As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.01

Madame Web 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
16 hrs ago
The Guyver 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Complete Series 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.96

Andor: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96

The Cat and the Canary (Blu-ray)
$19.28
1 day ago
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.96

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Moon Knight: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.96

Goodbye Uncle Tom 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$20.38
2 hrs ago
Prey 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

El Norte Blu-ray

United States
DigiPack / The North Criterion | 1983 | 141 min | Not rated | Jan 20, 2009

El Norte (Blu-ray)
Large:

Drama
Foreign

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (28.96 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.78:1

Audio
English: LPCM Mono (48kHz, 16-bit)

Subtitles
English, English SDH

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD-50)

Packaging
Slipcover in original pressing
DigiPack, Inner print
Booklet

Playback
2K Blu-ray: Region A (locked)

Price
List price: $39.95
Amazon: $21.77 (Save 46%)
New from: $21.77 (Save 46%)
In Stock

Buy El Norte on Blu-ray

Movie rating
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
 ratings.

Blu-ray rating
Video 4.2 of 54.2
Audio 4.2 of 54.2
Extras 4.2 of 54.2
Based on 7 user reviews

71%
popularity

El Norte

(1983)

El Norte Blu-ray delivers great video and audio in this excellent Blu-ray release

Brother and sister Enrique and Rosa flee persecution at home in Guatemala and journey north, through Mexico and on to the United States, with the dream of starting a new life.

For more about El Norte and the El Norte Blu-ray release, see El Norte Blu-ray Review published by Dr. Svet Atanasov on December 27, 2008 where this Blu-ray release scored 4.0 out of 5.

Director: Gregory Nava
Writers: Gregory Nava, Anna Thomas
Starring: David Villalpando, Zaide Silvia Gutiérrez, Trinidad Silva, Tony Plana, Larry Cedar, Lupe Ontiveros
Producers: Bertha Navarro, Anna Thomas

» See full cast & crew

El Norte Blu-ray, Video Quality

4.0 of 5

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.78:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Gregory Nava's El Norte arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of the Criterion Collection.

I was very much looking forward to this disc given the fact that my only exposure to El Norte was via a worn-out VHS tape the film library of a major academic institution had in its collection. The VHS tape was in a terrible condition and, if I recall correctly, the only copy in circulation. So, I was very excited when I found out that Criterion were planning a Blu-ray release of Nava's film. This being said, El Norte certainly looks to have aged quite a bit. The print provided by Criterion reveals some mild contrast fluctuations, color-pulsations, and a generally good level of detail. Furthermore, film grain is intact and I did not detect any DNR alterations either. On the other hand, the actual print is clean - dirt, debris, and damage are not an issue of concern here. As I mentioned earlier, however, I noticed a few interesting contrast fluctuations (mostly during the first twenty scenes, during the village nighttime scenes). I assume that they are, more than likely, embedded into the actual master print. Nevertheless, the transfer looks quite strong and I have absolutely no problem recommending the Blu-ray disc to those of you interested in its content. Furthermore, El Norte certainly looks the best I've seen it look, and I believe that fans of the film will be exceptionally pleased with Criterion's presentation. (Note: This is a Region-A "locked" Blu-ray disc which you will not be able to play on your Region-B PS3 or SA. You will need a Region-Free or Region-A hardware to playback it).

El Norte Blu-ray, Audio Quality

4.0 of 5

K'iche', Spanish, and English: Uncompressed Monaural audio track is what you will find on this Blu-ray disc. Generally speaking, the audio presentation is on par with the video treatment. The dialog is crystal clear and very easy to follow and I did not detect any pops, cracks, or hissing. The music soundtrack, a colorful collection of tunes by The Folkloristas, Malecio Martinez, Linda O'Brien, Emil Richards (and a short fragment from Barber's Adagio for Strings, Op. 11), is quite effective in enhancing the dramatic journey the two protagonists embark on. Furthermore, the music appears well-blended with the dialog and I did not detect any balance issues to report here either. The audio is also notably crisp, well-rounded, and without any problematic volume fluctuations. Optional English, white, subtitles are provided for the main feature.

Similar titles you might also like

What is this?

Show more titles »

Similar titles suggested by members

La Bamba (1987)
+1
Alambrista! (1977)
+1
Godzilla (1954)
+-1

El Norte Blu-ray, News and Updates

Special Features for El Norte Announced - November 7, 2008

The Criterion Collection has announced the special features for the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'El Norte', which is currently scheduled to hit store shelves on January 20th. Technical specs have yet to be announced, by you can expect to see 1080p video accompanied ...

Criterion Plans El Norte, Adds Revanche - October 29, 2008

The Criterion Collection has revealed that they will bring the Gregory Nava film 'El Norte' to Blu-ray on January 20th. No technical specs or special features have been announced at this time. Additionally, Criterion Collection in conjunction with their sister ...

Forum Discussions

No related forum discussions for El Norte yet.

El Norte Blu-ray

$39.95 $21.77

Buy El Norte on Blu-ray

Top Blu-ray Deals

The best Blu-ray deals online. Don't miss out on these great deals.

See Today's Deals »

Movie finder

Trending Blu-ray Movies

Trending in Theaters

Top 10 Sellers

Top 10 Pre-orders

Top 10 Bargains

This web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.
All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners.
© 2002-2024 Blu-ray.com. All rights reserved.
Registration problems | Business/Advertising Inquiries | Privacy Policy | Legal Notices