Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Current War: Director's Cut

PG-13 Released Oct 25, 2019 1h 41m History Drama Biography TRAILER for The Current War: Director's Cut List
      61% 108 Reviews Tomatometer 79% 1,000+ Verified Ratings Audience Score Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse -- the greatest inventors of the industrial age -- engage in a battle of technology and ideas that will determine whose electrical system will power the new century. Backed by J.P. Morgan, Edison dazzles the world by lighting Manhattan. But Westinghouse, aided by Nikola Tesla, sees fatal flaws in Edison's direct current design. Westinghouse and Tesla bet everything on risky and dangerous alternating current. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 17 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent The Current War: Director's Cut on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

What to Know

Critics Consensus

If it lacks the powerful voltage that its impressive cast suggests, The Current War: Director's Cut represents a significant improvement over previous versions.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (522) audience reviews
      MASSIE It felt like watching a 2 hour lecture in a college classroom. LOTS of information, LOTS of detail but what is the STORY? Why should I care?? Where is the emotion? It was like the director took the most important events between Edison Westinghouse and Tesla and then dramatized them and as quick as he could. I felt no emotional connection with the story or the characters at all. The camera work was different but not superb. The acting was above average but there on the screen long enough to make you care about anyone or any thing. It was there and then it was gone. The director needs a long course in pacing and structure and the Protagonist vs. Antagonist give and take, cause that was difficult to figure here. Was Edison the protagonist? Or was it Westinghouse? Or was Edison the Antagonist? It all gets very confusing and the director never makes a decision because I dont think he could decide. When you make it soft all the way around and you dont really hold anyone to account or you paint Edison out to be in some ways and then good in some ways, but none of it matters now because he invented film and the movies? The film is ALL OVER THE PLACE and feels like something directed by 8 different people and shot by 12 different directors of photography. I would not waste my time sitting through it again, but for students in high school or college, its a great source of history. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 12/09/19 Full Review DrMarte The film revealed several things I didn’t know, especially about Thomas Edison. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 11/25/19 Full Review Audience Member I caught this film about the introduction of electrical current and the disputes about AC and DC between Edison, Westinghouse, and Tesla just before the end of its theatrical run. This adaptation of an interesting story, that does not clearly separate the 'good' from the 'bad', is a bit underwhelming, to be honest. The story-line somehow seems flat without major highs and lows. Both Cumberbatch and Shannon are doing well in the acting department, though. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 02/10/23 Full Review Rob T Very interesting! Really enjoyed it!!! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/20/19 Full Review Kevin O A little slow - thought there would be a bit more action. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 11/20/19 Full Review James Excellent movie. Very nice adaptation of historical events Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/15/19 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

The Current War: Movie Clip - What a Roaring Silence The Current War: Movie Clip - What a Roaring Silence 0:49 The Current War: Movie Clip - Only Because You Said it Will The Current War: Movie Clip - Only Because You Said it Will 1:02 The Current War: Movie Clip - Misfortune Does Not Trump Progress The Current War: Movie Clip - Misfortune Does Not Trump Progress 0:49 The Current War: Movie Clip - Mary Talk The Current War: Movie Clip - Mary Talk 0:51 The Current War: Movie Clip - I Didn't Take Your Ideas The Current War: Movie Clip - I Didn't Take Your Ideas 1:02 The Current War: Movie Clip - I Had Two Dollars The Current War: Movie Clip - I Had Two Dollars 0:40 The Current War: Movie Clip - His Systems Lethal The Current War: Movie Clip - His Systems Lethal 0:44 View more videos
      81% 82% The Founder TRAILER for The Founder 58% 43% Tesla TRAILER for Tesla 62% 42% Radioactive TRAILER for Radioactive 63% 77% Race TRAILER for Race 11% 78% Bigger TRAILER for Bigger Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (108) Critics Reviews
      Wenlei Ma News.com.au Fuelled by impressive performances from a sensational cast, The Current War is a sturdy, well-paced historical drama. The production values - its set design, cinematography, costumes - are particularly winsome. Rated: 3/5 Apr 6, 2020 Full Review Sandra Hall Sydney Morning Herald It's a dizzying menu, aimed at eliminating any hint of fustiness and show that this is a story as modern as the rivalry between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. And I suppose it is. But it's also absorbing enough not to need any artificial means of support. Rated: 4/5 Mar 18, 2020 Full Review Stephen Romei The Australian This is an interesting, well-filmed historical drama about a technological showdown that produced something we now all take for granted, as Edison predicted we would Rated: 3/5 Mar 13, 2020 Full Review M.N. Miller Ready Steady Cut An electric battle of wits with a script that offers only a surface level, uneven treatment of its three subjects. Rated: 3/5 Aug 22, 2022 Full Review Laura Potier Outtake Mag An illuminating tale in need of more direct (narrative) current. Rated: 3/5 Aug 16, 2021 Full Review Kip Mooney College Movie Review In a world of staid biopics ... I'm pleasantly surprised that The Current War is an electric film (pun intended). Rated: B+ Aug 12, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse -- the greatest inventors of the industrial age -- engage in a battle of technology and ideas that will determine whose electrical system will power the new century. Backed by J.P. Morgan, Edison dazzles the world by lighting Manhattan. But Westinghouse, aided by Nikola Tesla, sees fatal flaws in Edison's direct current design. Westinghouse and Tesla bet everything on risky and dangerous alternating current.
      Director
      Alfonso Gomez-Rejon
      Producer
      Benedict Cumberbatch, Adam Ackland, David Glasser, Bob Weinstein, Garrett Basch, Steven Zaillian, Martin Scorsese, Michael Mitnick, Ann Ruark
      Screenwriter
      Michael Mitnick
      Distributor
      101 Studios
      Production Co
      The Weinstein Company, Thunder Road Pictures, Film Rites
      Rating
      PG-13 (Thematic Elements|Some Violent Content)
      Genre
      History, Drama, Biography
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Oct 25, 2019, Wide
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Mar 15, 2020
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $6.0M
      Runtime
      1h 41m