Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Court

Released Jul 15, 2015 1 hr. 55 min. Drama List
      98% 62 Reviews Tomatometer 79% 500+ Ratings Audience Score A social activist who uses folk music to spread his message is arrested, accused of inciting a sewage worker's suicide. Lawyers from both sides of the aisle, and the rote ideologies they represent, are scrutinized as the trial plays out. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Court

Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Court on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Prime Video, Apple TV.

Court

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Court takes a penetrating, timely look at issues facing Indian society while serving as an excellent calling card for debuting writer-director Chaitanya Tamhane.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (36) audience reviews
      SAR Interesting to learn about India and its people in every day life and seeing that injustices are everywhere. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 06/14/21 Full Review Vikash T From the start frame to the end, each frame is what a true cinema lover would appreciate. Many courtroom drama masterpieces are there, but what 'Court' offers is absolute gratification to viewers who love realistic cinema. I would say the film is for everyone who wants to experience how Indian cinema is unfolding unique stories with such a brilliant direction! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/21/22 Full Review Audience Member Some of the scenes are way too long. It needs some serious editing. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/03/23 Full Review Audience Member This movie is a sad reality of this country, everything that it shows is real and it is present as it is, also the movie will need your attention inorder for you to understand, you must have a conscience to understand the message of the movie also you must have a knowledge about what is actually going on this country since a very long time, the movie is silently screaming the wrong in our society and also what needs to be done inorder to change the unfortunate reality of many. As a nation we are doing injustice to the depressed section of the society and are punishing who are trying to wake us up. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/06/23 Full Review Audience Member I was walking past the mental hospital the other day, and all the patients were shouting, '13….13….13.' The fence was too high to see over, but I saw a little gap in the planks, so I looked through to see what was going on. Some idiot poked me in the eye with a stick! Then they all started shouting, '14….14….14.' Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/30/23 Full Review Audience Member Inteligente, hermosa y honesta. Court de su joven director Chaitanya Tamhane es una pelicula hipnotica, con escenas que representan el contexto de india, al ver películas de este tipo que nos invitan a ver la realidad de los diferentes sistemas que componen un país, creo que es una de las mejores formas de conocer el mismo, el ver el deficiente sistema judicial y el fanatismo de creencias para mi como mexicano me llega a poner a reflexionar las grandes similitudes. La película a excepción de una toma, todo esta hecho con cámara estática y observar las escenas musicales es simplemente poesía dura y envolvente, en definitiva espero ver muchísimo mas de este director. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/01/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

77% 72% The Attorney 14% 45% Drop Squad 97% 93% Spotlight TRAILER for Spotlight 4% 47% Reach Me 85% 99% Just Mercy TRAILER for Just Mercy Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (62) Critics Reviews
      Nigel Andrews Financial Times The film's semblance of casualness is winning. It seems to make itself up as it goes along. But this fly on this wall has keen eyes, keen hearing, a keen intelligence. Rated: 4/5 Dec 28, 2016 Full Review Tara Brady Irish Times Just when you imagined that the courtroom drama had no particular place left to go, along comes Chaitanya Tamhane's fiendishly clever debut feature. Rated: 5/5 Aug 8, 2016 Full Review Sophie Monks Kaufman Little White Lies Perceptive and powerful. Rated: 4/5 Mar 25, 2016 Full Review Kong Rithdee Bangkok Post [It] speaks to us with range and depth...realistic, moving, humanist portraits of (pre-pandemic) India. May 17, 2021 Full Review Kanishk Devgan Film Companion Chaitanya Tamhane's directorial feature debut (which he wrote too), proved to be a silent, observational, and devastating film. Mar 29, 2021 Full Review Dustin Chang Floating World All the performances are stellar, considering many of them are non-actors. In the heart of it all is Vira Sathida. A real life activist, his rhythmic, infectious, biting songs come to life whenever he performs. I would love to see him perform for hours. Feb 14, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A social activist who uses folk music to spread his message is arrested, accused of inciting a sewage worker's suicide. Lawyers from both sides of the aisle, and the rote ideologies they represent, are scrutinized as the trial plays out.
      Director
      Chaitanya Tamhane
      Executive Producer
      B.S. Narayanaswamy
      Screenwriter
      Chaitanya Tamhane
      Distributor
      Zeitgeist Films
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language
      Marathi