As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57
9 hrs ago
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.19

Boy Kills World 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57
8 hrs ago
Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.19
13 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.19

Civil War (Blu-ray)
$22.98
9 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 1-4 Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.47

Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57

Postal 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.78
19 hrs ago
Ocean's Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$55.99

Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Complete Series 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.96

Madame Web 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray

United States
Criterion | 1982 | 1 Movie, 2 Cuts | 90 min | Rated R | May 11, 2021

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
Large:

Comedy
Coming of age
Teen
Romance
Drama

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (33.09 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)

Subtitles
English SDH

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD-50)

Packaging
Inner print
Booklet

Playback
2K Blu-ray: Region A (locked)

Price
List price: $39.95
Amazon: $32.86 (Save 18%)
New from: $29.79 (Save 25%)
In Stock, FREE shipping

Buy Fast Times at Ridgemont High on Blu-ray

Movie rating
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
 ratings.

Blu-ray rating
Video 3.8 of 53.8
Audio 4.0 of 54.0
Extras 3.8 of 53.8
Based on 1 user review

91%
popularity

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

(1982)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray delivers stunning video and reference-quality audio in this exceptional Blu-ray release

A group of Southern California high school students are enjoying their most important subjects: sex, drugs, and rock n' roll.

For more about Fast Times at Ridgemont High and the Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray release, see Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray Review published by Dr. Svet Atanasov on April 25, 2021 where this Blu-ray release scored 4.5 out of 5.

Director: Amy Heckerling
Writer: Cameron Crowe
Starring: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Robert Romanus, Brian Backer, Phoebe Cates
Producers: Art Linson, Irving Azoff, C.O. Erickson

» See full cast & crew

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray, Video Quality

4.5 of 5

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Fast Times at Ridgemont High arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Criterion.

The following text appears inside the booklet that is provided with this Blu-ray release:

"This new digital transfer was created in 16-bit 4K resolution on a Lasergraphics Director scanner from the 35mm original camera negative. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, and warps were manually removed using MTI Film's DRS, while Digital Vision's Phoenix was used for jitter, flicker, and small dirt. The 5.1 surround soundtrack was created in 2004 by the Universal Studios Sound Department from the original 35mm DME magnetic track and the half-inch magnetic music masters. Additional restoration was performed by the Criterion Collection.

Transfer supervisor: Amy Heckerling.
Colorist: Lee Kline/Criterion Post, New York."

This upcoming release is sourced from an exclusive new 4K master that was supervised and approved by director Amy Heckerling. I did some direct comparisons with the previous release of the film from Universal Pictures and I just want to tell you upfront that the upgrade in quality is so dramatic that addressing specific areas is essentially a waste of time. Indeed, on the previous release the film actually does not have any notable organic qualities -- it looks sharpened, harsh, and smeary; plus, there are color inconsistencies and anomalies that make the visuals appear awfully dated as well.

The new master boasts very nice delineation, clarity, and depth. Density levels are very strong as well, so if you view your films on a larger screen you will discover all sorts of different fine details and nuances that are lost on the previous release. Also, the new master is very nicely graded. Both the primaries and the supporting nuances look very healthy and nicely balanced. This being said, there are a couple of scenes where I felt that saturation levels should be slightly better, and I am quite certain that in native 4K they are. On the other hand, I think that the darker areas have plenty of subtle nuances that I would have expected to see in native 4K. (Together with everything else that I saw, this basically confirms my suspicion that this new 4K master will look incredible in native 4K). However, in a couple of indoor sequences I noticed that the grain becomes a tad looser than it should be, so a few minor encoding optimizations could have been used to strengthen its appearance. So, the new 4K master delivers the type of solid upgrade Fast Times at Ridgemont High desperately needed and its fans hoped would materialize. (Note: This is a Region-A "locked" Blu-ray release. Therefore, you must have a native Region-A or Region-Free player in order to access its content).

*Also included on this release is the TV version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which features some edited and alternate footage that is not present in the original theatrical version of the film. The TV version is ninety-five minutes long (01.35.07), which means that it is approximately five minutes longer than the theatrical version. The TV version is presented in 1080p and has a Dolby Digital 1.0 audio track. There are no optional English SDH subtitles for it.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray, Audio Quality

5.0 of 5

There is only one standard audio track on this Blu-ray release: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit). Optional English SDH subtitles are provided for the main feature.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High has a top-notch soundtrack with great '80s hard rock tunes, so I had the volume on my system turned up a lot. I thought that the lossless track was outstanding. It had plenty of oomph (for a film from the era), great depth, and solid clarity and sharpness. Really, folks, it sounded fantastic on my system. (Check out the sequence where Sean Penn wrecks the racer). The dialog is clear and stable. There are no traces of annoying age-related imperfections.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Other Editions

Blu-ray
1-disc
$9.99

Blu-ray
1-disc

Blu-ray
2-disc set

Blu-ray
1-disc

Blu-ray
1-disc
Target

Similar titles you might also like

What is this?

Show more titles »

Similar titles suggested by members

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
+4
American Graffiti (1973)
+2
Dazed and Confused (1993)
+2
Summer School (1987)
+2
Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1990-1993)
+1
Licorice Pizza (2021)
+1
Night of the Comet (1984)
+1
Pump Up the Volume (1990)
+1

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray, News and Updates

Blu-ray Sales: July 4-10: Godzilla vs. Kong on Top for a Month - July 16, 2021

For the week that ended on July 10th, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment's Godzilla vs. Kong came out on top again on both the Blu-ray-only and overall packaged media charts, once again in front of Universal Pictures Home Entertainment's Nobody and Walt Disney Home ...

Blu-ray Sales: May 9-15: Justice Society Plays a Game with The M... - May 26, 2021

For the week that ended on May 15th, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment's Justice Society: World War II topped the Blu-ray sales chart. In second place on the Blu-ray chart is another new release, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment's The Marksman, which topped ...

Criterion Announces May Titles - February 12, 2021

The Criterion Collection has announced its May batch of Blu-ray releases. They are: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982), Trances (1981), Merrily We Go to Hell (1932), Flowers of Shanghai (1998), and Nightmare Alley (1947).

» Show more related news posts for Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray

North America Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) (

Official Thread

)
898Apr 11, 2024
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)308Apr 26, 2021

International Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
  The Official Criterion UK Thread (

Official Thread

)
2513910 hours ago

Fast Times at Ridgemont High Blu-ray

$39.95 $32.86

Buy Fast Times at Ridgemont High on Blu-ray

Top Blu-ray Deals

The best Blu-ray deals online. Don't miss out on these great deals.

See Today's Deals »

Movie finder

Trending Blu-ray Movies

Trending in Theaters

Top 10 Sellers

Top 10 Pre-orders

Top 10 Bargains

This web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.
All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners.
© 2002-2024 Blu-ray.com. All rights reserved.
Registration problems | Business/Advertising Inquiries | Privacy Policy | Legal Notices