Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Emma

PG Released Aug 2, 1996 2 hr. 1 min. Romance Comedy Drama List
      84% 57 Reviews Tomatometer 76% 50,000+ Ratings Audience Score In this adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel, pretty socialite Emma Woodhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow) entertains herself by playing matchmaker for those around her. Her latest "project" is Harriet Smith, an unpretentious debutant, while Emma herself receives the attentions of the dashing Frank Churchill (Ewan McGregor). However, Emma's attempts at matchmaking cause more problems than solutions and may ultimately jeopardize her own chance at love and happiness. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered Apr 16 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Emma

Fandango at Home Prime Video Paramount+

Watch Emma with a subscription on Paramount+, rent on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, or buy on Fandango at Home, Prime Video.

Emma

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Emma marks an auspicious debut for writer-director Douglas McGrath, making the most of its Jane Austen source material -- and a charming performance from Gwyneth Paltrow.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      The H Ewwww, brother ewwww Rated 0.5 out of 5 stars 02/29/24 Full Review Trafalgar L Jane Austen's classic novel comes to life with the help of Gwyneth Paltrow. Paltrow's portrayal of the titular character is superb. This adaptation makes the most of its source material and does it in the most respectful way possible. If you like "Clueless" then you'll love "Emma" Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 02/12/24 Full Review H.M. J This is my least favorite Emma adaption. A big Austen novel fan, Emma is probably one of my favorite books. Gwenyth Paltrow is flat as the primary character with little to no chemistry on screen with either of her supposed love interests. The best actors in the flick, who saved it for me, were the actresses playing Ms. Bates and Mrs. Elton. They showed the other actors how to walk the bright, playful line while also staying true to character, which I believe is what the director was going for. However, the primary actors missed this marked, playing bright and light and missing the feeling of the time and the book. Watch instead Romola G in BBC's rendition. She is an amazing Emma. The best Mr. Knightley can be found in the 2020 version, which falls short in other ways but does that role justice. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 07/18/23 Full Review daniel r Jeremy Northam is great, but a lot of the rest of the cast is miscast. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member Very well done! Very fun to watch! Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 03/30/22 Full Review jordan m The degree to which Clueless was superior to this movie has me worried about watching the 2020 remake here soon. Apparently they didn't know Clueless was being made when they started working on this, and I suppose there's room in the world for both versions, but for my personal tastes draining all of the comedy out while telling the same story is never going to make for a better movie, no matter how much I like Gwyneth and period movies in general. Rated 2 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

97% 90% Sense and Sensibility TRAILER for Sense and Sensibility 53% 66% One Fine Day 38% 49% A Good Woman 42% 60% The Majestic 57% 72% The Importance of Being Earnest Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (57) Critics Reviews
      Michael Wilmington Chicago Tribune Paltrow carries it all as lightly as a breeze on Highbury hills. Rated: 3.5/4 Nov 27, 2019 Full Review David Ansen Newsweek Emma's' unforced charm is a remarkable achievement for a first-time writer-director. Feb 27, 2018 Full Review Chris Peachment Daily Telegraph (UK) A good and creditable final curtain on Jane Austen. Nov 28, 2017 Full Review Roger Moore Movie Nation The gold standard for this frothiest of Austens Rated: 4/4 May 29, 2023 Full Review Edward Porter Sunday Times (UK) It leaves out some of Austen’s subtleties, but in its own way — as sunny, elegant entertainment — it hits the spot. Jan 31, 2023 Full Review Wesley Lovell Cinema Sight This is a movie that is as handsome and approachable as the day it was released even if it isn’t one of Austen’s best works in terms of its adaptation. Rated: 3/4 Nov 26, 2022 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis In this adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel, pretty socialite Emma Woodhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow) entertains herself by playing matchmaker for those around her. Her latest "project" is Harriet Smith, an unpretentious debutant, while Emma herself receives the attentions of the dashing Frank Churchill (Ewan McGregor). However, Emma's attempts at matchmaking cause more problems than solutions and may ultimately jeopardize her own chance at love and happiness.
      Director
      Douglas McGrath
      Executive Producer
      Donna Gigliotti, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein
      Screenwriter
      Jane Austen, Douglas McGrath
      Distributor
      Miramax Films
      Production Co
      Miramax Films
      Rating
      PG