Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Four Daughters

Released Oct 27, 2023 1h 47m Documentary Drama TRAILER for Four Daughters: Trailer 1 List Four Daughters: Trailer 1 Four Daughters: Trailer 1 2:08 View more videos
      96% Tomatometer 79 Reviews 86% Audience Score 50+ Ratings This riveting exploration of rebellion, memory, and sisterhood reconstructs the story of Olfa Hamrouni and her four daughters, unpacking a complex family history through intimate interviews and performance to examine how the Tunisian woman's two eldest were radicalized by Islamic extremists. Casting professional actresses as the missing daughters, along with acclaimed Egyptian-Tunisian actress Hend Sabri as Olfa, award-winning director Kaouther Ben Hania (The Man Who Sold His Skin) restages pivotal moments in the family's life. These scenes are interwoven with confessions and reflections from Olfa and her younger daughters, offering the women agency to tell their own story and capturing moments of joy, loss, violence, and heartache. Winner of four prizes including L'Oeil d'Or (Best Documentary) when it screened in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, Four Daughters is a compelling portrait of five women and a unique and ambitious work of nonfiction cinema that explores the nature of memory, the weight of inherited trauma, and the ties that bind mothers and daughters. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Buy Now

Where to Watch

Four Daughters

Fandango at Home Prime Video Netflix

Watch Four Daughters with a subscription on Netflix, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Four Daughters

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Four Daughters' unique approach to documenting real-life horror is a formal gamble that only underscores the bravery and resilience of its subjects.

Read Critics Reviews

Critics Reviews

View All (79) Critics Reviews
      Amy Nicholson Washington Post We see the power in tying together the fake and the real — the moment when method acting turns into method remembering. Rated: 4/4 Mar 14, 2024 Full Review Mark Kermode Kermode and Mayo's Take (YouTube) It's a kind of heartbreaking story of families being torn apart by hard-line religious dogma. Mar 6, 2024 Full Review Kevin Maher Times (UK) Admittedly during rehearsals some deeper biographical insights are gleaned, but they come at a cost to the film’s narrative and intellectual clarity. Rated: 3/5 Mar 1, 2024 Full Review Sarah Vincent Sarah G Vincent Views As Rahma and Ghofrane look for ways to rebel and embrace a morbid fundamentalism, Ben Hania’s film gradually transforms into a horror film, specifically demonic possession, but nothing supernatural is afoot. The only evil is a cycle of abuse Mar 24, 2024 Full Review Jane Freebury Jane Freebury A docudrama with a lovely way of blending real-life participants with actors, but its story of two teenage girls who escaped a disturbing and abusive homelife with their mother, is less successful in offering broader insight into why women joined IS Rated: 3/5 Mar 17, 2024 Full Review Hope Madden The Screening Room Podcast A compelling, touching story of memory and generational trauma, it’s a heartbreaking roadmap to radicalization marked with a family’s despair. Rated: 4/5 Mar 15, 2024 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (15) audience reviews
      FRANCISCA S i thought it was boring and long and dreary- saw other Middle Eastern movies at the Palm Springs International Film Festival where it was also playing and found them all - Inshallah, a boy Bye bye Tiberias , Memories(?) all much more interesting Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/06/24 Full Review John M Fascinating story that you have unlikely seen before. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/23/24 Full Review Vitoria F Uma história para mim muito surpreendente. Eu jamais imaginaria que esse tipo de coisa estivesse acontecendo. Adolescentes criadas com hábitos ocidentais rebelando-se e escolhendo uma vida ultraconservadora que as leva a crimes terríveis... Depois fui pesquisar e descobri que o aliciamento está ocorrendo no mundo inteiro. Esse documentário é um importante alerta para famílias de adolescentes. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/07/24 Full Review Jonathan K Odd setup here with the mix of actors and the actual family, blending live interviews and reenactments. I'm not sure it works. It's a little meta, and on the plus side, in some ways it might actually help demonstrate some of the lived pain of the girls. There are some highly emotional scenes right from the get-go, and I definitely wasn't immune to sympathizing with what this family has gone through. But, was it just me or is this movie extraordinarily incriminating of the mom? She is pretty hard to like and seems easy to blame for contributing to her daughters' attraction to extremism, but regardless, it's not hard to connect with her pain and loss and regret. And maybe I'd connect even more with it all and have more understanding if I was a mother or a daughter. There definitely could be a big blind spot here for me in that regard. The mother-daughter dynamic happening in the midst of a lot of other poignant themes like abuse, religion, and conservatism. In the end, I thought there would be a bigger payoff, some bigger moments to finalize the story. And I think the material was there, but tone-wise it sort of builds to a plateau. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/12/24 Full Review Megan e Really impressive, impactful documentary! Using actors for the two missing sisters and subbing in actors for additional scenes, the documentary allows Olfa and her daughters to explain their story through words and scenes. Worth watching! 4 stars Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/07/24 Full Review Monique Renee M I only watched this movie because it was nominated for an Academy Award. The story was unbelievable, I saw a mother Olfa a bully as who someone wanted her two youngest daughters to actresses. The two older girls just wanted freedom from strict and abusive mother. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 03/05/24 Full Review Read all reviews
      Four Daughters

My Rating

Read More Read Less POST RATING WRITE A REVIEW EDIT REVIEW

Cast & Crew

100% % Seven Winters in Tehran 100% % Rojek TRAILER for Rojek 100% % Sabaya 100% % The Return: Life After ISIS 93% 100% Nasrin Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis This riveting exploration of rebellion, memory, and sisterhood reconstructs the story of Olfa Hamrouni and her four daughters, unpacking a complex family history through intimate interviews and performance to examine how the Tunisian woman's two eldest were radicalized by Islamic extremists. Casting professional actresses as the missing daughters, along with acclaimed Egyptian-Tunisian actress Hend Sabri as Olfa, award-winning director Kaouther Ben Hania (The Man Who Sold His Skin) restages pivotal moments in the family's life. These scenes are interwoven with confessions and reflections from Olfa and her younger daughters, offering the women agency to tell their own story and capturing moments of joy, loss, violence, and heartache. Winner of four prizes including L'Oeil d'Or (Best Documentary) when it screened in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, Four Daughters is a compelling portrait of five women and a unique and ambitious work of nonfiction cinema that explores the nature of memory, the weight of inherited trauma, and the ties that bind mothers and daughters.
      Director
      Kaouther Ben Hania
      Producer
      Nadim Cheikhrouha, Habib Attia, Thanassis Karathanos, Martin Hampel
      Screenwriter
      Kaouther Ben Hania
      Distributor
      Kino Lorber
      Production Co
      Red Sea Film Festival Foundation, Cinétéléfilms, Twenty Twenty Vision Filmproduktion, Tanit Films, ZDF/Arte, Jour2Fête
      Genre
      Documentary, Drama
      Original Language
      Arabic
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Oct 27, 2023, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Dec 19, 2023
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $135.7K
      Runtime
      1h 47m