Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Polka King

2017 1 hr. 35 min. Biography Comedy Drama Music TRAILER for The Polka King: Trailer 1 List
      67% 36 Reviews Tomatometer 50% 250+ Ratings Audience Score The rise and fall of Pennsylvania polka sensation Jan Lewan, who ultimately fleeced millions from investors through his polka-related activities. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

The Polka King

Netflix

Watch The Polka King with a subscription on Netflix.

The Polka King

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Despite moments of hilarity and a talented ensemble, discordant direction and a sloppy script keep The Polka King from truly singing.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (76) audience reviews
      Levi It blows my mind that this is scored 27% higher than Nacho Libre, when I was bored to tears watching this weird movie. I did not laugh a single time, and it did not hook me at all. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 04/04/24 Full Review Catherine A Amazing polka ponzi scheme based on a true story. Jack Black was incredible in this role, singing many of the songs himself and charming everyone — including us. We absolutely loved this movie. Stellar supporting performances by Jenny Slate and Jason Schwartzman. The zany montage scene of Marla preparing for the Mrs. Pennsylvania pageant was classic. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 09/18/23 Full Review Gareth v A funny movie who's greatest strength comes from the performance it's cast. Jack Black brings heart and humour to the lead role in arguably his best performance Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 06/22/23 Full Review David C That this exists and is based on a true story is something special. That it's JB at the helm, and that it is dryly humoured, make it more so. It's odd, it's not perfect, but it's enjoyable! Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/06/23 Full Review Audience Member Couldn't love it more. Almost like a satire on American culture/exceptionalism and the American dream. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/25/23 Full Review Audience Member Since I'm from Wilkes-Barre Scranton, I remember this being in the newspapers on a daily basis. Jack Black is fantastic as Jan and seems to have mastered his incomprehensible Polish accent. Obviously it was a Ponzi scheme but no one mentions it too much about the fact that the people who invested in it we're just as greedy as Jan thinking they were going to get 12% on their money when interest rates were around 3% Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/05/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

88% 68% Florence Foster Jenkins TRAILER for Florence Foster Jenkins 100% % The Mojo Manifesto: The Life and Times of Mojo Nixon 90% 88% I, Tonya TRAILER for I, Tonya 18% 54% All Eyez on Me TRAILER for All Eyez on Me 95% 67% Blaze TRAILER for Blaze Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (36) Critics Reviews
      Tara Brady Irish Times There's a touch of School of Rock with an Oom-Pah-Pah beat about this likeable, if lightweight comedy. Rated: 3/5 Jan 25, 2018 Full Review Ben Sachs Chicago Reader The Polka King is warm and sympathetic, avoiding easy jokes in favor of humane, character-driven humor. Jan 25, 2018 Full Review Radheyan Simonpillai NOW Toronto With a clipped and modestly entertaining 90-minute run time, The Polka King that relishes in Lewan's theatrics but rarely pauses to interrogate what's behind his facade. Rated: 2/5 Jan 24, 2018 Full Review Roger Moore Movie Nation Its Blacks movie, and his polished stage-mugging is used to great effect, just as his general likability will have you rooting for this not-quite-victimless-crime and the open-hearted, if devious, criminal behind it. Rated: 2.5/4 Apr 29, 2022 Full Review Mikel Zorrilla Espinof It is a pleasant entertainment in which the good work of its actors stands out. [Full Review in Spanish] Aug 1, 2019 Full Review Leigh Paatsch Herald Sun (Australia) Jack Black excels in this completely bonkers true story of Jan Lewan, an American polka music legend. Rated: 3.5/5 Dec 6, 2018 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis The rise and fall of Pennsylvania polka sensation Jan Lewan, who ultimately fleeced millions from investors through his polka-related activities.
      Director
      Maya Forbes, Wallace Wolodarsky
      Executive Producer
      Erika Hampson, Chris Mangano, Ben Stiller
      Screenwriter
      Maya Forbes, Wallace Wolodarsky
      Production Co
      Red Hour Films, Permut Presentations, Electric Dynamite
      Genre
      Biography, Comedy, Drama, Music
      Original Language
      English