Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

That Man From Rio

Released Jun 8, 1964 1h 54m Comedy Drama List
      86% Tomatometer 14 Reviews 79% Audience Score 500+ Ratings French military man Adrien Dufourquet (Jean-Paul Belmondo) gets an eight-day furlough to visit his fiancée, Agnes (Françoise Dorléac). But when he arrives in Paris, he learns that her late father's partner, museum curator Professor Catalan (Jean Servais), has just been kidnapped by a group of Amazon tribesmen who have also stolen a priceless statue from the museum. Adrien and Agnes pursue the kidnappers to Brazil, where they learn that the statue is the key to a hidden Amazon treasure. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

That Man From Rio

Prime Video

Rent That Man From Rio on Prime Video, or buy it on Prime Video.

Critics Reviews

View All (14) Critics Reviews
      J.H. Fenwick Sight & Sound A loving pastiche of every chase film one can remember. Mar 31, 2020 Full Review Michael Phillips Chicago Tribune It's fun, in an imperialist, colonialist, patronizing, exotic-marginalized-foreigners way. Rated: 3/4 Nov 27, 2014 Full Review Matt Zoller Seitz RogerEbert.com We don't think of Belmondo as an action star per se, but that's what he is here, smirking like Steve McQueen and managing to keep a cigarette clamped between his lips even when he's navigating hairpin turns on a motorbike. Rated: 3.5/4 Aug 26, 2014 Full Review Judith Crist New York Herald Tribune The chase goes on and on, the joke is prolonged beyond its juiciest and That Man from Rio passes its peak of fun not too long after the first of its two hours. Aug 15, 2022 Full Review Nicholas Bell IONCINEMA.com Surprisingly, the film works quite well on its own terms, starring the bemused New Wave star Belmondo, and it's interesting to note how Spielberg quite heavily plundered several of de Broca's set pieces for eventual re-use. Rated: 3.5/5 Oct 28, 2020 Full Review Dwight MacDonald Esquire Magazine A witty, fast-moving spoof of the international crime melodrama. Aug 13, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (29) audience reviews
      Jithin K An entertaining adventure comedy for the first hour and a dragging spoof for the second hour. It has a crazy sense of humour and a filmmaking style that wants so much to happen onscreen, although it doesn't care about having good writing. Cinematography must be one of the best aspects of this movie that does so many clever things which help us get involved in the action more and forget about the flaws. I've only seen a few French films from the 60s and from what I read this isn't part of the French New Wave. So, are all the French filmmakers of the 60s perverted and misogynistic with a twisted sense of humour? Jean-Paul Belmondo runs a lot in this movie, enough to cover all the running Tom Cruise does in all the Mission Impossible films. That got to be one of the saving graces of this movie though. Even though I say a lot of negatives, I can't deny a lot of the technical feats this movie pulled. And that ending, deconstructing treasure hunt movies that many years ago, makes it a pretty good movie despite all of its sometimes frustrating flaws. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 06/09/23 Full Review Audience Member Essentially an everyman-who-is-as-good-as-James-Bond caper as Belmondo shows a remarkable versatility at doing all of his stunts and superb playboy chemistry with Dorleac who shows great playfulness and humor despite the damsel in distress nature of the role Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 01/30/23 Full Review Audience Member I love this movie with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Françoise Dorleac (the sister of Catherine Deneuve). Humor and action. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/25/23 Full Review Audience Member Like Jame Bond meets Mister Bean in a good way. Shallow and very silly but also very fun. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 02/19/23 Full Review Audience Member Relatively funny movie with some great moments, but still not quite making it. I especially liked the very last minutes (trying to tell this without spoiling anything) when the couple are running from explosions, the cause of them and that family by the roadside. I think that was by far the best part of the movie and had stood time really well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the later American movie Romancing the Stone (1984) had got its inspiration from this movie. They had so many similarities between. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 02/07/23 Full Review s r A bit far fetched, but a fun action comedy. A bit too long. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

97% 89% Stolen Kisses 91% 88% The Easy Life 91% 84% Lolita 0% 44% The V.I.P.s 92% 86% Lilies of the Field Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis French military man Adrien Dufourquet (Jean-Paul Belmondo) gets an eight-day furlough to visit his fiancée, Agnes (Françoise Dorléac). But when he arrives in Paris, he learns that her late father's partner, museum curator Professor Catalan (Jean Servais), has just been kidnapped by a group of Amazon tribesmen who have also stolen a priceless statue from the museum. Adrien and Agnes pursue the kidnappers to Brazil, where they learn that the statue is the key to a hidden Amazon treasure.
      Director
      Philippe de Broca
      Screenwriter
      Daniel Boulanger, Philippe de Broca, Ariane Mnouchkine, Jean-Paul Rappeneau
      Distributor
      Lopert Pictures Corp., United Artists
      Production Co
      Dear Film Produzione, Les Productions Artistes Associés, Les Films Ariane
      Genre
      Comedy, Drama
      Original Language
      French (France)
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Jun 8, 1964, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Feb 18, 2016