Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Eternal Daughter

PG-13 Released Dec 2, 2022 1 hr. 36 min. Mystery & Thriller Drama TRAILER for The Eternal Daughter: Trailer 1 List
      95% 136 Reviews Tomatometer 44% 100+ Ratings Audience Score An artist and her elderly mother confront long-buried secrets when they return to a former family home, now a hotel haunted by its mysterious past. Featuring a towering, deeply moving performance by Tilda Swinton, acclaimed filmmaker Joanna Hogg's beguiling latest film is a brilliant and captivating exploration of parental relationships and the things we leave behind. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Mar 12 Buy Now

Where to Watch

The Eternal Daughter

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent The Eternal Daughter on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

The Eternal Daughter

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Tilda Swinton² is haunting in the gothic ghost story The Eternal Daughter, an ode to familial female ties that leaves much to unravel after the fog lifts.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (40) audience reviews
      w donald s Superb acting from all three actors Rated 4 out of 5 stars 12/08/22 Full Review CT 8 The only thing worse than Tilda Swinton doing nothing for 96 minutes is two Tilda Swinton's doing nothing for 96 minutes. The movie is beyond boring, I'm guessing because literally nothing happens. I can't even tell you what the point of the movie is because I don't have a clue. Nor do I care at this point. Rated 1 out of 5 stars 02/17/24 Full Review Paris R This movie is otherworldly and intently focused on psychological realities. Tilda Swinton's portrayal of the Mum and Daughter was masterful, showing a very different aspect of her talent. The movie is deeply moving and looks at complex and complicated human emotional and psychological needs, wringing the viewers' hearts with the sorrow and loss the Daughter was experiencing during her stay at her Mum's family home. The ending is good and optimistic, as the fog is lifted, hinting at a resolved state of her mind when she checks out. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/12/24 Full Review Anna K The movie has beautiful cinematography, so those who appreciate camera work and perfection of each and every frame will definitely enjoy it. There is not much happening, the movie is full of very slow scenes, which I personally did like, since it allowed to appreciate the visual beauty of the film, but my bf almost died of boredom. The only plot twist was predictable, but it's not a kind of a movie where you need a plot twist, instead we observe the inner feelings of the main character, and it's very moving. To sum up, I don't recommend this movie to those who are easily bored if there is a lack of action or story line development, but otherwise it's a beautiful piece. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 01/02/24 Full Review nilufer e Oh man, it didn't pass the time.. Time passed with me expecting something to happen however nothing does. It was such a boring movie even with the good acting. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 12/02/23 Full Review Audience Member Stylistically I liked the idea of this movie, it reminded of an adaption of an MR James film from the 70s. Unfortunately the story and dialogue was one dimensional, for me it very much lacked character and story development as the film progressed. t dragged a lot in the second half of the film, with several repetitive scenes left unexplained and seeming quite pointless. Ok as a winter movie to watch at home to pass the time but as a film to watch in the cinema I was left quite underwhelmed. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 01/15/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

The Eternal Daughter

The Eternal Daughter: Movie Clip - Are We The Only People Staying Here? The Eternal Daughter: Movie Clip - Are We The Only People Staying Here? 0:40 View more videos
      58% 86% On Fire TRAILER for On Fire 35% 96% Where the Crawdads Sing TRAILER for Where the Crawdads Sing 34% 68% The Intruder TRAILER for The Intruder 89% 95% Dark Waters TRAILER for Dark Waters 27% 31% Breaking In TRAILER for Breaking In Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (136) Critics Reviews
      Steph Green Empire Magazine A metafictional work elevated into something new: deeply felt and true as a story about parental enigma, spectral remembrance and ingrained British repression. Rated: 4/5 Mar 18, 2024 Full Review Christina Newland Monocle [Swinton] is masterful. Dec 2, 2023 Full Review Clarisse Loughrey Monocle I was really moved. Dec 2, 2023 Full Review Victoria Luxford City AM The twist may seem inevitable by the time it comes around, but The Eternal Daughter is a skillfully made ghost story which highlights a filmmaker always willing to test herself. Rated: 4/5 Dec 11, 2023 Full Review Emma Simmonds Radio Times The Eternal Daughter is anchored by a lovely dual turn from Swinton, who conjures two very distinct characters and effectively portrays the fondness and frustration that exists between them. Rated: 4/5 Dec 7, 2023 Full Review Rich Cline Shadows on the Wall While the film is often infuriatingly ethereal, patient viewers will find it intriguing and deeper than it looks. Rated: 3.5/5 Nov 28, 2023 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis An artist and her elderly mother confront long-buried secrets when they return to a former family home, now a hotel haunted by its mysterious past. Featuring a towering, deeply moving performance by Tilda Swinton, acclaimed filmmaker Joanna Hogg's beguiling latest film is a brilliant and captivating exploration of parental relationships and the things we leave behind.
      Director
      Joanna Hogg
      Executive Producer
      Martin Scorsese, Rose Garnett
      Screenwriter
      Joanna Hogg
      Distributor
      A24
      Production Co
      Element Pictures, Cineart, JWH Films
      Rating
      PG-13 (Some Drug Material)