Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Summer 1993

Released May 25, 2018 1h 38m Drama TRAILER for Summer 1993: Trailer 1 List
      100% 99 Reviews Tomatometer 83% 500+ Ratings Audience Score Six-year-old Frida looks on in silence as the last objects from her recently deceased mother's apartment in Barcelona are placed in boxes. Although her aunt, uncle and younger cousin welcome her with open arms, Frida finds it hard to forget her mother and adapt to her new home in the Catalan countryside. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Apr 01 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Summer 1993

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Rent Summer 1993 on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Summer 1993

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Summer 1993 (Estiu 1993) finds writer-director Carla Simón drawing on personal memories to create a thoughtful drama elevated by outstanding work from its young leads.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (32) audience reviews
      charming m Moving, outstanding gut-punch of a film..... Wonderful acting to a cracking script adds to a helluva directing debut from Carla Simon. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 07/13/23 Full Review Audience Member Carla Simón's debut film is wise, not only in cinematographic terms but in her understanding of the human being, specially - and more complicated- of childhood. Accompanied by her surprising child interpreters, the director immerses us in the story of Frida, a girl who lost her parents to AIDS and who is full of questions, sadness and, of course, anger. What makes this film transcendent despite its simplicity is the subtlety with which the director tells the story, without the need for clichés and unnecessary resources, wasted by use, such as sad music or incessant tearing, shows that based on of small details and very strong feelings it is possible to innovate in the coming-of-age. What I like the most is that the director is smart enough to know that children are not innocent and can plan, manipulate and take revenge, although she does not judge her little protagonist for it. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/27/23 Full Review Audience Member I felt I was not watching a movie. I was watching a summer in some people's real life. It reminded me of what it was to be a child and be confused, sad and angry, and to lose a loved one to death at that age. It also felt very familiar to me because I left my hometown, which is in Spain, at 5 years old. The ending really touched me. The crying was inevitable. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/25/23 Full Review chris k 'Estiu 1993' is an exquisite film: not just because of its superb acting, its lovely ambience, or its brilliant shots; its beauty lies at the way it explores the feelings of a child - that of jealousy, shame, sadness, confusion, enthusiasm and more. It does not treat the child as an immature human, as unimportant, as a simple-to-understand doll. No, 'Estiu 1993' explores - perhaps not fully, but this might be impossible - the children's feelings in a rarely-seen respectful and earnest way. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review andy h It's a gentle, quiet, light, prestige, intimate, sensual, adorable, and time-standing indie gem that foreign film buffs Must experience. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member OMG I'm crying! Rated 3 out of 5 stars 01/19/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

89% 70% Sunday's Illness 78% 76% What Will People Say TRAILER for What Will People Say 86% % Roads in February 88% 43% Daughter of Mine TRAILER for Daughter of Mine 45% 91% So B. It TRAILER for So B. It Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (99) Critics Reviews
      Nell Minow AWFJ.org The intimacy of the story-telling here is deeply moving. Director Carla Simon created space for performances of truly extraordinary naturalism from everyone in the cast, especially the two young girls. Oct 12, 2021 Full Review Leah Pickett Chicago Reader Refreshingly, Simón's take on the "summer that changed everything" movie is delicate and unsentimental, earning an emotional response simply by exploring how a child interprets loss from the child's perspective and at the child's pace. Sep 25, 2018 Full Review David Stratton The Australian ...a wonderfully honest and gracefully directed insight into the world of children. Rated: 4/5 Aug 3, 2018 Full Review Kate Saccone Vague Visages This is a cinematic autobiography that feels both grounded in personal history and expanded upon and imagined. Dec 12, 2023 Full Review Farah Cheded A Good Movie To Watch This stunning debut from Catalan director Carla Simón is a deeply affecting immersion into the unexpected ways grief colors a young life. Rated: 90/100 Jul 26, 2023 Full Review Sandie Angulo Chen AWFJ.org This is a painful and powerful film about grief, fitting in, and family. Oct 12, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Six-year-old Frida looks on in silence as the last objects from her recently deceased mother's apartment in Barcelona are placed in boxes. Although her aunt, uncle and younger cousin welcome her with open arms, Frida finds it hard to forget her mother and adapt to her new home in the Catalan countryside.
      Director
      Carla Simón
      Producer
      Valérie Delpierre, María Zamora
      Screenwriter
      Carla Simón
      Distributor
      Oscilloscope Laboratories
      Production Co
      Instituto de la Cinematografía y de las Artes Audiovisuales
      Genre
      Drama