Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

The Sense of an Ending

PG-13 Released Mar 10, 2017 1 hr. 48 min. Drama TRAILER for The Sense of an Ending: Trailer 1 List
      75% 123 Reviews Tomatometer 52% 1,000+ Ratings Audience Score A business owner (Jim Broadbent) reunites with his first love (Charlotte Rampling) after a letter and a diary force him to confront the past. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Mar 08 Buy Now

Where to Watch

The Sense of an Ending

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent The Sense of an Ending on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

The Sense of an Ending

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Anchored by a strong starring performance by Jim Broadbent, The Sense of an Ending proves consistently gripping even as it skims the narrative surface of its literary source material.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (73) audience reviews
      Peter G Julian Barnes also wrote the screenplay & all was very clear to me in the transition from novel to film. I feel his adaptation held my interest throughout & a splendid cast added generally fine characterizations as well. The flashback structure could be occasionally confusing but viewing the film a second time might make the action clearer for some. The brevity of Barnes novel allows the film sufficient time to include all the fundamental details in the plot. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/24/24 Full Review Jeremy S Not unusually, it was a big disappointment compared to the book. I probably watched it to confirm that to be honest. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 01/29/24 Full Review Vander A What a cast......But, it is a movie that is not worth 2 hrs of your life trying to figure out the life of the main character - it never develops enough interest for you to care. Hard to believe with such great actors but it's really just sort of boring. It never goes anywhere and I never figured out the plot but didn't care. Rated 1.5 out of 5 stars 07/29/23 Full Review isla s This is a slow moving drama about grief, loss and self reflection. It includes references to suicide, so I thought I should point that out in terms of it being a trigger warning. Its quite nostalgic and somewhat thought provoking and Jim Broadbent gives a particularly good performance as the main character, Tony Webster, who recalls his younger days and wonders what may have been. Its not especially maudlin (i.e. overly sentimental), which I appreciated as I'm not really a big fan of over the top sentimental type films, I have to say. This is a fairly understated film. I found this a quite engrossing and thoughtful watch and would recommend it to others. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Nicely crafted, it provides the story of at least one older man, who is pushed to rediscover some of his history anew. In the process he's shocked by some unexpected, possibly forgotten evidence of some past casual cruelty that he perpetratod, & gradually discovers how little he actually understood then, let alone how much he's been assuming now. The experience propels him to be more considerate of those still around him, & while the finish is a bit too neatly tied up, I found the whole an enjoyable package: An interesting discussion on human behaviour, our sometimes misplaced pride in being our own kind of 'interested', or 'caring', or 'fastidious', or even our assumption that we completely understand what it is in front of us, when we don't actually know even who we are looking at. Bit neat? Yep. But definitely recommended? Absolutely. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/18/23 Full Review Audience Member Does the memory trick you? This idea is central to the theme of this movie as Jim Broadbent takes on the role of Tony Webster, a semi-retired camera dealer, who is reunited with his first lover when he receives a letter. As events unfold, Webster is forced to reevaluate his recollections of past events and come to terms with the dreadful consequences of his own actions. I really enjoyed this film and the tricks it plays with the viewer. Jim Broadbent is a wonderfully natural choice for the lead and is totally believable. Charlotte Rampling takes the role of his first love, Veronica and she does a sterling job in one of her characteristically complex parts. A very bittersweet drama, this film sparked an interesting conversation in my home about how recollections can become blurred over time. I'd recommend this movie as something a little out of the ordinary. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/13/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

99% 71% Things to Come TRAILER for Things to Come 27% 63% Gimme Shelter 73% 85% Gifted TRAILER for Gifted 9% 52% Run the Tide TRAILER for Run the Tide 12% 33% Aardvark TRAILER for Aardvark Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (123) Critics Reviews
      Olivia Luder One Room With A View While the lack of answers may frustrate some, the assured direction of Batra and an affecting performance from Broadbent make this a film to remember. Rated: 4/5 Mar 5, 2019 Full Review Kimberley Jones Austin Chronicle The book's mysteries and bleak epiphanies prove too subtle for the film to adapt with any deep impact. Rated: 2.5/5 Dec 27, 2017 Full Review Jake Wilson The Age (Australia) All this couldn't be further in spirit from the source material, where part of the point is that the "real" Tony remains a mystery, even or especially to himself. Rated: 2/5 May 26, 2017 Full Review Brian T. Carney Washington Blade The Sense of an Ending features a beautifully nuanced performance by Jim Broadbent... Dec 15, 2022 Full Review Michael J. Casey Michael J. Cinema The problem with 'Sense of An Ending' might not be the main character's tone-deaf approach to his female relationships but the filmmaker's. Rated: 1.5/5 May 25, 2021 Full Review Leigh Monson Substream Magazine Whether through the fault of the writing or the editing, The Sense of an Ending is an absolute mess. Rated: 1.5/5 Sep 24, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A business owner (Jim Broadbent) reunites with his first love (Charlotte Rampling) after a letter and a diary force him to confront the past.
      Director
      Ritesh Batra
      Executive Producer
      Ben Browning, Aaron Ryder, Glen Basner, Milan Popelka, Norman Merry, Christine Langan, Ed Wethered
      Screenwriter
      Nick Payne
      Distributor
      CBS Films
      Production Co
      Origin Pictures
      Rating
      PG-13 (Brief Strong Language|A Violent Image|Sexuality|Thematic Elements)
      Genre
      Drama
      Original Language
      English (United Kingdom)
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Mar 10, 2017, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 23, 2017
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $1.2M
      Most Popular at Home Now