Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Leto

Released Jun 7, 2019 2 hr. 6 min. Biography Drama Music TRAILER for Leto: Trailer 1 List
      78% 60 Reviews Tomatometer 78% Fewer than 50 Ratings Audience Score A love triangle emerges around a rock 'n' roll musician, his protege, and his wife in 1980s Russia. Read More Read Less
      Leto

What to Know

Critics Consensus

A love story set against the backdrop of a pivotal moment in Russian culture, Leto captures people -- and a generation -- in thrilling flux.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (4) audience reviews
      Rilke C Summer,Viktor Tsoi,The Garin Death Ray,beaches,naked swimming,live concert and after party in apartment, jump through the wall Rated 4 out of 5 stars 11/06/23 Full Review dave d 'Leto', or 'Summer' depending on your translation is more like a spring day that gets hit by a thunderstorm. It's fun, at its best, and boisterous, but in the end it just doesn't add up to much. The musical numbers are fine, some are better than others, but why are we supposed to just forget what happened, isn't that essentially what a musical is to begin with. You have to leave reality a little, but to be beaten over the head about it took me out of the film. It's an ambitious project no doubt and one I have great admiration for, it just didn't work for me. Final Score: 5.0/10 Rated 2.5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Audience Member While not a true biopic, it captures a youthful vibe and innocence of kids trying to create and define music and art in Soviet era Russia. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 02/02/23 Full Review max k Brilliant musical reflecting the general mood of desperation of the 80s' creative youth in the Soviet Union. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/31/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

67% 65% I Am Woman TRAILER for I Am Woman 19% 21% Stardust TRAILER for Stardust 67% 91% I Can Only Imagine TRAILER for I Can Only Imagine 29% 67% Elis TRAILER for Elis 20% 36% El Potro: Unstoppable Discover more movies and TV shows. View More

This movie is featured in the following articles.

Critics Reviews

View All (60) Critics Reviews
      Ben Sachs Chicago Reader If you can disregard the derivativeness, this has some decent music and charismatic performances, and it provides some insights into the Western aspirations of Soviet youth culture. Mar 25, 2020 Full Review Amy Nicholson FilmWeek (KPCC - NPR Los Angeles) An incredibly imagined film. Oct 1, 2019 Full Review Kevin Maher Times (UK) Don't let the premise intimidate you. Rated: 4/5 Aug 16, 2019 Full Review Yasser Medina Cinefilia This dramatic musical manages to conquer me with the biography of Soviet rock legends Víktor Tsoi and Mike Naumenko. [Full review in Spanish] Rated: 7/10 Jul 26, 2020 Full Review Mina Takla AwardsWatch Kirill Serebrennikov's LETO is a tribute to music, dreams of youth and the power - and beauty of ambition. Jan 19, 2020 Full Review Zhuo-Ning Su Awards Daily What it lacks in discipline it makes up for with a whole lot of feelings. Pure, deep, preciously undefined feelings. Oct 17, 2019 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis A love triangle emerges around a rock 'n' roll musician, his protege, and his wife in 1980s Russia.
      Director
      Kirill Serebrennikov
      Screenwriter
      Mikhail Idov, Lili Idova, Kirill Serebrennikov, Natalya Naumenko
      Distributor
      Gunpowder & Sky
      Production Co
      Hype Film, Centre National de la Cinématographie (CNC), KinoVista
      Genre
      Biography, Drama, Music
      Original Language
      Russian