Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Art of Racing in the Rain

PG Released Aug 9, 2019 1 hr. 49 min. Comedy Drama TRAILER for The Art of Racing in the Rain: Trailer 1 List
      45% 120 Reviews Tomatometer 96% 5,000+ Verified Ratings Audience Score Denny Swift is a Formula One race car driver who understands that the techniques needed on the racetrack can also be used to successfully navigate everyday life. Besides his career, Denny has three loves of his life -- his beautiful wife, their young daughter and his best friend, which is a dog that wants to be reincarnated into a human. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Aug 22 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Fandango at Home Prime Video Disney+ Apple TV

Watch The Art of Racing in the Rain with a subscription on Disney+, rent on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Its heartstring-tugging overtures may be difficult for dog lovers to resist, but The Art of Racing in the Rain is sentimental and contrived.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      Katie D It was an interesting perspective to be able to hear the thoughts of a dog and have the story told from his point of view. I've never had a dog, but it does a good job to appeal to all audiences. It was definitely an emotional movie, but not in the way I had expected from the trailer. Would recommend watching at home ondemand/itunes/amazon/etc. with tissues. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/15/21 Full Review Thomas R The Art of Racing in the Rain, for me, was just ok. I really loved the book, so the movie was a bit of a let down. My wife, who never read the book, thought it was a good movie. There were a few too many slow times where not much happened, just kind of dragged on. But, I loved Enzo! Go see the movie for Enzo if nothing else. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 10/17/19 Full Review Patricia P Very tender, sweet story of a family...including the dog, who was so philosophical. I would recommend it highly for any family or individual. Clean and very good acting. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 10/03/19 Full Review Terri Loved the show! It stayed true to the book! Milo did a great job as usual. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 09/30/19 Full Review Robin D Was a great movie and for animal lovers be prepared to cry. Great plot and dog(s) happy/sad ending. Would recommend seeing, bring tissues Rated 4 out of 5 stars 09/29/19 Full Review Sharon Great movie!!! Bring your Kleenex! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 09/21/19 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

88% 97% Dream Horse TRAILER for Dream Horse 88% 31% Hope Springs Eternal TRAILER for Hope Springs Eternal 54% 84% The Resurrection of Gavin Stone TRAILER for The Resurrection of Gavin Stone 50% 82% 102 Not Out TRAILER for 102 Not Out 80% 79% Swing Away TRAILER for Swing Away Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (120) Critics Reviews
      Sara Michelle Fetters MovieFreak.com For all of the talent of its cast and crew this adaptation of Stein's best-seller stalls out on the track long before it has the chance to reach the finish line. Rated: 2/4 Aug 14, 2019 Full Review Christy Lemire FilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles) I feel like this device probably works a lot better on the page... It is so mawkish, smothered in cloying anthropomorphism from start to finish. Aug 12, 2019 Full Review Wendy Ide Observer (UK) It's laughably contrived and shamelessly calculating. Dog's bollocks, but not in a good way. Rated: 1/5 Aug 11, 2019 Full Review M.N. Miller Ready Steady Cut Here is a film made for that lazy Sunday afternoon that makes you appreciate what you have or long for what you don’t. Rated: 3.5/5 Aug 20, 2022 Full Review Lonita Cook KCTV5 News at 9 I was excited to see it... it's kind of all over the place in terms of the plot, there's not a lot of tension or conflict. Sep 29, 2021 Full Review Robin Holabird KUNR (Reno, NV) Though the sugar load jumps high at times, sappiness gets trumped by golden fur and a warm heart. Unless of course, your cynicism levels rank in the Scrooge range. Jul 23, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Denny Swift is a Formula One race car driver who understands that the techniques needed on the racetrack can also be used to successfully navigate everyday life. Besides his career, Denny has three loves of his life -- his beautiful wife, their young daughter and his best friend, which is a dog that wants to be reincarnated into a human.
      Director
      Simon Curtis
      Executive Producer
      Donald J. Lee Jr., Joannie Burstein, James C. France
      Screenwriter
      Mark Bomback
      Distributor
      20th Century Fox
      Production Co
      Original Film
      Rating
      PG (Thematic Material)