Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Love Among the Ruins

1974 1h 40m Romance Comedy List
      Reviews 88% Fewer than 50 Ratings Audience Score An aging actress and socialite, Jessica Medlicott (Katharine Hepburn) has ended her engagement with a younger man and is now being sued by her former fiancé. Esteemed barrister Sir Arthur Glanville-Jones (Laurence Olivier) is assigned to represent Jessica in the lawsuit, and he also happens to be an old suitor of hers from decades earlier. While Jessica claims not to remember him, and Arthur still smarts from her earlier rejection, the two form a close bond during the case. Read More Read Less

Critics Reviews

View All (4) Critics Reviews
      Matt Brunson Film Frenzy A pleasant time-passer with two delightful stars. Rated: 3/4 May 4, 2020 Full Review Richard T. Jameson Parallax View Love among the Ruins is an exquisite film, which may imply and in this case does imply that it's quite a nice film. Also an elegant comedy. Mar 20, 2015 Full Review Emanuel Levy EmanuelLevy.Com A slender, stale yarn, set in the Edwardian period in which Olivier plays an elderly barrister who enocunters the love of his life, a famous actress (Hepbrun). Main reason to see this telepic is star power--the only teaming of Olivier and Hepburn. Rated: C+ Mar 4, 2007 Full Review Dennis Schwartz Dennis Schwartz Movie Reviews It's a pifle, but an utterly charming one. Rated: C+ Jan 27, 2003 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (5) audience reviews
      Steve D Really sweet and well written Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/27/24 Full Review Sue L The actors are without peer, it's fun to watch them at their prime and acting together; in what i think was their last performance, certainly their last together. I loved it the first time and drove years later thru an LA torrential rain to the museum of Television and Radio (Beverly hills; highly recommended for flic fans) for a special showing. I've never understood why this film was not replayed on TV or elsewhere. I fought to get the VCR and it will be the last recording of any kind in my library when i die. I guess you could say i like it. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 05/18/23 Full Review miltonsquirrel A brilliant and sentimental script provides one last little twilit miracle for the three big, venerable talents involved. Hilarious, touching and intelligent, with great period detail. If all made-for-TV movies were this well-acted and excellent, there would be little need for cinema. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/18/23 Full Review Audience Member Brilliant. A must see. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/15/23 Full Review Audience Member The epitome of great acting. A fine movie. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/30/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Movie Info

Synopsis An aging actress and socialite, Jessica Medlicott (Katharine Hepburn) has ended her engagement with a younger man and is now being sued by her former fiancé. Esteemed barrister Sir Arthur Glanville-Jones (Laurence Olivier) is assigned to represent Jessica in the lawsuit, and he also happens to be an old suitor of hers from decades earlier. While Jessica claims not to remember him, and Arthur still smarts from her earlier rejection, the two form a close bond during the case.
      Director
      George Cukor
      Screenwriter
      James Costigan
      Production Co
      ABC Circle Films
      Genre
      Romance, Comedy
      Original Language
      English
      Runtime
      1h 40m