Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Where's My Roy Cohn?

PG-13 Released Sep 20, 2019 1h 37m Documentary TRAILER for Where's My Roy Cohn?: Trailer 1 List
      87% 84 Reviews Tomatometer 77% 100+ Ratings Audience Score Roy Cohn personified the dark arts of American politics, turning empty vessels into dangerous demagogues. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Feb 20 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Where's My Roy Cohn?

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent Where's My Roy Cohn? on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Where's My Roy Cohn?

What to Know

Critics Consensus

It's blunt rather than balanced, but Where's My Roy Cohn? does what it sets out to do, offering a disquieting summary of its subject's life and legacy.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (84) Critics Reviews
      J. Hoberman Tablet However overwrought, Tyrnauer's movie forcefully illustrates Cohn's once cozy relationship with New York's rich, powerful, and privileged, many of them liberals and/or members of the media... Jun 22, 2020 Full Review Paul Byrnes Sydney Morning Herald The documentary does a reasonable survey of his faults and foibles, lining up those willing to plunge a knife, but it's neither definitive nor detailed enough to satisfy even a minimum standard of proof. Rated: 3/5 Dec 4, 2019 Full Review Adam Graham Detroit News Tyrnauer tells Cohn's story through interviews with family members and colleagues, and makes it very clear that he's indirectly telling the story of Trump. This exposé of "a personality in disarray" is a two-for-one deal. Rated: B+ Oct 18, 2019 Full Review Brian T. Carney Washington Blade In this excellent documentary, long-form journalist turned documentary filmmaker Matt Tyrnauer profiles Roy Cohn, the closeted gay lawyer who was the mastermind the Lavender Scare of the 1950s... Dec 7, 2022 Full Review Daniel Howat Next Best Picture The documentary does a phenomenal job of letting Cohn speak for himself, showing us how he didn’t really care how evil he seemed. It paints a ruinous portrait of a menacing man and leaves us frightened for how Trump’s story might end. Rated: 7/10 May 19, 2022 Full Review David Lamble Bay Area Reporter Director Matt Tyrnauer once again displays a remarkable ability to rummage around in our country's recent past as if it were an untidy closet, extracting painful mementos. May 26, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (31) audience reviews
      Audience Member Watched this on a plane, so I may well have missed some nuance, but this was nonetheless an engaging look at "the guy behind the guy." ...or perhaps many guys. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 02/08/23 Full Review david f A very interesting documentary about a notorious - and notoriously hypocritical - lawyer whose career spanned decades of American history. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review jimi l this is one of the most sensational looks at a devilish self hating creature who steered the world as we know it to it's current horrific position..ATTACK! DENY! sound familiar? Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member THIS MOVIE IS PROPAGANDA. DO NOT WATCH! Its not a very good doc and Its obvious this director goes overboard trying to smear this guy. Yes we all know that he was controversial and ruthless in the court room. Yes He did some bad things. The fact he played a huge part in exposing and eliminating communism in our government and hollywood is made to look like a bad thing when Cohn is actually a hero, We need the same thing today. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 01/27/23 Full Review brent m This hard-hitting documentary about McCarthy Era counsel Roy Cohn presents a rather damning portrait of its subject, one whose relentlessness, determination and drive served his dubious clients well but helped set the US down a path of unbridled greed and self-serving interests that have not only given free rein to the power elite. but have also changed the overall culture for the worse. The film features a wealth of archive footage -- so much so that it almost relies on it a little too much in telling its story -- but its team of analysts helps to balance that, offering colorful and telling commentary about a manipulative puppet master who has left quite a legacy -- and not one that anyone should be proud of. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member should be required viewing for every single person in this country...it's all about what we're about NOW, yikes! Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/17/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

98% 91% Inside Job 94% 85% Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali TRAILER for Blood Brothers: Malcolm X & Muhammad Ali 0% 88% Death of a Nation TRAILER for Death of a Nation 96% 82% The Dissident TRAILER for The Dissident 94% 79% My Name Is Pauli Murray TRAILER for My Name Is Pauli Murray Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Movie Info

Synopsis Roy Cohn personified the dark arts of American politics, turning empty vessels into dangerous demagogues.
      Director
      Matt Tyrnauer
      Distributor
      Sony Pictures Classics
      Production Co
      Sony Pictures Classics, Altimeter Films, Mongrel Media
      Rating
      PG-13 (Violent Images|Thematic Content|Some Sexual Material)
      Genre
      Documentary
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Sep 20, 2019, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Dec 15, 2019
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $704.8K
      Runtime
      1h 37m