Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Megan Leavey

PG-13 Released Jun 9, 2017 1 hr. 56 min. War Biography Drama TRAILER for Megan Leavey: Trailer 1 List
      86% 105 Reviews Tomatometer 82% 10,000+ Ratings Audience Score The true life story of Megan Leavey, a young Marine corporal whose unique discipline and bond with a military combat dog saved many lives during her deployment in Iraq. Assigned to clean up the K-9 unit after a disciplinary hearing, Leavey starts to identify with Rex, a particularly aggressive dog that she trains. Over the course of their service, Megan and Rex complete more than 100 missions until an improvised explosive device injures both, putting their fates in jeopardy. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Apr 02 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Megan Leavey

Fandango at Home Netflix Prime Video Apple TV

Watch Megan Leavey with a subscription on Netflix, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

Megan Leavey

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Megan Leavey honors its real-life subjects with a sensitive, uplifting drama whose honest emotion more than makes up for its mild approach to the story.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (300) audience reviews
      Michael A Brilliant, touching tribute to the Marines K9 unit. Kate Mara plays Megan in this touching movie. She nailed it. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/29/24 Full Review Jonathan K On my first watch of the movie, I think the story is kind of cliche to other dog/military movies. The story pacing went too fast like it had 1.5× story speed. Arguably, the worst thing in the movie is the cinematography. Throughout the entire movie, there was a constant camera shake with every single shot and movement. I don't think the camera shake had a purpose. It's like they used a handhold camera in the entire movie. Have they not heard about a tripod? Also. I realized Draco Malfoy was in the movie as the Sergeant. I didn't particularly care about any of the character due to a lack of a consistent or in fact any character development. The acting is subpar, and the dialogue is flatter than a flat earther's view on the earth. That is my honest review. The only good quality of the movie is that it has the ability to pull on a person's heartstrings and has a touching story. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 04/30/24 Full Review D S Kate Mara is great in this movie not to mention she looks 10 years younger than her actual age. Good true story movie! The bond between owner and dog is like no other. If you two are on the same wavelength it's like you know exactly what the other is thinking. Rex and Megan obviously had that connection and he saved her life on and off the battlefield. Glad they let her take him home to retire. True heroes. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/27/24 Full Review Horror fan 4 I love movies based on true stories. Most of all movies involving dog's. I laughed and cried but most of all I really loved this story. Megan Leavey you and Rex are a true heroes and Thank you for your service. RIP Rex!!! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/19/24 Full Review Kyle J As a dog person I loved this story, and as a man (albeit old) I could not help being charmed by how cute Kate Mara looked in her marine uniform. The directing/acting was top notch. The story was great, although I could have lived without her cuddling with her boy friend. Am I just jealous, or was this thrown in to establish her orientation. Worth watching. Go for it! Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/19/24 Full Review Traildude I had a hard time taking a movie seriously that made a huge mistake almost tight at the start: when asked a question by an instructor, the response is, "Yes, sergeant!", it is NOT "Aye, aye, sir!" That response is to an order from an officer, not a question from a sergeant! If you're going to base a movie on a true story, at least have the decency and respect to get obvious details right. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 04/17/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

74% 86% Indivisible TRAILER for Indivisible 20% 82% I'm Not Ashamed TRAILER for I'm Not Ashamed 52% 70% Unbroken 63% 97% Brian Banks TRAILER for Brian Banks 85% 84% Sully TRAILER for Sully Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (105) Critics Reviews
      Stephanie Abraham Bitch Media The film's gendered Orientalist narrative uses Iraq, its people and the US-led war there as the backdrop for a story about a white woman soldier finding herself and learning to love through her combat canine. Feb 18, 2021 Full Review Chris Stuckmann ChrisStuckmann.com A heartfelt and touching film featuring one of Kate Mara's best performances. Rated: B+ Jul 7, 2017 Full Review Peter Travers Rolling Stone Kate Mara is raw and riveting in the title role, a marine who ends up in combat in Iraq with a bomb-sniffing German shepherd. It's a true story that earns your tears. Rated: 3/4 Jun 19, 2017 Full Review Michael Clark Epoch Times The film teaches, educates, enlightens, and entertains, and does so in a straightforward manner while imparting lessons on personal responsibility and sacrifice. Work hard, stay focused, believe in a noble cause and it's likely you will succeed. Rated: 4.5 Apr 15, 2022 Full Review Jeff Mitchell Art House Film Wire Mara splits her time between nail-biting sequences and Megan's emotional growth through her relationship with Rex, a four-legged soldier. An inspiring movie based on two real-life U.S. Marines. Bring tissues. Rated: 3/4 Feb 19, 2022 Full Review Hosea Rupprecht Pauline Center for Media Studies What I appreciated about Megan's story was how loving Rex enabled her to get through her suffering. Aug 25, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis The true life story of Megan Leavey, a young Marine corporal whose unique discipline and bond with a military combat dog saved many lives during her deployment in Iraq. Assigned to clean up the K-9 unit after a disciplinary hearing, Leavey starts to identify with Rex, a particularly aggressive dog that she trains. Over the course of their service, Megan and Rex complete more than 100 missions until an improvised explosive device injures both, putting their fates in jeopardy.
      Director
      Gabriela Cowperthwaite
      Executive Producer
      Robert Huberman, Scott Holroyd, Nicole Stojkovich, Jose Luis Escolar
      Screenwriter
      Pamela Gray, Annie Mumolo, Tim Lovestedt
      Distributor
      Bleecker Street Media
      Production Co
      Liddell Entertainment
      Rating
      PG-13 (Suggestive Material|Language|Thematic Elements|War Violence)
      Genre
      War, Biography, Drama
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Jun 9, 2017, Wide
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Jul 10, 2017
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $13.4M
      Most Popular at Home Now