Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Stranger Than Paradise

R Released Jul 25, 1984 1 hr. 30 min. Comedy Drama List
      96% 28 Reviews Tomatometer 88% 10,000+ Ratings Audience Score New York City layabout Willie (John Lurie) and his dopey sidekick, Eddie (Richard Edson), get by on TV dinners and beer financed by haphazard card-sharking. Willie gets an unwelcome visit from his Hungarian teen cousin, Eva (Eszter Balint), but, just as he warms to her, she ditches him for her aunt in Cleveland. Impulsively, Willie and Eddie take a road trip to pick up Eva, after which they head out to find fortune and paradise in Florida -- or at least alleviation from their constant boredom. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Stranger Than Paradise

Prime Video Max Apple TV

Watch Stranger Than Paradise with a subscription on Max, rent on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy on Prime Video, Apple TV.

Stranger Than Paradise

What to Know

Critics Consensus

A striking debut for director Jim Jarmusch, Stranger than Paradise is an effortlessly cool exploration of finding meaning in the mundane.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (765) audience reviews
      Talon B One of the worst films I've ever seen. Nothing happens, the ending doesn't make any sense, the characters are disgusting bozos (except the girl). Just super slow and boring. The only reason I watched it is because I absolutely love the soundtrack and I just assumed the film would be just as good but surprisingly it's not. I would recommend just listening to the soundtrack. I'm not sure how much an incredible score ended up on such a garbage film. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/04/24 Full Review sj w quite a good watch, but the story was a bit boring and mundane - but I guess thats the point! dont understand why he flies back at the end, why would he take the plane if he doesnt see his cousin on it? Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 12/02/23 Full Review Vito P Three beautifully crafted acts unfold at a slow, perfect pace, creating a wholly engrossing, anarchic and dreamy narrative. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/14/23 Full Review Joe T Shot in black and white, a very well made movie Rated 5 out of 5 stars 05/23/23 Full Review Logan M One of my favorite movies and a hilarious but subtle comedy that makes everyday activities and possibly boring moments strangely entertaining. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/12/23 Full Review theresa w Poorly made grey film. Some aspects are novel for the time, but it lacks in storytelling and character development. It also presents immigrants in a negative light. Very disappointed. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/20/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

29% 49% Class 63% 60% About Last Night ... 14% 49% The Prince of Pennsylvania 76% 91% Night on Earth 71% 78% The World According to Garp Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (28) Critics Reviews
      Jay Scott Globe and Mail This is a plaintive, intelligent, laconic New York comedy. Dec 7, 2022 Full Review Adam Kempenaar Filmspotting And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack / And you may find yourself in another part of the world / And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile / Same as it ever was, same as it ever was. Rated: 4/5 Dec 3, 2020 Full Review Richard Brody New Yorker A unified vision of populist American aesthetics. Feb 3, 2020 Full Review Keith Garlington Keith & the Movies Throughout “Stranger Than Paradise” I couldn’t help but feel a hip French New Wave vibe in the vein of early Godard, Truffaut, and Chabrol. Rated: 4.5/5 Aug 25, 2022 Full Review Matt Brunson Film Frenzy One of the most important indie achievements of '84. Rated: 3.5/4 Apr 24, 2019 Full Review A.S. Hamrah n+1 Stranger Than Paradise captures what in retrospect turned out to be a last moment of unbranded American reality. Nov 29, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis New York City layabout Willie (John Lurie) and his dopey sidekick, Eddie (Richard Edson), get by on TV dinners and beer financed by haphazard card-sharking. Willie gets an unwelcome visit from his Hungarian teen cousin, Eva (Eszter Balint), but, just as he warms to her, she ditches him for her aunt in Cleveland. Impulsively, Willie and Eddie take a road trip to pick up Eva, after which they head out to find fortune and paradise in Florida -- or at least alleviation from their constant boredom.
      Director
      Jim Jarmusch
      Executive Producer
      Otto Grokenberger
      Screenwriter
      Jim Jarmusch
      Distributor
      Samuel Goldwyn Company, Criterion Collection
      Production Co
      Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen
      Rating
      R