Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Season 1 – Kim's Convenience

2016 Comedy List
      100% 13 Reviews Tomatometer 92% 100+ Ratings Audience Score A Korean-Canadian family runs a convenience store in Toronto. Read More Read Less

Where to Watch

Kim's Convenience — Season 1

Netflix Prime Video

Watch Kim's Convenience — Season 1 with a subscription on Netflix, or buy it on Prime Video.

Kim's Convenience — Season 1

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Kim's Convenience may look like an old school sitcom, but its depiction of a Korean Canadian shop owner and his lovable family is positively refreshing.

Read Critics Reviews

Episodes

Episode 1 Aired Oct 11, 2016 Gay Discount Mr. Kim offers a gay discount; Mrs. Kim tries to find a cool, Christian-Korean boyfriend for Janet. Details Episode 2 Aired Oct 11, 2016 Janet's Photos Mr. Kim and Janet compete to see who is the better photographer; Jung applies for a promotion and Mrs. Kim and Kimchee are surprisingly affected. Details Episode 3 Aired Oct 18, 2016 Ddong Chim Jung is caught giving Kimchee a Korean wedgie at work; Mr. Kim asks Gerald to take his picture. Details Episode 4 Aired Oct 25, 2016 Frank and Nayoung Mr. Kim is frustrated with Frank the repairman; Janet's cousin Nayoung visits; when Jung takes Shannon to a baseball game, he wonders if she thinks it's a date. Details Episode 5 Aired Nov 1, 2016 Wingman Mr. Chin asks Mr. Kim to be his wingman; Janet asks Jung to fix a leaky pipe, but an intruder interrupts the repair. Details Episode 6 Aired Jun 5, 2022 Rude Kid Mr. Kim scolds Janet's professor's kid; Jung discovers Kimchee's method to make extra money. Details Episode 7 Aired Nov 22, 2016 Hapkido Janet takes a Hapkido class but Mr. Kim questions the teacher; Jung runs into an old flame. Details Episode 8 Aired Nov 29, 2016 Service Mr. Kim offers the new female pastor some free items, which tests his and Mrs. Kim's relationship; Jung tries to be okay when Janet dates his friend. Details Episode 9 Aired Dec 6, 2016 Best Before Mr. Kim tries to prove that "best before" dates mean nothing; Mrs. Kim's own children embarrass her at the church bazaar. Details Episode 10 Aired Dec 13, 2016 Janet's New Job Janet is sick of working for free and looks for a new job. Details Episode 11 Aired Dec 20, 2016 Handyman Mr. Kim fixes a broken toilet for Kimchee; Jung hides out with Shannon; when Edwin drops by, Janet believes there's more to his relationship with Mrs. Kim. Details Episode 12 Aired Dec 27, 2016 Appa's Lump Mr. Kim finds a lump on his back; Shannon brings Jung to a work event. Details Episode 13 Aired Dec 27, 2016 Family Singing Contest Before Janet can reveal her big news, she must survive the family singing festival at church; Mr. Kim gets attention for his new SUV. Details

Critics Reviews

View All (13) Critics Reviews
      John Doyle Globe and Mail Kim's Convenience is a clever, generally engaging screwball comedy with an eye on entertainment. Aug 29, 2019 Full Review Hua Hsu New Yorker Our most prestigious television series often double as commentaries on modern life. Though Kim's Convenience is set in the present, it feels like watching an alternate time line. Aug 29, 2019 Full Review Inkoo Kang Slate Growing up, I never imagined that I'd watch an English-language sitcom about a Korean family, let alone an episode centered on ddong chim. Sep 11, 2018 Full Review Rachel Wagner rachelsreviews.net I can't recommend it more highly. It's funny, sweet, authentic and just great. Rated: 9/10 Mar 5, 2021 Full Review Rhodé Marshall City Press (South Africa) This could probably be the first time I've watched a Canadian sitcom and boy, oh boy, I haven't laughed this much in ages. Apr 15, 2020 Full Review Li Lai Mediaversity Reviews The show fulfills a much-needed gap in storytelling: immigrant family life that delivers laugh-out-loud moments without trying to prove that we're all one big happy family. Rated: A Aug 29, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (59) audience reviews
      Kushal C I generally love watching sitcoms and I stumbled upon this. Watched the 1st season in a day and it really made me happy. Feels cute, mostly appa :). A screwball comedy, old school vibe and I am loving it. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 12/09/23 Full Review kwanbis Love it. Just stumble by it on Netflix. Love it. So well done, so well writen, beautiful characters. One of the best comedies I have ever seen. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 12/07/23 Full Review Saundra watts This is my favorite show. The dad is my favorite character. I have my whole family looking at this show. I had a house guest over and now she is hooked. You guys knocked this one out of the park. So funny and so entertaining. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 11/14/23 Full Review Cork B It's cute and well meaning. I liked the family, especially the dad who just blurts out whatever he thinks. It also uses the lens of a Korean immigrant family to poke and prod at bits of society like church or gay culture - stuff you could never do outright anymore. That is both a plus of the show and a criticism of the rest of TV. This show is pretty light fluff, but that is what it meant to be, so to call it shallow is missing the point. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 10/17/23 Full Review Bob V Love Mr and Mrs Kim and most of the supporting cast, except the son. His narcissistic attitude and completely using everyone around me, turns me off. He had trouble when he was younger and he seems to still have problems with ownership. When he was given a 6 month gift, he turned around and stole from his best friend and wouldn't have said anything except when his girlfriend showed her necklace in front of his best friend. The daughter has problems as well, but are minor compared to the brother. Show would have been a 5 star if the son was written out. Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 10/09/23 Full Review Phil S This show is fantastic, we went into it with no clue of what we were going to watch. So happy we gave it a shot as the first episode was just ok. This is now one of our favorite all time shows, the characters are awesome. It is obvious why the show always beat Schitt's Creek for the best comedy produced in Canada - no contest. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 07/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Season Info

Network
      CBC
      Rating
      TV-14
      Genre
      Comedy
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date
      Oct 11, 2016
      More Top TV Picks Netflix