Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

On Chesil Beach

R Released May 18, 2018 1h 50m Romance Drama TRAILER for On Chesil Beach: Trailer 1 List
      68% 171 Reviews Tomatometer 60% 500+ Ratings Audience Score In 1962, newlyweds Edward and Florence, both in their early 20s and also both virgins, spend their honeymoon preoccupied and terrified by the upcoming consummation of their marriage. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 21 Buy Now

Where to Watch

On Chesil Beach

Fandango at Home Prime Video Max

Watch On Chesil Beach with a subscription on Max, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

On Chesil Beach

What to Know

Critics Consensus

On Chesil Beach presents a well-acted and solidly crafted adaptation of a small yet resonant story with deceptively rich subtext.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (82) audience reviews
      Jules W The cast was great but the story was so flawed. If she was truly frigid how could she have children with someone she didn't even like, let alone love? Rated 3 out of 5 stars 04/05/24 Full Review KB B It was pretty engaging but quite a different romance movie. The ending was so sad. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 12/30/23 Full Review Robert W It was a most disturbing movie but its weakness was the lack of clarity about the reason the young woman was so afraid of sex. On reflection it was clear that she had been sexually assaulted by her father, but this was not made very clear in the movie. In the book it is made clear and I feel that the movie would have been more powerful if the sexual assault by her father was also made very clear instead of tiny flashbacks which were very ambiguous and only on reflection about her lack of interest in sex was this made clear. As the victim of a sexual assault by her father she would have been traumatised by her father's behaviour. This was a bad mistake in the movie. Not to make this clear i my opinion made the movie confusing as to why she acted as she did in the marriage bed, but as the victim of sexual abuse it would have been very clear. I realise that the intent was probably to present the crazy attitudes to sex in early 1960s England but now we know so much more about the effects on the lives of the abused and we would have seen the reality of the effect of child sexual abuse on them as they try to go into marriage damaged emotionally for ever. To present the 1960s pre-sexual revolution, or to present the true back ground of the girl and her damaged mind was a difficult decision. I think the wrong one was made in the film. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 05/25/23 Full Review steve d It is not a story I thought would be interesting but thanks to the artful care in both script and performance it really worked. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Paul A Wow. What a waste of two hours. Incredibly depressing movie. And pretty unrealistic. Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 10/16/22 Full Review isla s I thought this film was quite good, in terms of it being somewhat atmospheric, with some nice landscape shots of the titular pebble beach, with mist around and in some nice interior settings. Its a somewhat thoughtful watch, with a good performance by Saoirse Ronan. I particularly enjoyed the instrumental/classical music pieces played during the film, often live performances. Its a good period drama, mainly set in the 1960s but also the early 1970s. Its not an outstanding watch or anything and it is perhaps a little moody and pessimistic in tone for some but its by no means a bad film and so I'd recommend it on that basis. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

95% 68% If Beale Street Could Talk TRAILER for If Beale Street Could Talk 91% 70% Phantom Thread TRAILER for Phantom Thread 92% 81% Cold War TRAILER for Cold War 50% 86% The Laureate TRAILER for The Laureate 90% 36% The Souvenir TRAILER for The Souvenir Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (171) Critics Reviews
      J. R. Jones Chicago Reader Once McEwan fully exposes the couple's compromised relationship there are some strong scenes of them surveying the wreckage together. Mar 10, 2020 Full Review Mark Kermode Kermode & Mayo's Film Review I really did believe in the central couple and their alienation. Aug 28, 2018 Full Review Robert Daniels 812filmreviews Unfortunately, by the final act of the film we've lost any empathy for these two. And there's little rationale as to why they should matter to anyone else. Rated: 2/4 Aug 27, 2018 Full Review Dennis Schwartz Dennis Schwartz Movie Reviews Underwhelming romantic drama. Rated: C+ Mar 10, 2024 Full Review Merryn Johns Curve Ronan is stunning as Florence. Simultaneously fierce and delicate, she is the embodiment of a young woman who navigates the traps of heterosexuality -- without a feminist slogan or women’s group in sight. May 20, 2022 Full Review Matt Brunson Film Frenzy It's a movie that stumbles out of the gate. But after a fumbling first act, the story deepens alongside the narrative conflicts. Rated: 2.5/4 Jun 7, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis In 1962, newlyweds Edward and Florence, both in their early 20s and also both virgins, spend their honeymoon preoccupied and terrified by the upcoming consummation of their marriage.
      Director
      Dominic Cooke
      Producer
      Babak Eftekhari, Wayne Marc Godfrey, Thorsten Schumacher, Andrew Mackie, Joe Oppenheimer, Zygi Kamasa, Beth Pattinson
      Screenwriter
      Ian McEwan
      Distributor
      Bleecker Street Media
      Production Co
      BBC Films, Number 9 Films
      Rating
      R (Some Sexual Content and Nudity)
      Genre
      Romance, Drama
      Original Language
      English