content).

Brute Force Blu-ray, Audio Quality

5.0 of 5

There is only one standard audio track on this Blu-ray release: English LPCM 1.0. Optional English SDH subtitles are provided for the main feature.

The audio is clear and stable. It could be a bit 'thin' at times, but this is a limitation of the original soundtrack. I did a few tests to see if Miklós Rózsa's dramatic score sounds any different, but I did not detect a meaningful difference. However, on this release the upper register might be slightly healthier.

Similar titles you might also like

What is this?

Le Trou
Show more titles »

Similar titles suggested by members

The Rockford Files (1974-1980)
+-1
T-Men (1947)
+-1

Brute Force Blu-ray, News and Updates

Criterion Announces September Titles - June 15, 2020

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add six new titles to its Blu-ray catalog this September. They are: The Elephant Man (1980), Christ Stopped at Eboli (1979), Beau Travail (1999), The Naked City (1948), Brute Force (1947), and Martin Scorsese's ...

Brute Force Blu-ray - September 2, 2014

Arrow Films' Arrow Academy label has officially announced and detailed its upcoming Blu-ray release of Jules Dassin's Brute Force (1947), starring Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn, Charles Bickford, Yvonne De Carlo, Ann Blyth, Ella Raines, and John Hoyt. The release ...

Upcoming Arrow Video Releases - May 22, 2014

British distributors Arrow Video have revealed that they are planning to add a number of exciting titles to their Blu-ray catalog between July and September. Amongst them are David Cronenberg's Shivers (1975), Jules Dassin's Brute Force (1947), and Michael Armstrong's ...

» Show more related news posts for Brute Force Blu-ray

North America Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
Brute Force (1947) - September 8, 2020 (

Official Thread

)
21Sep 04, 2020

International Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
  Brute Force (Jules Dassin) Blu-ray from Arrow (

Official Thread

)
16Nov 09, 2023

Brute Force Blu-ray

$39.95 $27.10

Buy Brute Force on Blu-ray

Top Blu-ray Deals

The best Blu-ray deals online. Don't miss out on these great deals.

See Today's Deals »

Movie finder

Trending Blu-ray Movies

Trending in Theaters

Top 10 Sellers

Top 10 Pre-orders

Top 10 Bargains

This web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.
All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners.
© 2002-2024 Blu-ray.com. All rights reserved.
Registration problems | Business/Advertising Inquiries | Privacy Policy | Legal Notices