Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Gone Baby Gone

R Released Oct 19, 2007 1 hr. 55 min. Mystery & Thriller Crime Drama List
      94% 184 Reviews Tomatometer 86% 100,000+ Ratings Audience Score Along with his girlfriend (Michelle Monaghan), a private detective (Casey Affleck) takes on the difficult task of searching for a kidnapped girl in Boston. During his investigation, he must deal with the girl's aunt, a disapproving lawman (Morgan Freeman) and a drug dealer. Read More Read Less Watch on Fandango at Home Premiered May 01 Buy Now

Where to Watch

Gone Baby Gone

Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Gone Baby Gone on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

Gone Baby Gone

What to Know

Critics Consensus

Ben Affleck proves his directing credentials in this gripping dramatic thriller, drawing strong performances from the excellent cast and bringing working-class Boston to the screen.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      Gabriel S When 4-year-old Amanda goes missing from a low-to-mid class neighborhood of Boston, Amanda's aunt Beatrice hires private detectives Patrick and Angie, who see themselves on a web of lies and deceit. Gone Baby Gone explores the violent world of drug addiction, trafficking, and the toll these acts take on a family. According to IMDb, Gone Baby Gone is the first full-featured length movie that Ben Affleck directed, and I have to say he's done an okay job overall. Not perfect, but a solid start for his first big project. Of course, he had a good starting point: the source material comes from a homonymous novel by Dennis Lehane, one of the screenwriters of this movie. A disclaimer at this point: I haven't read the book. Yet. Gone Baby Gone follows private detectives and couple Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro, detectives specialized on finding people mostly for billing firms. Their motivation for accepting Beatrice's request is a bit shady, but their ultimate drive is to find Amanda safe and sound. Patrick is a great character overall, a mix of a weak exterior with a brave attitude. Everyone dismisses him for looking young and naïve, but he is one strong lead, he takes no BS from anyone, and he is willing to die for this case. His development in the story is good enough, I'd say. He does not go under serious transformation, but his moral dilemma is strong enough to overcome his flat arc. I believe Patrick proves that you don't need characters that change from A to B on every story; you need someone that delivers a solid likeability leading to buy-in from the audience. We believe Patrick's motives, and his likeability is enough that we care for him ‘till his last act. Angie, on the other hand, has a minor role in this story. She is Patrick's love interest, but she is aside in this story. When she shows strong motivations towards solving this case, I felt that the story failed showing a bit more of Angie's development. Not a big miss, but it's there. The movie starts off with a monologue, which some die-hard movie-addicts might see as a cardinal sin. Being to the point: it is a sin mainly because it's just exposition. Patrick is the main character, but he is not really struggling with his emotions throughout the movie — at least through most of the movie. So, when we hear him talking to us, it feels like that, like he is just telling us information. Monologue is clearly a director's choice, and I feel like most of these movie's flaws are Direction flaws. Considering Gone Baby Gone is Ben Affleck's debut as a Director, I think it's forgivable, but these flaws exist. For example, another flaw is that the editing is a bit off, for some reason. Gone Baby Gone is from the late 2000s, but I felt like I was in a 1997's movie, 10 years prior to this movie's release. Now, take this not for granted, the story is good, with twists that keeps the momentum. I felt not cheated once, and the overall story progression is satisfactory, the plot intrinsically planned out to deliver the climax and outcome, both unexpected and full of moral conflict. And, to wrap up a good story, an ending that pays off. Good arc overall. On technical levels, Gone Baby Gone is simplistic, but that's good enough for what it is. The R rating is a good choice, considering the themes at hand. Speaking of themes, you should see themes like the sense of duty, right and wrong, toll that drugs take on family, family overall, and also what justice really means. Strong themes, but no strong preachiness to what they mean, just hints for you to figure them all out on your own. Gone Baby Gone is a good crime thriller with solid performance by the actors involved. The story is good and involving, and the ending adds closure to what we see. When the movie ended, I was debating with my wife the ending's implications — a good and fun discussion about what we've just watched. Hopefully, you will have room for that level of discussion too, meaning you've watched something that tickles your brain. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars 04/07/24 Full Review Derek Amazing. Absolutely a must watch. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/07/24 Full Review Eye C A hidden jewel, a great thriller. Mr. Ben Affleck should direct so much more, I can't think in one movie directed by him that doesn't like. And Mr. Casey Affleck once more showing us the great actor that he is. This movie is amazing. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/30/24 Full Review Brian K The plot is pretty good but too disjointed and to be believable. Casey is good but a little to disengaged, and some of the other supporting cast are very good. Michelle Monaghan and Ed Harris are only so-so (as their body language is out of synch with their written complex characters), and Morgan Freeman is miscast. Overall a 7/10. Over-rated. For example, Mystic River is comparatively a classic movie (9.5/10). Rated 3.5 out of 5 stars 03/25/24 Full Review Rodger G A brilliantly written, directed and acted movie. Ben Affleck's directorial debut is superb. This is one of those movies where you don't just watch it, you feel it. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/10/24 Full Review Jack V Bad, unrealistic plot (twists). The directing is great apart from the abundance of flash-backs. The ending is great too, but the way we got there was not. The acting is decent. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 03/08/24 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

52% 87% Lucky Number Slevin 32% 27% The Black Dahlia 17% 40% Cleaner 93% 86% No Country for Old Men 89% 72% Before the Devil Knows You're Dead Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

Critics Reviews

View All (184) Critics Reviews
      David Fear Blender Baby’s Beantown mystery benefits from Ben Affleck proving he’s a decent director with a knack for nailing the local Boston color of Dennis Lehane’s book. Then it comes time to wrap things up and splat. Sep 8, 2023 Full Review Ben Kenigsberg Time Out Rated: 4/5 Nov 18, 2011 Full Review Joshua Rothkopf Time Out Rated: 4/5 Nov 17, 2011 Full Review Ezequiel Obregón EscribiendoCine As it goes from a classic detective story to a moral fable, the movie gains intensity. [Full review in Spanish] Rated: 8/10 Dec 27, 2023 Full Review Brian Eggert Deep Focus Review An affecting morality play that leaves us pondering the movie for days. Rated: 4/4 Apr 2, 2023 Full Review Mike Massie Gone With The Twins What it lacks in catharsis it makes up for in gritty realism and tense moral struggles. Rated: 7/10 Nov 24, 2020 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Along with his girlfriend (Michelle Monaghan), a private detective (Casey Affleck) takes on the difficult task of searching for a kidnapped girl in Boston. During his investigation, he must deal with the girl's aunt, a disapproving lawman (Morgan Freeman) and a drug dealer.
      Director
      Ben Affleck
      Executive Producer
      David Crockett
      Screenwriter
      Ben Affleck, Aaron Stockard
      Distributor
      Miramax Films
      Production Co
      Ladd Company
      Rating
      R (Pervasive Language|Drug Content|Violence)
      Genre
      Mystery & Thriller, Crime, Drama
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Oct 19, 2007, Wide
      Release Date (Streaming)
      Apr 21, 2016
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $20.3M
      Most Popular at Home Now