Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Close-Up

Released Dec 31, 1999 1 hr. 38 min. Drama Biography List
      88% 17 Reviews Tomatometer 88% 500+ Ratings Audience Score While reading a novel by Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf on the bus, Ali Sabzian strikes up a conversation with a pretty girl, Mahrokh Ahankhah. When she tells him her family admires Makhmalbaf's work, Ali pretends to be the filmmaker to impress her. Becoming friendly with the Ahankhahs, Ali tells them he is preparing a new movie, but when they uncover his true identity, he is arrested for fraud. This film reenacts the true story of the incident, with Ali and the family playing themselves. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Close-Up

Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Close-Up on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Prime Video, Apple TV.

Audience Reviews

View All (182) audience reviews
      Dark H That had to be the most boring, useless waste of film I have ever seen. I had to watch this for a film class and I'll never get that time back. Awful story, amateur acting by non actors. Maybe I'm missing something but this made me want to gouge my eyes out. It made no sense at all. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 10/14/23 Full Review Dani G Of all Kiarostami movies I've seen (8 of them now), this is my least favorite. It's just that it's not a very attractive story. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 08/12/23 Full Review Donald J A seminal film that blurs the line of documentary and narrative features, Kiarostami's masterpiece is something that you won't forget. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 06/30/23 Full Review Brian M Somebody really needs to explain to me why this is considered to be a great film. It's the most boring courtroom drama I've ever seen. There are a couple scenes where I find myself saying "This is still going?" It's about a person who pretends to be a director and someone pretending to be a director could have made a better film. Upon research it received mostly negative reviews when it came out and I see no reason why that should have changed. Just awful. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 02/21/23 Full Review Tim D I am 15 minutes into this and I will not be able to finish it, it's too annoying. This is not a movie for regular people Rated 1 out of 5 stars 12/19/22 Full Review dave s Even by Abbas Kiarostami standards, Close-Up is somewhat of an oddity. When a man who loves the arts impersonates a famous Iranian film director and, through this deception, manages to insert himself into a family who believe the ruse, trouble ensues and he is charged with fraud. The actors in the film are the real-life defendant and the plaintiffs, who are filmed at the actual trial and recreate the events leading up to the actual trial, giving the movie the true feel of a documentary. The fact that it is shot in a grainy stock, especially the courtroom scenes, adds to the authenticity. Is it a great movie? Probably not, but the subject matter is compelling throughout. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Critics Reviews

View All (17) Critics Reviews
      Richard Brody New Yorker In Kiarostami's furiously clear view, religious dogma suppresses the eye's observations through the dictate of the word; his calmly unwavering images, with their wry humor and generous sympathy, have the force of a steadfast resistance. May 8, 2017 Full Review Keith Uhlich Time Out The meanings of Close-Up shift, subtly and profoundly, with every viewing; the only certainty is that its rewards are boundless. Rated: 5/5 Mar 24, 2010 Full Review Gary Dowell Dallas Morning News Successfully blends fact with fiction to produce a work more compelling than any of today's infotainment programs. Rated: B Apr 11, 2002 Full Review Daniel Barnes Dare Daniel The gauzy, overlapping layers of identity and performance that Kiarostami uncovered in Close-Up still tantalize. Rated: 4/5 Aug 3, 2019 Full Review Josh Larsen LarsenOnFilm Does Close-Up reveal the truth? I'd prefer to say it reveals the beauty of distortion. Rated: 4/4 Sep 14, 2012 Full Review Chris Barsanti PopMatters ...not quite close enough. Rated: 5/10 Jul 23, 2010 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis While reading a novel by Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf on the bus, Ali Sabzian strikes up a conversation with a pretty girl, Mahrokh Ahankhah. When she tells him her family admires Makhmalbaf's work, Ali pretends to be the filmmaker to impress her. Becoming friendly with the Ahankhahs, Ali tells them he is preparing a new movie, but when they uncover his true identity, he is arrested for fraud. This film reenacts the true story of the incident, with Ali and the family playing themselves.
      Director
      Abbas Kiarostami
      Screenwriter
      Abbas Kiarostami
      Distributor
      Celluloid Dreams
      Production Co
      The Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children & Young Adults
      Genre
      Drama, Biography
      Original Language
      Persian