Rotten Tomatoes

Movies / TV

Celebrity

No Results Found

Movies Tv shows Shop News Showtimes

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

R Now Playing 1 hr. 36 min. Comedy Musical TRAILER for Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Trailer 1 List
      75% 142 Reviews Tomatometer 57% 250,000+ Ratings Audience Score Following a childhood tragedy, Dewey Cox (John C. Reilly) follows a long and winding road to music stardom. Dewey perseveres through changing musical styles, an addiction to nearly every drug known and bouts of uncontrollable rage, until finally, he wins the heart, but not necessarily the body, of his loyal backup singer, Darlene (Jenna Fischer). Read More Read Less Now in Theaters Now Playing Buy Tickets

Where to Watch

In Theaters Fandango at Home Prime Video Apple TV

Rent Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy it on Fandango at Home, Prime Video, Apple TV.

What to Know

Critics Consensus

A parody that pokes fun at rock stars and reductive biopics alike, this comedy sings in large part because of stellar performances and clever original music.

Read Critics Reviews

Audience Reviews

View All (1000+) audience reviews
      TheInflatablePig This movie changed my life ' wrong kid died ' Rated 5 out of 5 stars 04/17/24 Full Review Alastair S The best music biopic of all time, it may be the finest comedy drama of all time, just perfect John C Reilly's Magnum Opus Rated 5 out of 5 stars 03/19/24 Full Review Stephen J What?! Why such a low rating by the audience? This was a hilarious movie! I completely enjoyed this whole thing, throughout. Rated 5 out of 5 stars 02/29/24 Full Review Jeff M While admittedly a very likeable comedy with lots of great individual moments, most thanks to the talents of Reilly, I was disappointed with the movie as a whole and didn't laugh near as much as I had hoped or expected. That being said, I can see why this film has gained a cult following over the years. But much like another Reilly comedy, STEP BROTHERS, that would be released the following year, I just didn't groove with it. I wish the filmmakers were a little more ambitious and tried to lampoon more than just WALK THE LINE, as 95% of the film is dedicated to satirizing that Oscar winner. I love Fischer as Pam on THE OFFICE - it's a perfect role for her comedic talents - but she doesn't have the on-screen personality or charisma here to match Reilly. I almost wish Fischer and Wiig, who appears briefly as Reilly's first wife, had switched roles, as Wiig obviously has the comedic chops to make something out of an underwritten role. On the plus side, Reilly obviously savors this starring role, and to whatever degree this comedy succeeds, it's largely due to his presence. I was also impressed with the original songs, which obviously poke fun at their predecessors but feel credible enough that they could almost be actual hits on their own. What we have here is a very funny 45 minutes stretched out to twice that length. I certainly didn't hate it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. Rated 3 out of 5 stars 02/11/24 Full Review Aaron B The movie itself is bit stupid/ridiculous, but that's what makes it funny. Yes, it can also have a bit over the top. And that's how a lot of comedys were during 00s. The movie did come out while I was in high-school so it's very nostalgic for me. I would highly recommend but it's not for everyone. Rated 4 out of 5 stars 01/26/24 Full Review KJ S I will watch this film over and over. Great songs with John C. and Angela Correa singing together. All I{ can say if you are A John C. fan as I am this movie will cut you in half! I've been halfed! Rated 5 out of 5 stars 12/14/23 Full Review Read all reviews Post a rating

Cast & Crew

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - The Devil's Music Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - The Devil's Music 2:53 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - The Right Kid Lived Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - The Right Kid Lived 3:11 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - That's Amore & Walk Hard Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - That's Amore & Walk Hard 3:42 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Don't Want None of This Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Don't Want None of This 3:04 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Double Married Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Double Married 3:26 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Duet Song Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Duet Song 3:14 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Rehab Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Rehab 3:25 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Dewey on Drugs Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Dewey on Drugs 2:36 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Half Brother Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - Half Brother 3:22 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - White Singer, Black Club Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: Official Clip - White Singer, Black Club 2:42 View more videos

Critics Reviews

View All (142) Critics Reviews
      Nigel Andrews Financial Times The only gale-force laughter in later scenes comes when the hero meets the Beatles. Feb 4, 2015 Full Review Nell Minow Movie Mom Rated: B+ Feb 18, 2012 Full Review Alonso Duralde MSNBC ... starts out brilliantly playing with the tired tropes of musical biopics before utterly losing its way. Rated: 3/5 May 1, 2008 Full Review Farah Cheded A Good Movie To Watch The danger with a parody is that the joke can get old quickly, but Walk Hard is blessedly full of laughs that would stand up even outside of the spoof framework. Nov 11, 2023 Full Review Matt Brunson Film Frenzy This spends so much time dutifully tracking the clichés inherent in these types of films that a certain by-the-numbers stagnation begins to settle in. Rated: 2/4 Oct 24, 2023 Full Review Danielle Solzman Solzy at the Movies Fifteen years after its theatrical release, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story remains the be all-end all for the musical biopic genre. Rated: 5/5 Dec 21, 2022 Full Review Read all reviews

Movie Info

Synopsis Following a childhood tragedy, Dewey Cox (John C. Reilly) follows a long and winding road to music stardom. Dewey perseveres through changing musical styles, an addiction to nearly every drug known and bouts of uncontrollable rage, until finally, he wins the heart, but not necessarily the body, of his loyal backup singer, Darlene (Jenna Fischer).
      Director
      Jake Kasdan
      Executive Producer
      Lewis Morton
      Screenwriter
      Judd Apatow, Jake Kasdan
      Distributor
      Sony Pictures Entertainment
      Production Co
      Nominated Films
      Rating
      R (Graphic Nudity|Drug Use|Language|Sexual Content)
      Genre
      Comedy, Musical
      Original Language
      English
      Release Date (Theaters)
      Dec 21, 2007, Wide
      Release Date (Streaming)
      May 23, 2008
      Box Office (Gross USA)
      $18.3M
      Sound Mix
      Dolby SRD, DTS, SDDS