Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Raw

R Now Playing 1 hr. 38 min. Horror Drama TRAILER for Raw: Trailer 1 List
      93% 201 Reviews Tomatometer 77% 5,000+ Ratings Audience Score Stringent vegetarian Justine (Garance Marillier) encounters a decadent, merciless and dangerously seductive world during her first week at veterinary school. Desperate to fit in, she strays from her principles and eats raw meat for the first time. The young woman soon experiences terrible and unexpected consequences as her true self begins to emerge. Read More Read Less Now in Theaters Now Playing Buy Tickets

Where to Watch

Raw

In Theaters Fandango at Home Apple TV

Rent Raw on Fandango at Home, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Apple TV.

Raw

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Raw's lurid violence and sexuality live up to its title, but they're anchored with an immersive atmosphere and deep symbolism that linger long after the provocative visuals fade.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (382) audience reviews
      Miguel M Gran pelicula que te demuestra una hermandad de caníbales que me impacto. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/30/24 Full Review Karina P Raw is a very interesting and unique movie. It'll keep you interested and wanting to watch more! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/09/24 Full Review Arthur Z Absolute masterpiece. An intriguing, dense and raw movie different from anything I've ever watched, playing with the gross and anguish, couting on with the great performance of Garance Marillier,as the main character, and Jim Willians in the soundtrack. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/13/24 Full Review Marcus E Takes too long to pan out. No need to wait until the end to show the audience what they came for. In 2023 it doesn't hold up, but maybe this was groundbreaking back when it was released. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 01/06/24 Full Review Luis M. D The movie isn't about zombies or werewolves. It's about a seemingly normal girl who suddenly develops a rare genetic anomaly while in her first year of college. The tension and horror are so well crafted that when the most shocking part arrives, the viewer simply accepts the logic of the plot entirely. Very good! Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 11/24/23 Full Review S. C Gross, fresh and exciting. The score is awesome. I liked some of the cinematography. Some editing choices were cool. Good performances. A few very well directed scenes, yet some others stick out as pointless. While the lead roles were craving for meat I was craving for more in the script. The pacing is a little too fast. Alexia's character could have used some more development on screen. I found the twist at the end quite comical, the reveal that the mother had passed down her genes as a cannibal, however I think it was the right way to end it since it was already absurd enough that both sisters turned out to be cannibalistic. It's kind of silly, that it becomes so fictional. Though it doesn't take away too much from the overall experience thanks to the stronger aspects of the movie. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 10/07/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

78% 57% The Eyes of My Mother TRAILER for The Eyes of My Mother 73% 43% When Animals Dream TRAILER for When Animals Dream 93% 71% You Won't Be Alone TRAILER for You Won't Be Alone 44% 31% Wind Chill TRAILER for Wind Chill 92% 51% Relic TRAILER for Relic Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (201) Critics Reviews
      Cody Corrall Chicago Reader Raw is one of few films in the "female cannibal" canon, one that flips the power dynamic of women in horror so they are in control, rather than afraid of, their own carnal desires. Oct 8, 2021 Full Review Dahlia Balcazar Bitch Media Julia Ducournau's feature film debut Raw joins the canon with the French teen-cannibal, coming-of-age story I didn't know I was waiting for. Feb 17, 2021 Full Review Alexandra Heller-Nicholas The Blue Lenses It often takes decades for filmmakers to strike the right sense of balance Ducournau has achieved with Raw, and she is a director and writer with a formidable grasp. Aug 25, 2018 Full Review Marshall Shaffer Vague Visages These crashes back into a messy reality invoke how the rise and fall of a plot arc represents a merely synthetic change. Actual transformation takes more than just giving into a gut response spurred by familial intervention. Dec 6, 2023 Full Review Abby Monteil them. In juxtaposing her main character’s sexual awakening with her burgeoning cannibalism, director Julie Durconeau challenges the often fraught relationship between female violence and sexuality in horror. Oct 27, 2022 Full Review Brian Eggert Deep Focus Review Full of visceral horror and a thoughtful meditation on the various hungers of youth, Raw is a blazingly original and confidently crafted debut. Rated: 4/4 Feb 12, 2022 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Stringent vegetarian Justine (Garance Marillier) encounters a decadent, merciless and dangerously seductive world during her first week at veterinary school. Desperate to fit in, she strays from her principles and eats raw meat for the first time. The young woman soon experiences terrible and unexpected consequences as her true self begins to emerge.
      Director
      Julia Ducournau
      Screenwriter
      Julia Ducournau
      Distributor
      Focus World
      Production Co
      Petit Film, Frakas Productions, Rouge International
      Rating
      R (Bloody and Grisly Images|Aberrant Behavior|Strong Sexuality|Drug Use/Partying|Language|Nudity)
      Genre
      Horror, Drama
      Original Language
      French (France)
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Mar 10, 2017, Limited
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 22, 2017
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $508.4K
      Aspect Ratio
      CinemaScope (2,35:1)