Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Mary and Max

2009 1 hr. 32 min. Drama Comedy Animation TRAILER for Mary and Max: Trailer 2 List
      95% 66 Reviews Tomatometer 92% 25,000+ Ratings Audience Score A lonely Australian girl (Toni Collette) and an elderly Jewish man (Philip Seymour Hoffman) in New York develop an unlikely friendship through letters. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Mary and Max

Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Mary and Max on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Prime Video, Apple TV.

Mary and Max

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Mary and Max is a lovingly crafted, startlingly inventive piece of animation whose technical craft is equaled by its emotional resonance.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      Logan D A lonely adolescent girl reaches out to a random person in New York and finds Max, a Jewish atheist, and become pen pals. A remarkably human story of love, life, and friendship. I had no idea that was Hoffman but so happy to enjoy one more performance by the late actor. It's a bleak tale populate with the flavor of reality. Very heavy for an animated film. Highly recommended. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/19/24 Full Review Kyle M Stop-motion Claymation are considerably jewel gems with dedicated patience in the painstaking craft, boosting the storyteller's compelling directorial vision as realized magnum opus. This unique caricature-designed dramedy provides generally charming flair over its societal satire with amusing observations balanced with harsh reality and heartened by the well-cast performances, even if mildly accepted whilst discomforted over its occasional bleakness and uncanny weirdness. (B+) Rated 4 out of 5 stars 04/11/24 Full Review Gunter M A genuine work of art! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/21/24 Full Review Kenji T I watched this sick at 1am and it had me in tears by the end. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/17/24 Full Review X O What a complex and sad film. I live in Australia and I totally get how the director writer has shown what Australia is like. Life can be that empty for most people. Especially in Melbourne and Victoria. It's so sad. It's also a tragedy even in the film that Max can be so irate that someone would write a book about him and hope to solve Asperger syndrome. One would think they would be honoured. It's so sad. It's also incredible how much work went into this film. That doing it and stop motion takes so much longer than with actors. Maybe it was cheaper but the cast is international. Maybe they did it more out of love than money. I read it took more than a year just for the stop motion graphics alone. It's an incredible amount of work. But it's so sad. Just so sad. This emptiness of life. For so many people. Asperger's or not. Just so sad. Five stars without a doubt for the work that went into it. But it's just so sad. So meaningless. After all that. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 12/30/23 Full Review Jodie A Maybe my favorite animate movie Rated 5 out of 5 stars 12/13/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

91% 71% Anomalisa TRAILER for Anomalisa 99% 89% My Life as a Zucchini 31% 32% The Oranges 14% 21% The Romantics 69% 50% The Private Lives of Pippa Lee Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (66) Critics Reviews
      Kate Muir Times (UK) This clay animation feels as if it was written by the early Woody Allen. Actually the genius behind it is Adam Elliot, who wrote, designed and directed this eccentric, wryly funny story. Rated: 4/5 Jun 16, 2014 Full Review Mark Fisher Sight & Sound Ultimately, Mary and Max is about correspondence and lack of correspondence, about how our images and fantasies about others fail to match up to what they are like, and about the constitutive gaps and misfirings in any communicational practice. Jun 18, 2012 Full Review Tim Robey Daily Telegraph (UK) Elliot is a talent eccentric enough to make Nick Park look like an office drone, and the serious sadness underpinning his vision only makes the humour work better. Rated: 4/5 Oct 22, 2010 Full Review Brian Eggert Deep Focus Review The ugly duckling characters share thoughts of anxiety, addiction, depression, and feelings of severe displacement within the world. This is dark and very heavy, but very Harold and Maude stuff. Rated: 3.5/4 Aug 30, 2023 Full Review Guillem Martinez Oya Cinematismo A beautiful story of friendship, forgiveness, love, and humanity although the differences. A humanistic story. [Full review in Spanish] Rated: 4/5 Mar 6, 2021 Full Review Daniel Gumble CineVue A film of astonishing beauty, Mary and Max is undoubtedly one of the films of the year. Rated: 5/5 Nov 6, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A lonely Australian girl (Toni Collette) and an elderly Jewish man (Philip Seymour Hoffman) in New York develop an unlikely friendship through letters.
      Director
      Adam Elliot
      Executive Producer
      Iain Canning, Mark Gooder, Paul Hardart
      Screenwriter
      Adam Elliot
      Production Co
      Melodrama Pictures
      Genre
      Drama, Comedy, Animation
      Original Language
      English