Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

A Fantastic Woman

R Now Playing 1 hr. 43 min. Drama LGBTQ+ TRAILER for A Fantastic Woman: Trailer 1 List
      94% 227 Reviews Tomatometer 76% 2,500+ Ratings Audience Score A transgender singer faces scorn and discrimination after the sudden death of her older boyfriend. Read More Read Less Now in Theaters Now Playing Buy Tickets

Where to Watch

A Fantastic Woman

In Theaters Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent A Fantastic Woman on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

A Fantastic Woman

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Subtle and tender, A Fantastic Woman handles its timely, sensitive subject matter with care.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (98) audience reviews
      babarizam Its painfully beautiful and heart broken in many ways. prejudice behaviuor to force everything into acceptable frame. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/08/24 Full Review Corey J i liked it and im glad she got her dog back. it only downside in my opinion is the realistic but kinda dull ending, but maybe im just used to big flashy endings Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 12/22/23 Full Review Lindsay R This was the most realistic trans character and trans experience I've ever seen depicted. Marina is not perfectly polished. She could walk into any trans gathering I know and instantly fit. We get a sense of her moving through a life and its challenges day by day. For me, the story is one of trying to stand up for oneself as a human being in life situations, and resilience when those efforts are met with disrespect and hostility. The line of the movie for me is "life goes on." You don't always get what you want, or even what you are entitled to, but sometimes, ... Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 11/07/23 Full Review PridePosterStudios She’s really put through a lot. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 04/26/24 Full Review Nawt W Try as it might, it's not interesting or endearing to watch the victimhood parade of a transwoman trying not to lash out against an onslaught of strawmen. Aside from a redundant earful about self-worth and how there is no deeper meaning in the most devastating events in our lives, this movie is the apex of caricaturing the issues of transgender people, dialing it up to the max level of absurdity, living the actual story of grief in a perpetual duel with it, and soaking it all in the dying jazz and whimsically off-putting soundtrack. At least the visuals are decent, and many delusions scenes are very well paced and integrated.  Aside from Vega, almost everyone's performance is atrocious, and it has nothing to do with the actors. Anyone who is an ally has no character. Their character is that they are an ally of Marina. Meanwhile, racist and transphobic scum are all caricatures. You've got it all: Orlando's son, who tells Marina he finds her disgusting but is visibly aroused by the thought of it. wife, who is madly jealous that her husband apparently chose her over their family, and doctors who call the police to snitch on Marina. truck full of the Chilean version of rednecks with "feathers and tar." Tone-deaf cops who are so disquieted that they simply humiliate Marina for no reason. I can go on and on because that's the whole movie, the most blunt and conspicuous things that definitely happen. Plus the obnoxious Orlando ghost sightings, which become increasingly amusing as the number increases. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 09/25/22 Full Review isla s This is a quite powerful film which features a very impressive performance by the main actor, Daniela Vega, as Marina Vidal. It's sad to see how people treat her due to her being transgender. Its very much a piece of social commentary. I was quite impressed by the steely look of determination on her face, when she has to deal with insults and hatred. I felt the film was quite immersive due to the sheer power of presence she has. This is very much a thought provoking film, one I'd highly recommend for its ability to make you question the point of view of a transgender person in the scenario Marina finds herself in (having lost her partner). Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

80% 85% Viva TRAILER for Viva 84% 57% Beach Rats TRAILER for Beach Rats 53% 30% Boulevard 78% 58% Concussion 77% 83% Uncle Frank TRAILER for Uncle Frank Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (227) Critics Reviews
      J. R. Jones Chicago Reader [Daniela] Vega is mesmerizing as the protagonist. Mar 26, 2020 Full Review Scott Marks San Diego Reader Vega's performance is riveting, but writer and co-director Sebastián Leilo's use of sex and gender to shape his narrative is straight out of a '50s melodrama. Feb 21, 2019 Full Review Donald Clarke Irish Times The picture works as an extended scream against lazy assumptions and blinkered bigotry. But it is also light, funny, wry and inspiring. Rated: 5/5 Mar 13, 2018 Full Review Rosa Parra Latinx Lens A tough look at what the trans community experience on a daily basis. Marina's inner strength, self-love, and maturity are admirable and empowering. Rated: 4.5/5 Apr 3, 2022 Full Review Jason Adams My New Plaid Pants a delicate strain of surrealism worked through the film that graces us with some of the most transfixing moments Jan 14, 2022 Full Review Nikki Baughan AWFJ.org This poignant tale of grief, loss and societal alienation is directed with warmth and sensitivity by Sebastian Lelio, and is both powerful cultural statement and emotionally involving human drama. Nov 4, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A transgender singer faces scorn and discrimination after the sudden death of her older boyfriend.
      Director
      Sebastián Lelio
      Screenwriter
      Sebastián Lelio, Gonzalo Maza
      Distributor
      Sony Pictures Classics
      Production Co
      Muchas Gracias, Fabula, Komplizen Film, Participant Media, Setembro Cine
      Rating
      R (Language|A Disturbing Assault|Nudity|Sexual Content)
      Genre
      Drama, LGBTQ+
      Original Language
      Spanish
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Feb 2, 2018, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 23, 2018
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $2.0M
      Sound Mix
      Dolby Digital