Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Kuroshitsuji: Book of the Atlantic

2017 1 hr. 40 min. Sci-Fi Anime List
      Reviews 94% 100+ Ratings Audience Score In 1889, an earl and his servants board a luxury cruise liner to investigate illegal human experimentation that brings the dead back to life. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Nov 01 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Kuroshitsuji: Book of the Atlantic

Fandango at Home Prime Video

Buy Kuroshitsuji: Book of the Atlantic on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Audience Reviews

View All (11) audience reviews
      LABEL 2 平庸至极的丧尸灾难片,企划方到底是对"电影"这一媒介有怎样错误的认知才会决定以动画之短击实拍之长啊……只有伊丽莎白的段落和回忆段落比较有趣。 Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/13/24 Full Review Scarlet S The movie was immaculate! You can definitely tell that Yana Toboso wanted to, tell more about the characters and their stories in this movie. The Mastermind who was behind the plan...I was speechless to find out who it was...You will have to see the movie to find out for yourself. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/28/23 Full Review Audience Member What could make the Titanic's sinking more dramatic? How about crazy supernatural fights between modern lawn mowers and silverware? What about zombies? What about bickering between a traumatized orphan and his demonic Butler as he tries to make an adequate cup of tea? Every bit about this film screams ludicrousness and I loved every second of it. Ever since this film first came out, I've been shocked that there isn't more discussion about it. It is a definite crowd pleaser for any Black Butler fan, but has elements that would appeal to nearly everyone. The characters are even so well defined that I would feel confident showing this to someone unfamiliar with the original series, as there is little need to be extremely familiar with it and, like many Black Butler pieces, it can serve as a stand alone film. To characterize my review, I am fully caught up with the manga at the time of writing this, and am immensely pleased with the level of detail the film shows, especially in regards of staging one of the biggest plot twists the series has to offer. Just know that, should the series animate the rest of the manga, they did an excellent job of foreshadow, not leaving out the important details in the slightest. Cinematically, one may have an easy time perceiving this as a movie. It certainly has the budgeting. These fights are the best Black Butler has ever had and quite exciting, as despite the perpetual plot armor surrounding much of the cast, they still had my heart racing and I have already read the manga. The only place I genuinely feel as though they might have slouched a bit on the animation budget is one choice scene at the very end. And from here on out, this review will be peppered with spoilers. Both from the manga and the film. Read at your own risk. The scene I'm referring to is where Sebastian is raising to the tip of the sinking ship touting Ceil. While the characters are rendered in good detail and certainly animated well, the background is noticably lacking in any sort of details department. It was noticable enough that I had to discuss it. The movie also uses CGI, and I think rather well. As for the significance of my former comments, I was pleased by the details they kept around Sebastian's flashbacks. For the unenlightened still reading at this point, there was a massive theory which was confirmed in the last couple of years about this series: Ciel is not Ciel, but rather the younger, frailer twin brother of the boy originally intended to be the heir of the Phantomhive name. At the time of writing this review, we have not learned his real name, though I personally prefer the name Astre for a number of reasons. We see the blue candy again, covered in Ciel's blood. The lines "Ciel" states about his name/status are paraphrased from the manga, as is Sebastian's reply. Calling him a liar after he calls himself Ciel was one of the important details that made fans of the series question what the lie he was telling was. Another great touch was Ciel visiting the gravestones to mourn. After time passes, we see him now on his knees in front of "his" grave marker, which was a great subtle detail for nonmanga readers to cotton onto. After all, why would he be mourning himself? He also mentions in his sleep that they're "all staring at him dead." This could be a translation thing, but saying they're all and not they're both was also a great language choice. We can't really undervalue how well this arc and Book of Circus stage the Ciel twin twist. Nor the undertaker, whose transformation from a bizare mystery into a terrifying threat was excellent as well. The series handled him fairly well. I hope to see them continue to handle his character with the appropriate care he deserves. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/17/23 Full Review peter m The Black Butler TV-Series, the mystery movies and the real life movie are all excellent. This movie from the series is watchable, but certainly not great. The feeling of the TV-series is not present, except in small parts and there is no Sherlock Holmes type mystery to solve, as was covered in the mystery movies. As a result it can be classed as a basic, if enjoyable watch. I would watch the TV-Series first and if you liked it, move on to this movie. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Perfect!!! just like the manga Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/05/23 Full Review Audience Member This is the greatest movie in the universe (but I guess that's so becaz I'm a huge fan!!)Aaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 01/14/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Movie Info

Synopsis In 1889, an earl and his servants board a luxury cruise liner to investigate illegal human experimentation that brings the dead back to life.
      Director
      Noriyuki Abe
      Screenwriter
      Hiroyuki Yoshino
      Production Co
      A-1 Pictures, Square Enix
      Genre
      Sci-Fi, Anime
      Original Language
      Japanese
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Jun 5, 2018