Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

My Father and My Son

2005 1h 48m Comedy Drama List
      Reviews 96% Audience Score 5,000+ Ratings A Turkish boy (Ege Tanman) helps to mend the ties between his father (Fikret Kuskan) and his grandfather (Çetin Tekindor). Read More Read Less

Critics Reviews

View All (1) Critics Reviews
      Andrea Gronvall Chicago Reader Blatantly manipulative, broadly acted, and with a score that's about as subtle as a pit bull. May 29, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (220) audience reviews
      Yash B "My Father and My Son" is a very heartfelt and human story. This movie is ultimately about the bonds of family and has a lot of great lessons for everyone. Sometimes I felt it would dive more into the characters and backstories, but I think what is presented is still really good. By the end of it, I really felt the emotions of the story and think this is a movie that everyone can enjoy despite the unique setting and situation that sparks the story. Overall, this is a very good movie that has a warm heart and truly has something for everyone. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/07/24 Full Review Taylor L "You are my son. You mean more than life. That's all." My Father and My Son is filled with emotion but isn't particularly concerned with subtlety; there's a few instances of mildly excessive performances (a slightly simpleminded brother, for instance) that probably could have been roped in, and some worldbuilding details that are never followed up on (Fikret Kuşkan's Sadık is a victim of the 1980 Turkish coup, but that event feels oddly isolated so the film can stick to family dynamics, which is particularly odd since the event seems to have been partially responsible for a wedge between father and son). But the script compensates with a lot of heart, a spirit of family bonds that allows the characters to overcome past disagreements. There's plenty of time devoted to the traditional family warmth, reflecting longingly on old photos, giving gentle ribbings, homecooked meals and sunny picnics; writer-director Çağan Irmak puts in the work to make you feel connected to the family. But he also has more than just a bit of Turkish Norman Rockwell, he creates this dynamic for his young protagonist (Deniz) that brings his imagination to vivid life, where he finds ordinary situations transformed into fantastical adventures; when the emotion starts to run high in reality, this worlds eventually coalesce to find a way of coming to terms with grief. Plus, who doesn't like to see a grumpy old grandpa character come around to his innocent grandson? It's a very warm film, very cute. Maybe a bit too on-the-nose at times, but still strong. (3.5/5) Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 02/01/23 Full Review manoj k one of the movie which everyone has to see in their lifetime. Do not miss it. Awesome performance by the crew. The movie is simply great on many levels. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/30/23 Full Review Audience Member Over-Sentimental, boring and unrealistic. A mediocre and overrated movie. Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 02/23/23 Full Review Audience Member I have not seen many Turkish films and I do not like them frankly, but this film was able to enter my heart and I loved it very much, it is a beautiful family film, only some of the most emotional representations. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/16/23 Full Review yannis a Very good. The Turkish version of 'Cinema Paradiso'. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews
      My Father and My Son

My Rating

Read More Read Less POST RATING WRITE A REVIEW EDIT REVIEW

Cast & Crew

Movie Info

Synopsis A Turkish boy (Ege Tanman) helps to mend the ties between his father (Fikret Kuskan) and his grandfather (Çetin Tekindor).
      Director
      Çagan Irmak
      Screenwriter
      Çagan Irmak
      Genre
      Comedy, Drama
      Original Language
      Turkish
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 1, 2018
      Runtime
      1h 48m