Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Ohayô

Released May 12, 1959 1h 37m Kids & Family Comedy Drama List
      88% Tomatometer 17 Reviews 87% Audience Score 2,500+ Ratings Two boys in 1950s Japan vow to remain completely silent until their parents buy them a television set. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Buy Now

Where to Watch

Ohayô

Fandango at Home Prime Video Max

Watch Ohayô with a subscription on Max, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Critics Reviews

View All (17) Critics Reviews
      Richard Brody New Yorker [Ozu's] sense of generational conflict in a society at risk from within is here at its sharpest and most anarchic. Jul 1, 2013 Full Review Jonathan Rosenbaum Chicago Reader Perhaps the most delightful of Yasujiro Ozu's late comedies. May 20, 2011 Full Review Tom Milne Time Out A brimming sense of life, in other words, gradually transforms the small talk into a richly devious portrait of humanity being human. Jan 26, 2006 Full Review Nicholas Bell IONCINEMA.com Arguably Ozu's most effervescent film, Good Morning is a pleasantly amusing slice of life from the master. Rated: 4/5 Sep 9, 2020 Full Review Eric Melin Scene-Stealers.com Good Morning is such a fantastic surprise, and worthy of discussion among any of Ozu's better known dramatic works. Rated: 3/4 Jun 9, 2017 Full Review TV Guide As unpromising as all this may sound, Good Morning is another Ozu gem, a covertly sophisticated ensemble piece scripted with the intricacy and precision of a well-constructed Restoration comedy of manners. Rated: 4/4 May 20, 2011 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (180) audience reviews
      Fahim K I watched this film by watching the criterion closet video of Paul Dano, where he gave a shout-out to this Ozu film. It was a blind check for me. But the movie really blew me away based on it's realism in social lives of people around us how they over-react according to the situation just like nosy neighbors also the most greatest part about the film was the small kid 'Isamu' he stole the show. The way he speaks English anybody could have an 'awww' moment. The generational conflict shown in this film is the main plot point of the film. Where for us Television is a medium of knowledge and everything but for elders back that time it was a tool of spoiling kids minds. A great film to recommend everyone. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 05/12/24 Full Review Dave S Probably one of the most disappointing films in Yasujiro Ozu's oeuvre, Good Morning is the story of two young boys who decide to adopt a vow of silence until their parents buy them a television. While it is immediately identifiable as an Ozu movie based on the stationary camera and the perfectly framed and blocked shots, that's where the similarities end when compared to his classics. As likable as the kids may be, their farting, mugging for the camera, and the general disrespect shown for the parents grows thin very quickly. The whole vibe, including the jaunty score, seems more appropriate for an episode of Leave it to Beaver, making the fact that it comes from a cinematic legend more than a little disconcerting. And then there's the ending, a classic case of really bad parenting. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 12/06/23 Full Review william d The synopsis sells the movie short. This isn't just about a couple of kids who want a TV, this is a true reflection of suburban life, both accurate and humorous. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Wasn't for me. I found it to be too cutesy, crude, and monotonous in the settings of the homes literally connected. After about the 17th fart 'joke' and the 5th crapped pants one, I was done with this one. There are some nice scenes at times. I liked this kids better than the women characters (esp. the woman with rotten teeth- yeesh). A scene with two older men is a nice bit of filmmaking. The one is a father in the movie, the other a recently retired pensioner who is struggling to make it without a steady job and the measly pension the government pays him after his 30 years of servitude. I'm still struggling to find a Japanese director I really like outside of Kurosawa. Still more into Chinese and Korean directors as far as Southeast Asian filmmakers go. 2.4 stars Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 01/20/23 Full Review Audience Member The strongest moments in "Ohayo" exude a quietly nostalgic charm, reminiscent to no small extent of the works of Jacques Tati. It is a comedy, yet it wins us over with the kind of unobtrusive sentimentality and subdued wisdom inherent in virtually all of Yasujiro Ozu's great works. It is a generally lighthearted affair which touches the heart and makes us smile inside. Its affection for its topic is ever enticing, and there is a sense that every moment has been invested with warmth and positive regard. "Ohayo's" unusual fixation on fart humor comprises the least desirable aspect of the film; in truth, several sequences of flatulent humor intended to evoke big laughs come across as odd and misplaced rather than outright funny. One appreciates Ozu's efforts at levity while recognizing that even effectively portrayed scatalogical humor belongs in the works of lesser filmmakers. Such regrets notwithstanding, "Ohayo" is so strong on charm and general pleasantness that I find myself meditating on the promising likelihood that it will continue to grow on me, idiosyncracies and all. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/14/23 Full Review Audience Member De un ingenio y estética infantiles (en el mejor sentido). Una película sobre las ridículas y necesarias costumbres y conflictos de los adultos y la rebelión de los niños. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/11/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

67% 69% The Courtship of Eddie's Father 86% 66% Cheaper by the Dozen 90% 75% The Parent Trap 80% 73% A King in New York 65% 89% The Sandlot TRAILER for The Sandlot Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis Two boys in 1950s Japan vow to remain completely silent until their parents buy them a television set.
      Director
      Yasujirô Ozu
      Producer
      Shizuo Yamanouchi
      Screenwriter
      Yasujirô Ozu, Kôgo Noda
      Production Co
      Shôchiku Eiga
      Genre
      Kids & Family, Comedy, Drama
      Original Language
      Japanese