Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Double Lover

Released Feb 14, 2018 1 hr. 48 min. Mystery & Thriller Drama TRAILER for Double Lover: Trailer 1 List
      70% 105 Reviews Tomatometer 47% 250+ Ratings Audience Score Chloé, a fragile young woman, falls in love with her psychoanalyst but soon discovers that her lover is concealing a part of his identity. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Double Lover

Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Double Lover on Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Prime Video, Apple TV.

Double Lover

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Double Lover offers kinky pleasures that should thrill fans of classic erotic cinema while adding some uniquely transgressive European twists.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (22) audience reviews
      Audience Member Poor editing, lack of continuity, and a barrage of clichés dampen what is already a yawnfest of a film. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 08/18/23 Full Review Ken R Yet another shoddy French movie with perverse sex scenes strung together in the hope the audience won't notice the lack of writing or so-called story. If the easily (or perversely) pleased can find anything to like or respect about this low trash, then they can also be regarded as in the same class as this French dud. Another for SBS' growing stockpile of smutty foreign movies to add to their junk heap - that only they could justify putting to air. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 03/22/20 Full Review dave d The French film 'Double Lover' is an erotic thriller from the complex mind of François Ozon, who wrote and directed. I loved this movie until I didn't, but other than the last five minutes it's entirely worth your time and who knows perhaps the ending will work for you! It's a film fascinated with twins and it's shot exquisitely and keeps you thinking during the entire runtime. It's most certainly a film you know you're either going to be into or out the door within about twenty minutes. It's not for everyone. And that ending, sheesh. Final Score: 7.6/10 Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review mauro l Only since 1919 the literature on Doppelganger has become synonymous with disturbing effect and mental destabilization: since Freud published precisely "Das Unheimliche" ("The Uncanny"). In reality this effect occurs exclusively in subjects with unconscious conflicting desires, otherwise, if these conflicts are managed in full consciousness and awareness, the effect is not given. That's why the little twin sisters of "Shining" can reappear to me as much as they want and I will continue to perceive them as a deadlock in the narrative. An interminable filmography has been created on the subject, and my apathetic reaction has always remained the same. Ozon tries to mix the cards oscillating between the psychic and the biological: a sort of remake of "Dead Ringers" (1988) but from the perspective of "The Fly" (1986). And I insist on getting bored, with a softcore full of the nasty nudes of the androgyne Marine Vacht (while I'm heterosexual: "Well, nobody's perfect"). (Mauro Lanari) Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review david f Freudian, French, sexy, surprising. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member If the 2 leads were not so goodlooking, no one would believe the story. Ozon has done better. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 02/01/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

50% 36% Based on a True Story 13% 80% The Texture of Falling 36% 59% Inconceivable TRAILER for Inconceivable 63% 29% Claire in Motion TRAILER for Claire in Motion 94% 47% Most Beautiful Island TRAILER for Most Beautiful Island Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (105) Critics Reviews
      Manuela Lazic Little White Lies A genre film taking a woman to the extremes of sanity while always honouring her emotions, L'Amant Double is a bold and often disturbing spectacle. Rated: 4/5 Jul 4, 2018 Full Review Tara Brady Irish Times Were L'Amant Double the work of any other film-maker - one without the credible female-oriented pictures 8 Women and Swimming Pool on his CV - it would make for unimaginatively troubling viewing. Rated: 3/5 Jun 8, 2018 Full Review Alex Godfrey Empire Magazine Saucy and silly, L'Amant Double is a disappointingly superficial romp, with interesting psychological potential squandered by B-movie levels of nonsense. Identity crises all round. Rated: 2/5 Jun 5, 2018 Full Review Joe Lipsett Bloody Disgusting Double Lover is a stylish, wild, and sexy ride, but it’s not meant to be taken seriously. If Hitchcock’s highbrow thrillers and Lyne’s salacious domestic dramas had a contemporary Erotic Thriller baby, it might look something like this. Rated: 4/5 Feb 1, 2024 Full Review Jason Adams My New Plaid Pants Twice as much everything. It's Hitchcock told not just by Brain DePalma but also by David Cronenberg. Why wear one heart on your sleeves when you can wear two, and why wear any hearts if they aren't deformed ones with the wrong number of ventricles? Jan 10, 2022 Full Review Grant Watson Fiction Machine The climactic scenes will provoke you into either peals of laughter or apoplectic rage. It is hard to imagine there could be a middle response between the two. Rated: 2/10 Sep 22, 2021 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Chloé, a fragile young woman, falls in love with her psychoanalyst but soon discovers that her lover is concealing a part of his identity.
      Director
      François Ozon
      Screenwriter
      François Ozon, Joyce Carol Oates
      Distributor
      Cohen Media Group
      Production Co
      Mars Films
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller, Drama
      Original Language
      French (France)