Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Machine

R Released Apr 8, 2014 1h 31m Sci-Fi Mystery & Thriller List
      79% 33 Reviews Tomatometer 46% 10,000+ Ratings Audience Score Two scientists fall in love while they are creating the world's first self-aware artificial intelligence. The work goes terribly wrong when the British military steals their technology to make a robotic weapon. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Oct 14 Buy Now

Where to Watch

The Machine

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent The Machine on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

The Machine

What to Know

Critics Consensus

The Machine proves an audacious debut for writer-director Caradog James and a solid entry in modern British sci-fi, with thematic heft to match its genre thrills.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (33) Critics Reviews
      Kate Muir Times (UK) The result is a tad predictable. Jan 2, 2018 Full Review Robert Abele Los Angeles Times "The Machine" percolates with an elegantly palpable sense of wonder and danger. Apr 24, 2014 Full Review Dennis Harvey Variety "The Machine" works modestly well, but still wobbles trying to balance its "thinking man's sci-fi" aspirations against the need to placate less adventurous fans via standard action content. Apr 23, 2014 Full Review Nicholas Bell IONCINEMA.com The Machine is a highly enjoyable and brooding sci-fi flick in the philosophical vein of Blade Runner, with a smattering of other similarly minded or styled classics. Rated: 3/5 Aug 30, 2019 Full Review Cleaver Patterson CineVue Here, the actions and objectives of the government manufactured robots are as volatile and unpredictable as those of the scientists and officials who create them, resulting in scenarios which are as shocking as they're unexpected. Rated: 4/5 Mar 8, 2019 Full Review Frank Ochieng SF Crowsnest Thankfully, the film generates its brand of suspense courtesy of smart and intriguing performances contained in a compartmentalized caper Rated: 2.5/4 Nov 11, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (368) audience reviews
      Axel X "The Machine" is one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time. I didn't know that this was an indie sci-fi film. These are the types of movies that I really enjoy seeing the most. Because, not to sound like a hipster, but in mainstream movies like "The Avengers" or "The Fast and The Furious" that spend millions of dollars on special effects it's refreshing to see a movie where you can tell that they have a limited budget at their disposal and yet they're still able to make the movie look great. This is not to say that I don't like "The Avengers" and yes I enjoyed The Fast and the Furious as movie junkfood for myself, but it's interesting to see how people decide to make their movies when they have such a low budget. One such movie that I personally enjoyed a lot despite all its flaws was a movie called "Ink." Which is a movie that I would highly recommend despite it's numerous plot holes and really bad editing. "The Machine" has flaws of its' own, but the director Caradog W. James made a really good movie here and for his first try I thought it was great. I feel almost as though the director of "Ex Machina", which was a good movie as well, stole a lot of the ideas from this movie. They both have a plot that centers on Artificial Intelligence, they ask the question how safe is artificial intelligence, the robots with the artificial intelligence in both movies are female AND they're both named AVA. And at this point I'm totally convinced that Alex Garland stole a lot of what he wrote in Ex Machina from "The Machine." But I don't really mind because both movies were entertaining and engaging in their own ways. With "The Machine" though the biggest difference is in how the main robot interacts with the world. Because by nature AVA in "The Machine" responds to the world with emotions that while they seemed fake to me, in the end AVA proved that she had feelings for the person that created her. And in the movie "Ex Machina" in the end that Ava really didn't care about her creator or the guy who was doing the Turing test on her. One thing I really liked about "The Machine" was that a lot of the scenes were very well lit in a way that which made the settings look even better than they probably were. And the special effects that were used looked amazing. There was this one scene that which I particularly enjoyed in which the machine had broken out of its containment and was naked. However we couldn't really see anything (which was rather disappointing), but it was just a beautiful scene when she started dancing and the machinery inside of her was lighting up as she danced. And the light given off from the laboratory was a blue color while the color coming from her was a red color. And I thought that was a beautiful scene of contrasting colors. If I had to choose between "Ex Machina" and "The Machine" as to which movie was better I think I would have to go with "The Machine" mainly because "The Machine" unlike "Ex Machina" actually had a happier ending and plus if Alex Garland did steal the idea of "The Machine" and put them into "Ex Machina" I would say that it was wrong of him to do that no matter what the result of "Ex Machina" were. Even though "Ex Machina" was a fantastic movie, this one was better. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/24/24 Full Review Tim O Watched this and 2015's 'Uncanny' back to back: Neither one held up as particularly memorable or likely to stick around for future rewatches... Rated 3 out of 5 stars 12/18/23 Full Review Joe W Maybe worth watching. Maybe not. Movie is a bit like the much better Ex Machina. Here characters are shallow and and behave so very inconsistently in order for the plot to work. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 10/21/23 Full Review Liam D A very interesting Sci-Fi Thriller with some great performances by Toby Stephens (Severance, Possession) and Caity Lotz (The Pact 2, Small Town Crime) Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/07/23 Full Review bill p Nice, sympathetic tale reminiscent of Phillip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" When would a robot be "alive?" Could self-consciousness exist in a non-organic entity? Fun stuff, plus some action and pathos. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Audience Member while i did enjoy it, i just wanted more to happen. it's a slow start, but you can tell it's building up to something bigger, which is exciting, but then when you're expecting absolute terror to reign down on everybody, 1 guy's skull gets crushed & that's it. so it was a pretty anti-climactic solution with a rather rushed ending afterwards. if you don't have anything better to do it's a decent watch, but i wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/20/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

31% 34% Infini 31% 30% Automata % 92% Chimera Strain 18% 25% The Last Days on Mars 47% 34% Synchronicity TRAILER for Synchronicity Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis Two scientists fall in love while they are creating the world's first self-aware artificial intelligence. The work goes terribly wrong when the British military steals their technology to make a robotic weapon.
      Director
      Caradog W. James
      Producer
      Jamie Carmichael, Paul Eyres, Robert Graham, Caradog W. James
      Screenwriter
      Caradog W. James
      Distributor
      XLrator Media
      Rating
      R (Violence|Some Language)
      Genre
      Sci-Fi, Mystery & Thriller