No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes
      TRAILER 2:26

Midway

2019, War/History, 2h 18m

174 Reviews 10,000+ Verified Ratings

What to know

Critics Consensus

Midway revisits a well-known story with modern special effects and a more balanced point of view, but its screenplay isn't quite ready for battle. Read critic reviews

You might also like

See More
      Greyhound
      Devotion
      Operation Mincemeat
      Dunkirk
      The Monuments Men

Where to watch Midway

Rent/buy Rent/buy Rent/buy

Rent Midway on Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu, or buy it on Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu.

Rate And Review

User image

Verified

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Step 2 of 2

How did you buy your ticket?

Let's get your review verified.

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Regal Coming Soon

We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.

• Theater box office or somewhere else

You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.

• User image

Super Reviewer

Rate this movie

Oof, that was Rotten.

Meh, it passed the time.

It’s good – I’d recommend it.

Awesome!

So Fresh: Absolute Must See!

What did you think of the movie? (optional)

• How did you buy your ticket?

• Fandango

• AMCTheatres.com or AMC AppNew

• Cinemark Coming Soon

• Regal Coming Soon

• Theater box office or somewhere else

Midway  Photos

Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019) Midway (2019)

Movie Info

On Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese forces launch a devastating attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. naval base in Hawaii. Six months later, the Battle of Midway commences on June 4, 1942, as the Japanese navy once again plans a strike against American ships in the Pacific. For the next three days, the U.S. Navy and a squad of brave fighter pilots engage the enemy in one of the most important and decisive battles of World War II.

• Rating: PG-13 (Sequences of War Violence|Language|Smoking)

• Genre: War, History, Drama

• Original Language: English

• Director: Roland Emmerich

• Producer: Roland Emmerich, Harald Kloser, Dong Yu

• Writer: Wes Tooke

• Release Date (Theaters):  wide

• Release Date (Streaming):

• Box Office (Gross USA): $56.8M

• Runtime:

• Distributor: Lionsgate Films

• Production Co: Centropolis Entertainment, Mark Gordon Productions

• Sound Mix: Dolby Atmos

• Aspect Ratio: Scope (2.35:1)

Cast & Crew

Ed Skrein
      Patrick Wilson
      Luke Evans
      Woody Harrelson
      Dennis Quaid
      Aaron Eckhart
      Nick Jonas
      Darren Criss
      Tadanobu Asano
      Jun Kunimura
      Brandon Sklenar
      Etsushi Toyokawa
      Luke Kleintank
      Keean Johnson
      James Carpinello
      Jake Weber
      Jake Manley
      Wes Tooke
      Dong Yu
      Mark Gordon
      Marco Shepherd
      Wes Tooke
      Brent O'Connor
      Carsten H.W. Lorenz
      Ute Emmerich
      Alastair Burlingham
      Robby Baumgartner
      Adam Wolfe
      Thomas Wanker
      Harald Kloser
      Kirk M. Petruccelli

News & Interviews for Midway

Critic Reviews for Midway

Audience Reviews for Midway

• May 17, 2020

From Roland Emmerich comes the WWII epic Midway. The film follows several American pilots, sailors, and officers from the build up to the war with Japan, to Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, and culminates in the Battle of Midway. Featuring Ed Skrein, Patrick Wilson, Luke Evans, Aaron Eckhart, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, and Woody Harrelson, the cast is quite impressive; though some seem more like glorified cameos than actual characters. And the plot can be a little hard to follow at times, with all the different characters and battle scenes. However, the aerial combat and ship battles are pretty incredible and remarkably compelling (despite some weak CGI). Midway takes on a little more than it can handle and doesn't always do it well, but it's still an engaging war film that's full of thrills.

Super Reviewer
      • Jan 10, 2020

For anyone who knows what happens at Midway, and I assume mostly everyone does due to its big impact on the pacific war in WWII, you would need something really special to hook you in and appreciate and respect the film. Unfortunately, the film fails in one of the most important aspects : the screenplay. It just feels childish at times. To add insult to injury, some factual errors would really irritate any history buff : the American dauntless could never match the speed of the Japanese zeros, and this is a well known fact. But the movie is produced by Hollywood, so here you go with unlimited dogfights with Zeros losing most of them. However, this is a Roland Emmerich film, and you can expect the blockbuster feel to it. I don't argue that it is fairly enjoyable, but I Just expected better.

Super Reviewer
      • Dec 12, 2019

Movies that make me unsure if I really liked it or not don't come around all that often, but Midway will be the film that fits that description for me when looking back on 2019's film offerings. If you've seen movies like 2012 or Independence Day, you should know what to expect from a Roland Emmerich directorial outing. That said, this movie feels like clash in management. Written by first-time feature writer Wes Tooke, it definitely shows that he needs to grow into his talent a little longer. Although filled with exciting moments and some great actors, here's why I believe Midway isn't really worth your time overall.  After the attack on Pearl Harbour, Midway follows a group of U.S. soldiers as they formulate a plan to attack Midway. While this premise does make for some exciting battle sequences, it's undercut by side plots that feel slightly unnecessary to the overall arc of this movie. I understand that it was trying to cover all the bases during the events of this piece of history, but there is a specific portion of the film that feels rushed on top of having nearly nothing to do with the overall premise, so I was scratching my head on why it was even included in the first place. Other than that, this movie is fairly focused for the most part.  I think the biggest weakness of this film, however, is the fact that I truly do not buy that Ed Skrein is a leading man. I've enjoyed him as secondary characters or as a villain in movies like Deadpool, but for the lengthy screentime he gets here, I don't believe his performance held this movie together very well. I'm usually in full support of actors breaking out with large roles, but I'm just not sure he is one to carry the weight of powerhouses like Woody Harrelson, Dennis Quaid, Luke Evans, or Patrick Wilson. The entire secondary cast outshined him throughout the entire film and I really did think that was a detriment to the movie as a whole, which is a shame since he does have potential.  Now, I don't want to make people believe that this film is a pile of trash because it's not, but the most enjoyable aspect of this movie for me was also a mixed bag. Midway's strongest suit is that it doesn't hold back on the action. From the Pearl Harbour attack to the final act of the movie, there is a significant chunk of this film that's dedicated to action, and most of it is well-done in many regards, but it's far too artificial to buy into most of the time. Much like Roland Emmerich's recent movies, this film heavily relies on CGI, but I just don't think the team who worked on this movie truly delivered on what the budget was. A lot of this movie looks and feels fake, which really took me out of the battle scenes. With that said, aside from feeling artificial, it is well-filmed nonetheless.  In the end, Midway isn't going to be remembered as one of the year's best films by any means, nor as one of Roland Emmerich's better efforts, but it may please some action junkies or fans of the war genre. Other than that, it's pretty standard fare with some questionable lead acting, although it does feature some exciting moments. This movie is a fine watch in retrospect, but nothing really worth recommending and nothing I'll ever have the desire to watch again. Again, some viewers may get a kick out of the exciting elements, but it just wasn't enough for me.

KJ P Super Reviewer

Movie & TV guides