Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Swimming Pool

PG Now Playing 2h 0m Mystery & Thriller Drama List
      95% Tomatometer 19 Reviews 81% Audience Score 500+ Ratings When a journalist's (Romy Schneider) boyfriend (Alain Delon) allows her former lover (Maurice Ronet) to drown, the couple must answer questions from an inspector. Read More Read Less Now in Theaters Now Playing Buy Tickets

Where to Watch

The Swimming Pool

In Theaters Fandango at Home Prime Video Max

Watch The Swimming Pool with a subscription on Max, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Critics Reviews

View All (19) Critics Reviews
      Richard Brody New Yorker [A] dry and flimsy mediocrity... Aug 24, 2021 Full Review Melissa Anderson 4Columns Sunstroked and sex-soaked, Jacques Deray's French Riviera-set tale of high-stakes hedonism, originally released in 1969, offers many sensuous pleasures. May 21, 2021 Full Review Robert Abele Los Angeles Times It's two hours of beautiful people in tantalizing states of undress and unease that might just have you practicing your most chic mysterious chaise longue poses ahead of your next swim party. May 20, 2021 Full Review Diane Carson KDHX (St. Louis) Relying on minimal dialogue, maximum use of close-ups and reaction shots, this pressure cooker explodes with astonishing developments. Aug 30, 2021 Full Review Matt Brunson Film Frenzy A drama that seduces with its setting, its languorous pace, and its sexy star teaming of former real-life lovers Delon and Schneider. Rated: 3/4 Aug 13, 2021 Full Review Ian Thomas Malone ianthomasmalone.com Hedonism tickles the mind, extreme wealth and lust eliciting naturally intense emotions. La Piscine understands that better than most. Aug 11, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (63) audience reviews
      Audience Member The most French movie I've ever seen. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 01/25/23 Full Review Audience Member Great psychosexual drama where very beautiful people do very bad things. Reflects on jealousy, desire, and possession. Marked by great, purposeful dialogue wherein characters say so much simply by saying so little. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/15/23 Full Review Audience Member Simple story well told. Looks great! Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/27/23 Full Review Kensi B Not a lot happens here but it's just really fun to watch two such gorgeous leads either half-naked or with incredibly stylish clothes on. Sometimes the acting is so "French" (lots of long lingering looks for no reason, bizarrely cryptic pronouncements, etc) it borders on comical, and I think I did start laughing at a couple of points. But Alain Delon and Romy Schneider are just so glamorous and nice to look at that the film kept my attention. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 08/29/21 Full Review Joe C Really, RT? 100%? It's a beautiful movie, no doubt, shot on location in St. Tropez. It's absolutely saturated with Frenchness: the beauty and fashion of the stars, male and female; the carefree lives and dialogue; the food and abundant drink; the barely restrained sexuality. What's wrong is the story. It's billed as a crime drama but the crime is barely treated. The detective tiptoes to the edge of evidence and accusations, but there's no revelation, no cliffhanger, only implied drama. The tension between characters as the crime becomes evident is not what you'd expect. The role of the younger female is never made clear. I'm seeing this as a 50 year old film and perhaps this was spectacularly forward in the day, like the premiere of Carnal Knowledge. I understand enough French that I'm satisfied it isn't lost in the subtitles. Watch it for a period piece, a showcase for the late Romy Schneider and the young inspiration for five+ figure Hermes bags. It's just not great French cinema. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 08/24/21 Full Review Audience Member A perfect film. The acting, the reactions, the look in the eyes, these were all simply impeccable. There is such great depth to Jacques Deray's film, a depth that I did not expect at all. Alain Delon shines before the camera with his deceptive innocence and boyish charm which begin to unravel some time into the movie. Penelope is the ultimate observer, and Marianne mesmerizes with her alluring, yet kind and compassionate air. All the characters are intricately complex, and the suspense and tension are real. Five out of five. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/10/23 Full Review Read all reviews
      The Swimming Pool

My Rating

Read More Read Less POST RATING WRITE A REVIEW EDIT REVIEW

Cast & Crew

67% 64% The Odessa File 92% 83% Picnic at Hanging Rock 88% 81% The China Syndrome 71% 59% Agatha 91% 88% The Day of the Jackal Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis When a journalist's (Romy Schneider) boyfriend (Alain Delon) allows her former lover (Maurice Ronet) to drown, the couple must answer questions from an inspector.
      Director
      Jacques Deray
      Screenwriter
      Jean-Claude Carrière, Jacques Deray, Jacques Deray
      Production Co
      Société Nouvelle de Cinématographie (SNC), Tritone Cinematografica
      Rating
      PG
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller, Drama
      Original Language
      French (France)