As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Once Upon a Time in the West 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.79
7 hrs ago
Crimson Peak 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99
1 day ago
The Game of Clones: Bruceploitation Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray)
$144.04
19 hrs ago
Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57

Imaginary (Blu-ray)
$19.96
2 hrs ago
Narc 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Farewell My Concubine 4K (Blu-ray)
$40.08
13 hrs ago
Peter Gabriel: Back to Front - Live in London 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.19
3 hrs ago
Boy Kills World 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57

Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.19

Civil War (Blu-ray)
$22.98

Basket Case 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray

United States
Criterion | 1979 | 110 min | Rated G | Apr 30, 2019

My Brilliant Career (Blu-ray)
Large:

Drama
Romance
Coming of age
Period

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio
English: LPCM Mono

Subtitles
English SDH

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Single disc (1 BD-50)

Packaging
Inner print

Playback
2K Blu-ray: Region A (locked)

Price
List price: $39.95
Amazon: $32.86 (Save 18%)
New from: $22.95 (Save 43%)
In Stock, FREE shipping

Buy My Brilliant Career on Blu-ray

Movie rating
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
 ratings.

Blu-ray rating
Video 5.0 of 55.0
Audio 5.0 of 55.0
Extras 3.5 of 53.5
Be the first to review it!

33%
popularity

My Brilliant Career

(1979)

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray delivers truly amazing video and audio in this enjoyable Blu-ray release

As she comes of age in 19th-century Australia, the beautiful and headstrong Sybylla Melvyn stuns her family and friends by deciding to become a writer despite the restrictive Victorian environment in which they live. To pursue her ambitious dream, she rejects an enticing proposal from a handsome, wealthy, and persistent suitor, fearing the match might stifle her creativity.

For more about My Brilliant Career and the My Brilliant Career Blu-ray release, see My Brilliant Career Blu-ray Review published by Dr. Svet Atanasov on May 10, 2019 where this Blu-ray release scored 3.5 out of 5.

Director: Gillian Armstrong
Writers: Eleanor Witcombe, Miles Franklin
Starring: Judy Davis, Sam Neill, Robert Grubb, Julia Blake, David Franklin, Aileen Britton
Producer: Margaret Fink

» See full cast & crew

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray, Video Quality

5.0 of 5

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1, encoded with MPEG-4 AVC and granted a 1080p transfer, Gillian Armstrong's My Brilliant Career arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Criterion.

The following text appears inside the leaflet that is provided with this Blu-ray release:

"This new digital restoration was undertaken in collaboration with the National Film and Sound Archive in Australia. A new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution on a Northlight film scanner from the 35mm original camera negative. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris. scratches, splices, and warps were manually removed using MTI Film's DRS, while Digital Vision's Phoenix was used for jitter, flicker, small dirt, grain, and noise management. The original monaural soundtrack was remastered from the 35mm dual magnetic mono track by Spectrum Films in Moore Park, Australia.

Transfer supervisor: Gillian Armstrong, Donald McAlpine, Nicholas Beauman, Margaret Fink.
Project coordinator: Gayle Lake/National Film and Sound Archive, Acton, Australia.
Colorist: Roman Hankewycz/Harbor Picture Company, New York.
Additional color grading: Giles Sherwood/Criterion Post, New York; Vandal, Sydney".

The new presentation makes Blue Underground's old release from 2009 look quite poor. Simply put, the 4K restoration has delivered entirely different depth and ranges of nuances that are missing on the old master. At times the difference is so profound that on the other release portions of the old film look as if they are upscalled. Predictably, fluidity is also vastly superior, so if you are viewing your films on a larger screen or project, expect to see a variety of drastic improvements and in multiple areas. Colors are fresher, lusher, and also with new ranges of supporting nuances. There are no traces of problematic digital work. Lastly, the entire film looks exceptionally healthy as well. (Note: This is a Region-A "locked" Blu-ray release. Therefore, you must have a native Region-A or Region-Free player in order to access its content).

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray, Audio Quality

5.0 of 5

There is only one standard audio track on this Blu-ray release: English LPCM 1.0. Optional English SDH subtitles are provided for the main feature.

The lossless track is excellent. Depth, clarity, and dynamic balance are as good as one can expect from a film of this caliber. Also, it is worth pointing out that Blue Underground's release of My Brilliant Career had only a lossy Mono track, so the remastered Mono track actually offers a rather significant upgrade in quality.

My Brilliant Career: Other Editions

Blu-ray
1-disc
$15.99

Similar titles you might also like

What is this?

Great Expectations
Show more titles »

Similar titles suggested by members

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray, News and Updates

Criterion Announces April Titles - January 15, 2019

The Criterion Collection has announced that it will add seven new titles to its Blu-ray catalog in April. Amongst them are Jackie Chan's Police Story and Police Story 2, Jim Jarmusch's Strange Than Paradise and Night on Earth, and Elia Kazan's A Face in the C ...

North America Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
My Brilliant Career (1979) - April 30, 2019 (

Official Thread

)
7Dec 21, 2019

International Blu-ray Discussions

Topic
Replies
Last post
  My Brilliant Career (40th Anniversary)0Jul 17, 2019

My Brilliant Career Blu-ray

$39.95 $32.86

Buy My Brilliant Career on Blu-ray

Top Blu-ray Deals

The best Blu-ray deals online. Don't miss out on these great deals.

See Today's Deals »

Movie finder

Trending Blu-ray Movies

Trending in Theaters

Top 10 Sellers

Top 10 Pre-orders

Top 10 Bargains

This web site is not affiliated with the Blu-ray Disc Association.
All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners.
© 2002-2024 Blu-ray.com. All rights reserved.
Registration problems | Business/Advertising Inquiries | Privacy Policy | Legal Notices