Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Heartstone

2016 2h 9m Drama LGBTQ+ TRAILER for Heartstone: Trailer 1 List
      84% 25 Reviews Tomatometer 77% 250+ Ratings Audience Score A young man discovers he has feelings for his best friend as he watches him pursue a young woman. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 02 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Heartstone

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent Heartstone on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Audience Reviews

View All (17) audience reviews
      Olive enjoyed but... i dont think child actors should have been acting some of those scenes Rated 3 out of 5 stars 02/12/24 Full Review zire i One of the legendary movie all the time. The story, the loneliness, the friendship, the boldness, everything. Sometimes in life you only need a true friend that always be there for you. No matter who you are, your sexuality, or anything. 10/10 from me ♥️ Rated 5 out of 5 stars 05/28/23 Full Review david l Heartstone is a highly realistic, relatable and accurate coming-of-age tale about sexual awakening and the many hardships of the puberty age. The characters are very well developed and performed while the movie was also gorgeously shot and authentic in its Icelandic village setting. The problems here are twofold. One is the overly graphic depiction of some scenarios and the somewhat problematic characterizations of the adults while the other is the movie's overlong runtime, which led to very bad pacing throughout. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member At points beautiful and heartbreaking. Yet the relentless focus on Thor while interesting leaves me wanting more for other characters in the film. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/20/23 Full Review Audience Member A very sweet movie about friendship and more. Well acted and written, especially when considering the ages of the actors. Interesting location. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/20/23 Full Review Audience Member Iceland seem to never let me down when it comes to movies. I don't know if it's the witty, strange stories or the culture or maybe the nature and lightning. Here there is definetly no wittyness as we follow to young pals, Thor (Baldur Einarssonand) and Kristján (Blær Hinriksson - darn cool name) as they grow up in the middle of nowhere, with few peole around. They never use phones, they hang around in the nature, some football, some farmer's stuff, some fishing, some mischief making and that first crush deal with the girls. While Thor seem to figure it out, he is the cooler kid, Kristján never get the grip the same way. He is very kind, especially to his friend. It's a very slow grinder and it turns darker and darker. Some will call it slow, but I found it perfectly paced, with a fitting 130 minutes playtime. This is a coming of age-film, with a gay-touch. It's strong and often hard to watch, but not in a graphic matter. The acting is phenomenal and it's beautifully shot. You can't help to catch up with feelings you had as a early teenager even if there are more downs than uppers here. I believe it deserves a much greater fuzz and I hadn't even heard of it before I stumbled upon it. A great, sad watch. 8.5 out of 10 bullrouts. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/17/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

91% % The Harvesters TRAILER for The Harvesters 88% 30% Young Hunter 57% 57% 15 Years 98% 69% The Heiresses 100% 53% Rialto TRAILER for Rialto Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (25) Critics Reviews
      Donald Clarke Irish Times Sadly, it makes every point three times and usually at too great a length. Surging with potential for all that. Rated: 3/5 Mar 2, 2018 Full Review Peter Bradshaw Guardian Some tighter editing was needed, not merely in terms of length but in giving more emphasis to the older generation and to Thor's sisters. But it is a fervent, intensely acted drama. Rated: 3/5 Nov 17, 2017 Full Review Gary Goldstein Los Angeles Times Despite its need for serious narrative compression, this remains an emotionally authentic, often poignant look at growing up and growing aware. Sep 28, 2017 Full Review Mikel Zorrilla Espinof It lacks that extra dose of inspiration to completely captivate the public. [Full Review in Spanish] Jul 23, 2019 Full Review Rachel Brook One Room With A View The focus on the boys' experiences is so resolute that elsewhere characterization does suffer in comparison. Rated: 4/5 Feb 22, 2019 Full Review Michael McNeely That Shelf The film packs an emotional punch, especially since it ventures further with its ending than most fare of its type. Feb 2, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A young man discovers he has feelings for his best friend as he watches him pursue a young woman.
      Director
      Guðmundur Arnar Guðmundsson
      Producer
      Lars Bjørn Hansen, Lars Bredo Rahbek
      Screenwriter
      Guðmundur Arnar Guðmundsson
      Production Co
      SF Film Production
      Genre
      Drama, LGBTQ+
      Original Language
      Icelandic