Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Young Girls of Rochefort

G Released Mar 8, 1967 2 hr. 6 min. Musical Romance List
      98% 45 Reviews Tomatometer 84% 2,500+ Ratings Audience Score Delphine (Catherine Deneuve) and Solange (Françoise Dorléac) are twin sisters who each want to find romance and leave their small seaside town of Rochefort, France. Soon they befriend a couple of visiting carnival workers who frequent their lonely mother's (George Chakiris) café and hire the girls to sing in the carnival. Wanting a career as a songwriter, Solange falls for an American musician, Andy (Jacques Perrin), while Delphine dumps her beau and searches Rochefort for her ideal man. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 25 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Fandango at Home Prime Video Max Apple TV

Watch The Young Girls of Rochefort with a subscription on Max, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

What to Know

Critics Consensus

The Young Girls of Rochefort pays colorful homage to classic Hollywood musicals while earning its own emotionally affecting place of honor in the genre.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (214) audience reviews
      Jonathan G Oh my god, Gene Kelly absolutely rocked with this. Catherine Denueve once AGAIN gives a beautiful performance in this French musical comedy with a subplot about an axe murderer? This might just be a new favorite comfort film for me, just how gorgeous and bright it is, how amazing the songs are, and just how sweet the dialogue. This film is why I just love picking out random films from the criterion collection to hit, and this doesn't disappoint for even a minute. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/08/24 Full Review Alec B A more traditional musical from Demy with some truly delightful songs. He still finds a way to make it all incredibly weird which makes for an interesting mesh of style and genre. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/03/24 Full Review Audience Member I have seen this movie with no translation as I can speak french, the lyrics are selected with a great sensation , the music is superb and completely harmonized with each word, this movie can be considered as one of the best musical films in the 20 century. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/19/23 Full Review Audience Member ‘Les Demoiselles de Rochefort’ may be Jacques Demy's most frivolous film but it's also a masterpiece; a musical that owes almost everything to Minnelli, not to mention Donen and Kelly as well as Demy himself with touches of both ‘Lola’ and ‘Les Parapluies de Cherbourg’ very much to the fore. It also has one of the great scores, (by Michel Legrand), of any musical with lyrics by Demy himself and a cast headed by real-life sisters Catherine Deneuve and Francoise Dorleac, American musical stars George Chakiris, Grover Dale and Gene Kelly himself, as well as Danielle Darrieux, Michel Piccoli and Jacques Perrin. The plot is lighter than a soufflé and Ghislain Cloquet's cinematography, positively ravishing. It isn't as well known as ‘Les Parapluies de Cherbourg’ but it's certainly it's equal. I think it's one of the greatest musicals ever made. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/10/23 Full Review Audience Member The Young Girls Of Rochefort is the most beautiful movie I have ever seen. The music is the best ever written. This movie is magic and even heaven like.You can see that god enlightened everyone involved with this grand production. Costumes in the movie were light,pretty and feminine on the female stars. The dancer danced gracefully, the dancers were also so good as to bring the movie emotion, nearly as much as the actors. The first time that I saw the movie I was about Fourteen years old. When I saw it at 14 I loved it so much that I had to buy the soundtrack which was in french. That was 34 years ago and I believe that all generations will enjoy this movie, and the dancers do a version of the moonwalk; who would think it. I have the DVD movie and the soundtrack in French. When I saw the movie for the first time in 1972 the movie was in English. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/10/23 Full Review Audience Member I did not think there was a cure to the toppling depression which I was left in after The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but Jacques Demy managed to make do just that, through one of the great delightful cinematic experiences. I don't usually write reviews on rotten tomatoes, but this really should be one of the most appreciated French films ever made. I am not saying that it is overlooked, because it's certainly not that, and I definitely have no problems with Cherbourg, which is Demy's most well known picture in this country. I merely wish that this would get the same attention, because it deserves all that, and much more. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/19/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

100% 82% Lili 57% 75% The Student Prince 82% 73% Sweet Charity 95% 90% My Fair Lady TRAILER for My Fair Lady 94% 85% Funny Girl TRAILER for Funny Girl Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (45) Critics Reviews
      Carey Harrison Sight & Sound It must be allowed that [Jacques] Demy is an habitual offender on the count of sentimentality... yet he is capable of a tender, unsentimenial euphoria more intoxicating than any other film work in the field of sentimental farce. Mar 19, 2020 Full Review Melissa Anderson Village Voice A euphoric swirl of sherbet colors, Jacques Demy's Hollywood-musical homage The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967) elevates even the most mundane actions to the spectacular ... Apr 8, 2014 Full Review Keith Uhlich Time Out Despite the consistently sprightly surface, there's a somber undercurrent that lingers even when love triumphs and the music swells. Rated: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 Full Review Matt Brunson Film Frenzy It bypasses the more intimate style of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg to pay homage to splashy Hollywood musicals. Rated: 3/4 Apr 10, 2022 Full Review Robert Kotlowitz Harper's Magazine This follow-up to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is the French at their least charming, being a nearly unbearably coy Gallic imitation of an MGM musical dating from the heyday of Gene Kelly. Aug 4, 2020 Full Review David Harris Spectrum Culture Life's regrets aren't often the basis of a movie musical, yet French director Jacques Demy is best known for his two films that fit that exact description. Sep 30, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Delphine (Catherine Deneuve) and Solange (Françoise Dorléac) are twin sisters who each want to find romance and leave their small seaside town of Rochefort, France. Soon they befriend a couple of visiting carnival workers who frequent their lonely mother's (George Chakiris) café and hire the girls to sing in the carnival. Wanting a career as a songwriter, Solange falls for an American musician, Andy (Jacques Perrin), while Delphine dumps her beau and searches Rochefort for her ideal man.
      Director
      Jacques Demy
      Screenwriter
      Jacques Demy
      Distributor
      Miramax Films, Warner Bros., Miramax Home Entertainment [us], Miramax Zoë
      Production Co
      Madeleine Films, Parc Film
      Rating
      G
      Genre
      Musical, Romance