Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Spectacular Now

R Released Aug 2, 2013 1h 35m Comedy Drama List
      91% Tomatometer 172 Reviews 76% Audience Score 25,000+ Ratings An innocent, bookish teenager (Shailene Woodley) begins dating the charming, freewheeling high-school senior (Miles Teller) who awoke on her lawn after a night of heavy partying. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Buy Now

Where to Watch

The Spectacular Now

Fandango at Home Prime Video Max

Watch The Spectacular Now with a subscription on Max, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

The Spectacular Now

What to Know

Critics Consensus

The Spectacular Now is an adroit, sensitive film that avoids typical coming-of-age story trappings.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (172) Critics Reviews
      Noah Berlatsky The Atlantic The movie wasn't smart enough to deal with the interesting protagonists it started with, and so it reverted to trope. Aug 28, 2019 Full Review Jason Bailey Flavorwire There are scenes, moments, and dialogue in this film that ring so true that it all comes rushing back, a flood of memories and emotions and a little bit of pain. Jun 19, 2016 Full Review Jared Eisenstat Film Comment Magazine [Ponsoldt] enjoys playing with our expectations by following conventions, luring us into the sense that we know what's coming, and then swerving just a little off-road for a detour. Nov 4, 2013 Full Review Danielle Solzman Solzy at the Movies The beauty of watching The Spectacular Now is that Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley are just living in the moment, in the now. Rated: 5/5 Dec 27, 2023 Full Review Patrick Hicks Feelin' Film Podcast Nothing about this film is spectacular, and that's what makes it worth watching. It's an honest look at the typical teenager, without the polished dialogue and overly-sexualized relationships seen in other teen-centered films. Rated: 4.5/5 May 15, 2023 Full Review Keith Garlington Keith & the Movies One of the interesting things about “The Spectacular Now” is how it employs several familiar plot points, but it treats each of them with a fresh and prudent sincerity. Rated: 4/5 Aug 25, 2022 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      Nathan R A complete waste of time. I'd rather watch paint dry to be honest. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 01/24/24 Full Review Samuel H Only stumbled across this film because of a list on YouTube but was very pleasantly surprised. It handles the stresses of student life in a realistic way. The relationships also felt very real as well as the drama that comes with them. It's 100% something I recommend watching at least once to enjoy the beauty of it. It of course struggles in some aspects such as for me personally the male lead character feeling unlikeable at times which can derail a film for me personally but this comes from preference. Still, this film is honestly a niche hidden gem and deserves heaps of praise for what the cast and crew delivered to us. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 11/30/23 Full Review Ned A Excruciating. I kept waiting for it to get better. It never did. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 08/21/23 Full Review Audience Member Another one of the finest films of 2013! A24 Films and director James Ponsoldt make a very high-ranking coming-of-age movie My first introduction to Miles Teller and also a continuation of Shailene Woodley’s acting talents Sutter Keely is the most friendly-spirited guy in his neighborhood and in high school He’s about to go to college and writes an essay about who he is He breaks up with his girlfriend, Cassidy and loses his part-time job He then comes across another senior named Aimee who also goes through a few difficulties with growing up As time goes on they get along famously eventually falling in love Sutter though has doubts about himself yet at one point his mom tells him he brings joy to everyone, he’s the happiest person she knows with the biggest heart This manages to avoid all the typical trappings of a story we’re familiar with; instead of crude sex jokes and debauchery the film really let’s the performances of its two leads carry everything I’m very glad too the main character I could relate to so much since he shares a lot of similarities with me Memories, emotions and a little bit of pain are what comes with being on the brink of adulthood Your life very well could be something else if you don’t start making changes, living in the moment isn’t a bad thing but it helps to have ambition, it’s not a bad thing to bring joy to others, there will always be another now tomorrow, keeping your guard up to not get hurt doesn’t always last A very good supporting cast includes a very young Brie Larson, Mary Elizabeth-Winstead, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Kyle Chandler This is a very honest and realistic look at teenagers that actually almost made me cry so that’s a real accomplishment It feels appreciated to have a movie like this with a main character becoming his own person inspite of himself with a charming, likable romantic lead next to him Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 08/03/23 Full Review Adis M One of the most confused movies I've seen this year, is unfinished everywhere, the 18 year old main character was even weirder than a clown and already a half alcoholic, it made little sense and descended into depression. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 07/22/23 Full Review Phuong N I loved it. It's nothing too outstanding, extraordinary, or i gotta say, spectacular, it's just an easy to watch high school movie and gave me lots of comfort plus a good cry. Idk, it felt genuine and realistic. I didn't relate to his situation but i related to his tone of feelings, thats why i felt comfortable and sympathized to Sutter so much. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 07/01/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

65% 44% Unexpected 63% 37% Free Samples 78% 57% Lucky Them 50% 46% The Pretty One 68% 50% Daydream Nation Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis An innocent, bookish teenager (Shailene Woodley) begins dating the charming, freewheeling high-school senior (Miles Teller) who awoke on her lawn after a night of heavy partying.
      Director
      James Ponsoldt
      Producer
      Michelle Krumm, Andrew Lauren, Shawn Levy, Tom McNulty
      Screenwriter
      Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber
      Distributor
      A24
      Production Co
      Andrew Lauren Productions
      Rating
      R (All Involving Teens|Alcohol Use|Language|Some Sexuality)
      Genre
      Comedy, Drama
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Aug 2, 2013, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Aug 9, 2016
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $6.9M
      Runtime
      1h 35m